• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WCML Closure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class 92

I was looking at trains from Aberdeen to Crewe for the 18th January 2014 and noticed part of the journey (Carlisle to Wigan) was made by bus. Is there engineering works happening or something because I cant find anything.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I was looking at trains from Aberdeen to Crewe for the 18th January 2014 and noticed part of the journey (Carlisle to Wigan) was made by bus. Is there engineering works happening or something because I cant find anything.

I would try and find a scenic route if i was you! Go down ECML and jump across on a little trundle.

Class 92

Well my plan was to do
1. WTC to CRE
2. CRE to EUS
3. EUS to KGX
4. KGX to ABD
5. ABD to CRE
If that's possible in one day?

londonboi198o5

On Moderation
WOW thats a good trip however i wouldnt say it could be done in one day dont count on that i may be wrong but ABD-KGX is approx 8 hours

Class 92

If thats to long then I could bring it short to Dundee.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I was looking to see about the Sleeper but under 16's need a adult with them :(

Class 92

Ok, whats the quickest way to avoid the Carlisle to Wigan closure without travelling by bus from Dundee to Crewe.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Ok, whats the quickest way to avoid the Carlisle to Wigan closure without travelling by bus from Dundee to Crewe.

If you go down to Carlisle you could do the S&C to Leeds then up to York then get the ECML to Aberdeen, i am sure that would be possible?

Having looked it is possible leaving Aberdeen at 7:03 arrive back at 20:48. No buses.

Last edited:

CallySleeper

Established Member
If you go down to Carlisle you could do the S&C to Leeds then up to York then get the ECML to Aberdeen, i am sure that would be possible?

Except they're trying to get to Crewe not back up north?

I'd probably recommend Aberdeen - Newcastle - Leeds then Manchester or Derby. Carlisle - Leeds could well get flooded with pax and would be longer by at least 1-2 hours.

Last edited:

YorkshireBear

Established Member
So to get to Crewe from Dundee go via Carlisle, Leeds, Manchester?

No i thought you wanted a round trip in a day? If you want to avoid a bus to Crewe then i would suggest ECML to York and then to Manchester then to Crewe. If you want to go via Carlisle then you need to take the train to Leeds yes.

Class 92

No i thought you wanted a round trip in a day? If you want to avoid a bus to Crewe then i would suggest ECML to York and then to Manchester then to Crewe. If you want to go via Carlisle then you need to take the train to Leeds yes.

Yep I do its just I wanted to go on the Diverted East Coast service between Edinburgh and Dundee also wanting to cover the Newcastle to Edinburgh section.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Yep I do its just I wanted to go on the Diverted East Coast service between Edinburgh and Dundee also wanting to cover the Newcastle to Edinburgh section.

Then go to Carlisle, down to Leeds, Across to York, up To Edinburgh then you can get your diverted East Coast service. Which service is diverted?

Class 92

My plan is to go down to London from Crewe/Whitchurch (My starting point) then up to Dundee.

The 10:00 to Aberdeen and the 14:00 to Aberdeen (From Kings Cross)

CallySleeper

Established Member
Best bet is probably to wait until you're sixteen if you're keen on doing the whole Crewe - London - Dundee - Crewe route, sorry.

Or find an adult to go with you on the sleeper.

Class 92

Is it possible if there isn't Engineering works on the WCML and only go Dundee instead of Aberdeen?

dave55uk

Well my plan was to do
1. WTC to CRE
2. CRE to EUS
3. EUS to KGX
4. KGX to ABD
5. ABD to CRE
If that's possible in one day?

Looking at the above, he is starting from Whitchurch and going to London via Crewe, thence to Aberdeen or Dundee and back to Crewe. Seems most suggestions think he is starting in Aberdeen.

D6975

Established Member
Looking at the above, he is starting from Whitchurch and going to London via Crewe, thence to Aberdeen or Dundee and back to Crewe. Seems most suggestions think he is starting in Aberdeen.

I'd say you're dead right there...

Most people do seem to be doing it backwards as it were.

The location Whitchurch: (Shropshire) under his avatar is a bit of a clue.:D

D6975

Established Member
The 10:00 off the Cross doesn't get to Aberdeen till 17:39. There's a 18:18 that gets you back to Waverley at 21:06, but being a Saturday that's about it. You can't even get south of the border till Sunday from what I can see. Hold on a sec, take it back, there's a 18:30 to Queen St and you can then do the 22:12 from Central down the GSW to get to Carlisle at 00:34, so you can only just get back south of the border.

Status
Not open for further replies.