• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WCML disruption - Grayrigg 28/06

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceat0908

Significant disruption near grayrigg. 423U supposedly had some smoke coming from it and came to a halt just north of lambrigg. Looks as if 1S42 is going wrong road from oxenholme. presumably only going to be able to cross back over at Tebay?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I'm in Scotland after going for a post night shift spin.

Uggh. I suspect I may end up in a hotel tonight

Ceat0908

I'm in Scotland after going for a post night shift spin.

Uggh. I suspect I may end up in a hotel tonight
Should be some services later on today - however Twitter is showing some people being refused boarding at Glasgow and staff on the ground giving conflicting information to those on Twitter. Obviously social distancing is an issue in these circumstances.

merry

Ooh, that is looking messy.
9S44 (0643 Eus-EDB) cancelled from Oxenholme, having been delayed 34m at Preston
9s60 (1043 eUS-edb) delalyed 67m at crewe, more at Warrington, now 84L
Other services heavily delayed NB, SB seems to be part cancelled, part running near time up to Tebay. 1S42 did indeed look to go wrong road past the incident.
Commiserations to all caught up in this.

LMonty

All line block taken, in order to implement SLW, and for staff to access the failed freight.
4S43 had moved forward, but had issues again and came to a stand.

brad465

Established Member
I'm in the area on holiday and heard the freight train is too long for any of the passing loops in the area. I wonder if there maybe future considerations over train lengths as a result of this disruption (which would be easier than lengthening loops)?

Falcon1200

Established Member
I'm on 1S58 1110 Euston-Glasgow C. Arrived Crewe on time, stood there 34 mins, stood Warrington BQ 26 mins, stood Wigan 21 mins and now standing at Preston, 104 mins late and counting. Just announced, no ETD. And as 1S52 1010 Euston-Glasgow C terminated at Preston we are now conveying two trainloads !

Anyone know and able to say what the problem with the culprit train is ?

Falcon1200

Established Member
I'm in the area on holiday and heard the freight train is too long for any of the passing loops in the area. I wonder if there maybe future considerations over train lengths as a result of this disruption (which would be easier than lengthening loops)?

This was an issue before I retired 5 years ago ! Certain freights are authorised to run above the standard length limit (71 SLUs IIRC) but are then too long for most loops. Fine if every single train runs on time and nothing ever goes wrong.....

LMonty

The ground frames should be put back in. There’s been plenty of circumstances where they would have been of benefit for situations like this on the WCML over shap.

Established Member
Should be some services later on today - however Twitter is showing some people being refused boarding at Glasgow and staff on the ground giving conflicting information to those on Twitter. Obviously social distancing is an issue in these circumstances.
The 13:35 Euston left people behind. The 14:40 was cancelled and there was a large queue for the 15:40 which was showing as being over 60 late, before it got cancelled.

I've given up and booked a Travelodge.

randyrippley

Established Member
IF only there was a diversion line between Preston and Carlisle........even if the electric trains had to be dragged by diesels.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
IF only there was a diversion line between Preston and Carlisle........even if the electric trains had to be dragged by diesels.

IF ONLY there were enough drivers and diesel locos sitting around costing money to make such a thing practical.

randyrippley

Established Member
IF ONLY there were enough drivers and diesel locos sitting around costing money to make such a thing practical.
Plenty of locos waiting for business just down the road at Carnforth with some more DRS ones spare at Carlisle

LMonty

It’s a shame that the Cl57 R&R work isn’t in house, as I’m sure that a drag via the S&C would be well underway by now, even if it’s 1 train in each direction.

Mathew S

Established Member
Oh dear, the 08:10 Euston - Glasgow spent 2 hours at Minthorpe and is now 5 hours late!
The 0710 from Euston arrived Glasgow about 20 minutes ago. Very quick turnaround and now on its way back south (with me on it thankfully). Every praise for the staff at Glasgow - and a trainload of very sensible, socially distanced passengers.

Established Member
The 0710 from Euston arrived Glasgow about 20 minutes ago. Very quick turnaround and now on its way back south (with me on it thankfully). Every praise for the staff at Glasgow - and a trainload of very sensible, socially distanced passengers.
I gave up and decided to take advantage of being stuck in Scotland to tick off the 'Spoons in East Kilbride. We've broke down at Hairmyres.

Mathew S

Established Member
I gave up and decided to take advantage of being stuck in Scotland to tick off the 'Spoons in East Kilbride. We've broke down at Hairmyres.
Don't blame you. I'd only been at Central about 15 minutes when this unit arrived, so I was lucky. I don't envy the people that had been waiting hours and hours in that queue.

Ceat0908

Anyone got any idea what went up behind the failed freight? Noticed on Traksy about an hour and a half ago something went up that had been sitting in the passing loop outside oxenholme for a few hours. It had the headcode on traksy of the mail train, could it be a rescue loco?

Falcon1200

Established Member
This is getting silly..... according to NRE this incident started around 1000 and the WCML is still utterly paralysed. 1S58 now standing at Lancaster 210L, no info other than here until further notice. This is enough to put people off travelling by train for life.

Ceat0908

This is getting silly..... according to NRE this incident started around 1000 and the WCML is still utterly paralysed. 1S58 now standing at Lancaster 210L, no info other than here until further notice. This is enough to put people off travelling by train for life.
I do agree that it is ridiculous and at a time when we are trying to get folk back on the railway, you are quite right about it putting people off, however there’s a number of factors at play which have made them not have many options. Although one of the factors may be incompetence…

Looks as if freights on the move.

Last edited:

LMonty

Things are now on the move, all be it 300+ mins late as a minimum. Some services 400+ late.
The sparky cat in question is now approaching Penrith. Hopefully they are looping it there to seek better attention.

_toommm_

Established Member
It’s been shoved into P3 at Penrith and trains are starting to overtake it. 9S54 is the first to overtake it some 5.5hrs late.

driver9000

Established Member
Anyone got any idea what went up behind the failed freight? Noticed on Traksy about an hour and a half ago something went up that had been sitting in the passing loop outside oxenholme for a few hours. It had the headcode on traksy of the mail train, could it be a rescue loco?
66305 was on the rear.

Stuwhu

Things are now on the move, all be it 300+ mins late as a minimum. Some services 400+ late.
The sparky cat in question is now approaching Penrith. Hopefully they are looping it there to seek better attention.

What is a Sparky Cat?

Last edited:

LMonty

What is a Sparky Cat?

My dad was on one of the affected trains (1309 from Crewe) and arrived Carlisle 3hrs 45mins late. He said it was disappointing that the shop on board closed, and there was no offer of water or another drink on board as it was quite warm on board The train spent a long time at quite a few stations so it would have been easy to get supplies if they didnt have any on board.
What is a Sparky Cat?

My dad was on one of the affected trains (1309 from Crewe) and arrived Carlisle 3hrs 45mins late. He said it was disappointing that the shop on board closed, and there was no offer of water or another drink on board as it was quite warm on board The train spent a long time at quite a few stations so it would have been easy to get supplies if they didnt have any on board.
Cl88 (Sparky Cat)
Cl68 (Cat)
That’s what I know it as :)

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Who would get stuffed with the cost of the thousands of delay minutes presumably arising from today's issues on the WCML?

The freight company?

Status
Not open for further replies.