• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WCML Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guinness

Established Member
Can this be moved to NR General Discussion please!! Thanks! :)

---------------

1st Day of Work Experience at Virgin was great! :)

I've recently heard and spoken to a couple of people about the 87s on the Birmingham Shuttles. If the set continues with these problems and with unreliability then Virgin plan to pull the plug on it. The 87s are apparently causing headaches at Head Office with lack of trained staff.

Catch them while you can.

Wilmslow Line saw lots of action today as XC and WC were diverted and went over Alsager due to signalling problems at Stoke. The line is due to be reopened fully within the next 2 weeks.

Plans are for another Pendolino set is going to be withdrawn from service because of filming for a new advert. The first class roof on one of the coaches is going to be taken off so they can get a camera on wheels or in the air or something like that to film. My guess is that the set will be used at the time on going sanding modifications are taking place. :)

[This post maybe used for editorial purposes (E.g. RailUK website) as long as credit is given to Chaz!!]

Can this be moved to NR General Discussion please!! Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
Are they organsising cabrides, guard assisting, simulator visit, signal box visit, control centre visit etc...? ;)

Didn't actually do any platform work on my w/e :( ;)

Guinness

Established Member
Coxster said:
Are they organsising cabrides, guard assisting, simulator visit, signal box visit, control centre visit etc...? ;)

Piccadilly - Euston and return Cab Ride tomorrow.

Didn't actually do any platform work on my w/e :( ;)

Won't do on mine. Safety Critical role.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Please tell me how you did/are doing work experience with VT!

I'll be doing work experience myself next year. (Preferbly based around Manchester or Preston)

Cheers
VoyagerDude220

Chaz said:
Can this be moved to NR General Discussion please!! Thanks! :)

---------------

1st Day of Work Experience at Virgin was great! :)

I've recently heard and spoken to a couple of people about the 87s on the Birmingham Shuttles. If the set continues with these problems and with unreliability then Virgin plan to pull the plug on it. The 87s are apparently causing headaches at Head Office with lack of trained staff.

Catch them while you can.

Wilmslow Line saw lots of action today as XC and WC were diverted and went over Alsager due to signalling problems at Stoke. The line is due to be reopened fully within the next 2 weeks.

Plans are for another Pendolino set is going to be withdrawn from service because of filming for a new advert. The first class roof on one of the coaches is going to be taken off so they can get a camera on wheels or in the air or something like that to film. My guess is that the set will be used at the time on going sanding modifications are taking place. :)

[This post maybe used for editorial purposes (E.g. RailUK website) as long as credit is given to Chaz!!]

Can this be moved to NR General Discussion please!! Thanks!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Chaz said:
Piccadilly - Euston and return Cab Ride tomorrow.

Won't do on mine. Safety Critical role.

Envy levels rising...Lucky soul, doing the route from Stoke to the WCML via Stone in the cab...Grr. And what will I be doing? Junk sorting. Fun-diddly-fun! Still, I get to bash a 373 soon! 12 days to go!

Virgin routed via Alsager, grr!!!

Nice to know you're having fun there Chaz.

Guinness

Established Member
WSXFan said:
Nice to know you're having fun there Chaz.

Thanks Jules. How's SVR going for you?

Voyagerdude220 - The best way to start Work Experience is to contact them. BTW VT don't do Frontline (e.g TM/Platform etc.) work (I'm an exception due to GCR :queen:).
[EDIT]
AlexS said:
The problem with the 87 is the DVT. 82126 is a shagged out piece of scrap. 82101 however works everytime! Go figure eh!
87s aren't much better either given there current condition.

AlexS

Established Member
Bar high hours they are fairly ok - shame that 012 being possibly the best of the bunch is pretty much out of hours!

Steal 001 in the dead of night, although it should go for cutters torch...

class 313

Established Member
Il be doing watford jnc next year, Cant wait!. Best way is to either speak to a member of staff *the DM or someone high up* Or email the TOC that owns the station.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
voyagerdude220 said:
Please tell me how you did/are doing work experience with VT!
Why not make a start by getting involved with the ELR?

A couple of members of this forum also help out there. That'll get you some experience, and it will also be a great bonus to put on your CV and help you to gain a work experience place with Virgin (I imagine they get a lot of applications and those who are already involved in a preserved line - like Chaz - would certainly stand out from the crowd!)

voyagerdude220

Established Member
yorkie said:
Why not make a start by getting involved with the ELR?

A couple of members of this forum also help out there. That'll get you some experience, and it will also be a great bonus to put on your CV and help you to gain a work experience place with Virgin (I imagine they get a lot of applications and those who are already involved in a preserved line - like Chaz - would certainly stand out from the crowd!)

Good idea, forgot about that option

cheers yorkie.

LucaZone

Chaz said:
Plans are for another Pendolino set is going to be withdrawn from service because of filming for a new advert. The first class roof on one of the coaches is going to be taken off so they can get a camera on wheels or in the air or something like that to film. My guess is that the set will be used at the time on going sanding modifications are taking place.
Not to say this information is incorrect, but whats the point of taking out an entire 390 set for filming an advert, when all they want is a first calss coach. On top of which in order to do the filming they want, they have to remove the roof! which surely encrouches on damaging the structual integrity of the vehicle. Not sure Bombardier will be happy about that.

It would be far easier and cheaper to build a mockup, and cater for any camera you want to use, rather than wreck a million pound(?) rail vehicle.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
LucaZone said:
Not to say this information is incorrect, but whats the point of taking out an entire 390 set for filming an advert, when all they want is a first calss coach. On top of which in order to do the filming they want, they have to remove the roof! which surely encrouches on damaging the structual integrity of the vehicle. Not sure Bombardier will be happy about that.

It would be far easier and cheaper to build a mockup, and cater for any camera you want to use, rather than wreck a million pound(?) rail vehicle.

Yes I totally agree with you.

Couldn't VT perhaps even just remove ONE FC carriage from the set they want, and let that set temporarily run round in an 8-car formation ? (I'm sure it won't really affect FC customers, as It's only unsurprisingly been busy in FC on peak-time [especially primo] services.)

Just to let you know, Alstom built the 390s for VT, not Bombardier (as i'm sure you know, they did the 220/221s).

The Snap

Established Member
I thought you were in the offices Chaz? If I'd have known about the cab ride, I'd have taken up the offer I was given! :(

Guinness

Established Member
Rich said:
I thought you were in the offices Chaz? If I'd have known about the cab ride, I'd have taken up the offer I was given! :(

I was in offices most of the time. Cab Ride was just a treat.

Coxster

Established Member
Chaz said:
I was in offices most of the time. Cab Ride was just a treat.
What offices are you in? Don't Virgin let you go around with guards for a few days or a trip to a signal box/control centre etc like SWT did for me? The only offices I went in on my two weeks was part of the tour of Waterloo and the offices to sign in for the Desiro simulator.

Guinness

Established Member
Coxster said:
What offices are you in? Don't Virgin let you go around with guards for a few days or a trip to a signal box/control centre etc like SWT did for me? The only offices I went in on my two weeks was part of the tour of Waterloo.

Ones above Piccadilly. Where the DTMs live. :)

Not anymore. A couple of bad experiences for some other people doing work experience on XC and journies are "too far" for insurance reasons.

I've finished it now anyway.

Coxster

Established Member
Chaz said:
and journies are "too far" for insurance reasons.
The longest round trip I did was London to Southampton and return which must be around 70 miles each way (140 miles total, about 1hr 45 mins each way on the services I was on).

Status
Not open for further replies.