• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WCML 87 bash! not 100% smooth ride!

Status
Not open for further replies.

theblackwatch

Established Member
GNER? Don't start me off on them...Looked at a Kings Cross - Stevenage CDR, £7.25! Rip off!

Hardly a great deal different from FGW fares - Paddington-Reading is a little bit further, but is £12.50 as compared to KX-Stevenage at £11.00.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Craig

Established Member
GNER? Don't start me off on them...Looked at a Kings Cross - Stevenage CDR, £7.25! Rip off!
No mention of Sutton loop, I'll take that as a yes then.

Hardly a great deal different from FGW fares - Paddington-Reading is a little bit further, but is £12.50 as compared to KX-Stevenage at £11.00.
Don't, you're going to spoil his unfounded anti-GNER moan ;)

theblackwatch

Established Member
GNER LOVER!!

I wouldnt say that - I have several gripes with GNER, even though I think they are one of the better performing TOCs. That is, unless things collapse when they seem unable to cope at all.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
How on earth is that GNER's fault? It's not a bad price for such a journey, but FCC set fares for all journeys wholly between Huntingdon and King's Cross)

In recent topics we've had GNER accused of setting two fares too highly (London to Edinburgh/Stevenage), when in fact neither fare is set by GNER! :lol:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Still a rip-off if you ask me! It's nearly a third of my fare to London that!

Don't care who sets the fares really, it's still expensive.

I have foundations for my hatred of GNER, but I won't bother going into them here.

Craig

Established Member
It's nearly a third of my fare to London that!
What ticket is that?

Don't care who sets the fares really, it's still expensive.
You can't blame GNER if they don't set the fare though...

I have foundations for my hatred of GNER, but I won't bother going into them here.
If I was cynical I might suggest that you're not going into them because it's just more trainspotter bollocks.

devon_metro

Established Member
Just a query, do GNER have things like the excellent fGW Leisure Advance tickets?

£12 from Newton Abbot-London in some cases. bargain!

Ascot

Established Member
don't get him started on why he hates GNER, be here all month with our very own forum spell/gramar checker.

Coxster

Established Member
It's funny how people despise a company and then 5 minutes later it becomes the best company in the whole wide world and another one is then the worst...

Techniquest

Veteran Member
What ticket is that?

You can't blame GNER if they don't set the fare though...

If I was cynical I might suggest that you're not going into them because it's just more trainspotter bollocks.

Fare-wise on the ECML, regardless of who sets it, it is still a lot of money!

As for my fare to London, it is a Hereford to London Terminals, Route Evesham, Saver Return. This weighs in, when armed with a Young Persons Railcard, at £25.75. Not bad really when you consider that it is 150 or so miles by rail via Worcester and Evesham, obviously the same back on Sunday. So 300 or so miles on HSTs with some serious thrash and relatively challenging from a driver's POV, £25.75, with my free Weekend First upgrades, yes, seriously worthwhile. It then works out to be...around £12.87 each way. I couldn't drive it for that money.

As for my reasoning for hating GNER, I will post them at some point, but I don't feel quite awake enough to do so yet. Might try and do so at the weekend, I'll see. But Ascot is right, it's better not to start me off on them otherwise I'll go into a huge rant about GNER. Something I'm sure you're not exactly wanting to see. Maybe you are, maybe you're not, we'll see. I've too much to do this morning to type them up now anyway. I'll get them all noted on Sunday on here. Suffice to say their customer service is nowhere as good as they always boast about, that their Mallardising of their MK4s was a terrible idea in terms of the seats they used, that their buffet is prohibitively expensive...That'll do for now. I'll have it all in a more reasoned format soon.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
You COULD interpret them like that too. The MK4s one though is unique to GNER there. I can't wait to see how First handle the HST refurbs though.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Fare-wise on the ECML, regardless of who sets it, it is still a lot of money!
But it's comparable to London-Reading.
As for my fare to London, it is a Hereford to London Terminals, Route Evesham, Saver Return. This weighs in, when armed with a Young Persons Railcard, at £25.75. Not bad really when you consider that it is 150 or so miles by rail via Worcester and Evesham, obviously the same back on Sunday. So 300 or so miles on HSTs with some serious thrash and relatively challenging from a driver's POV, £25.75, with my free Weekend First upgrades, yes, seriously worthwhile. It then works out to be...around £12.87 each way. I couldn't drive it for that money.
Well, it's 115 miles 'as the crow flies' for Hereford to London, and yes I agree £25.75 is a good price! You can get a travelcard from Newark to London for slightly less, and that's 112 miles 'as the crow flies'. Both are examples of good value fares.

If your case is "fares on FGW are cheaper than GNER", then none of these examples indicate that to be true. Indeed, I'd say FGW are more expensive generally! And yes, people can book certain tickets to places beyond the FGW area to bring the price down (e.g. Penzance to York is cheaper than Penzance to Bristol, and Plymouth to Ipswich is cheaper than Plymouth to London - both examples at peak times! These examples were revealed in 'The Fare Dealer')

class 313

Established Member
I was waiting for someone to say that hehe,

It was a good meet and wouldnt mind doing it again but looks like time is almost up

Techniquest

Veteran Member
But it's comparable to London-Reading.

Agreed, Paddington - Reading is ridiculously expensive for the miles.

Well, it's 115 miles 'as the crow flies' for Hereford to London, and yes I agree £25.75 is a good price! You can get a travelcard from Newark to London for slightly less, and that's 112 miles 'as the crow flies'. Both are examples of good value fares.

Never knew how far Hereford to London was as the crow flies. Always wanted to know. Can you get a Cheap Day Return from Newark to London though? You can from Hereford, but that is restricted to Route Via Evesham.

If your case is "fares on FGW are cheaper than GNER", then none of these examples indicate that to be true. Indeed, I'd say FGW are more expensive generally! And yes, people can book certain tickets to places beyond the FGW area to bring the price down (e.g. Penzance to York is cheaper than Penzance to Bristol, and Plymouth to Ipswich is cheaper than Plymouth to London - both examples at peak times! These examples were revealed in 'The Fare Dealer')

I've never said fares on FGW are cheaper than GNER, that certainly wasn't the point intended. Indeed, the talk of the Saver Return was primarily made because Craig asked what my fare to London was.

Never look at The Fare Dealer, but that is due to not wasting money on RAIL. Virgin Advance fares are the best though. Hereford to Carlisle, with a Y-P, can be done for £7.80 single as of August 2006. I did Edinburgh - Hereford for £11.90 single in May, which IIRC was on a Bank Holiday and I was extremely lucky to secure that. My favourite though was Newquay - Hereford in August. Included an overnight in Exeter, but was something just over £10 single. Newquay - Plymouth - Exeter on the Saturday then onto Westbury, to Newport and then to Hereford. An absolute bargain. OK, so I had to get accommodation in Exeter, so that pushed up the costs a bit, but it was also the nicest hostel I've ever been to, so it was worth it!

Point is, all of these fares involve quite some miles (Hereford to Crewe on the Carlisle bash is 86.5 miles each way), so are brilliant value for money. I'd have had a £14.xx fare from York to Newquay if I had been just TEN minutes quicker getting it. Settled for a £23.95 (or so) fare instead, which was still excellent value for money (414 miles that totted up!).

Ascot

Established Member
Well everyone, Pompey are still demanding their money and completely ignored what i wrote so after phoning Virgin up they are fuorius about this and speaking to RPSS as i type. More to follow tonight. Hopefully

class 313

Established Member
Well everyone, Pompey are still demanding their money and completely ignored what i wrote so after phoning Virgin up they are fuorius about this and speaking to RPSS as i type. More to follow tonight. Hopefully

Why didn't you just pay in the first place?

Ascot

Established Member
Why didn't you just pay in the first place?

How about get ya facts right before babblin on shizzle.

I got a phone call today while i was stuck in Crewe as well from the Customer Relation team at Virgin and the person who is helping me said i was valid and it does come up on their site and is backing me up. So i will find out tomorrow what will happen.

class 313

Established Member
How about get ya facts right before babblin on shizzle.

I got a phone call today while i was stuck in Crewe as well from the Customer Relation team at Virgin and the person who is helping me said i was valid and it does come up on their site and is backing me up. So i will find out tomorrow what will happen.

Oh sorry Mark!

^^

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Mark was 100% valid, and Mr Taylor was 100% wrong and incompetent in the job he was doing. The people doing Mr Taylor's dirty work now are also incompetent.

Mr Taylor has made a false allegation against Mark, because Mr Taylor does not understand how Saver validities codes work (despite being an RPI), and he refused to look up the applicable validity code and the restrictions associated with that code.

People have looked up the code and confirmed that the ticket was valid on any train out of Euston.

Mark - keep fighting them. If it went to court, they'd lose. I'm pretty sure you'd get free legal aid but IANAL. Why not contact Barry Doe again? He is aware of it, and on your side, and could write about their incompetence in Rail magazine if they continue to persue it.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
We're all supporting you Mark! Fight the power! It's cases like this that will help get support for DECENT RPI/other rail staff training and to kick out incompentant staff!

Status
Not open for further replies.