• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WCRC banned from running trains on the mainline from 18th Feb 2016 now rescinded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristofferson

The ORR have ruled that WCRC are no longer allowed to run services on the mainline network as of 18th February 2016.

The effect of the attached notice is that as of 18 February 2016, WCRC are no longer able to operate trains on the mainline network until such time as they can satisfy us that its governance and operations meet industry practice and are fit for the scale of its operations. We have opted to defer the start of this notice to give WCRC the opportunity to move its stock to an appropriate place.

Read the full letter at http://orr.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf...-17-decision-letter-to-west-coast-railway.pdf

That awkward moment when you're a train company that isn't allowed to drive trains...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Townsend Hook

The question is how long can they carry on, with a suspension of one kind or another being issued every few months.

CosherB

Established Member
Hardly a surprise, and very welcome news. Time for WCRC to change for the better, or fail for the final time.

Kristofferson

Thanks and apologies to Mike for my poor formatting, I'm not usually seen outside the Trip Reports forum!

I can't comment on their other operations, but I certainly wasn't a fan of the WCRC driver's "roll back then hammer the throttle" approach to pulling away from stations on the Statesman last year, for sure.

Deepgreen

Established Member
The ORR have ruled that WCRC are no longer allowed to run services on the mainline network as of 18th February 2016.

Read the full letter at http://orr.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf...-17-decision-letter-to-west-coast-railway.pdf

That awkward moment when you're a train company that isn't allowed to drive trains...

A huge hole in the main line steam programme again. Essentially just the 'Flying Scotsman' inaugural run and the Belmond Pullman survive for the near future. It will be interesting to see who is able to step into the breach and when.

LeylandLen

It seems they have been wrapped over the knuckles a few times !
The 9 page letter from ORR is detailed and interesting, not that I can understand everything they write about..

BestWestern

Established Member
Perhaps it's time for the combined mainline charter operations to consider joining forces and setting up an operation to service their own programmes?

The incident at Wooten Bassett sounds serious. SPAD followed by parking themselves across a busy junction, missing another train by only a minute.

Seems like the culture at the business is the bigger problem.

BestWestern

Established Member
The incident at Wooten Bassett sounds serious. SPAD followed by parking themselves across a busy junction, missing another train by only a minute.

Seems like the culture at the business is the bigger problem.

Indeed. Failing after failing. Basset was sufficiently serious to raise awareness significantly, but there are problems at the very core of the management.

341o2

Established Member
Perhaps it's time for the combined mainline charter operations to consider joining forces and setting up an operation to service their own programmes?

Exactly. WCRC have had their knuckles rapped more than once, and I thought the suspension following the Wootton Basset incident would have been enough to make them mend their ways

Obviously not...over to main line steam website ecpecting to see a catalouge of cancellations

robertclark125

Established Member
How soon are the next WCRC traction provided tours?

I suppose for some of the diesel tours, GB Railfreight, which has been very flexible in the past, could step into the breach. That's of course providing resources are available.

ScouserGirl

How long will they be able to carry on for, they keep getting a suspension every few months! But this is hardly a surprise after all the incidents they have had!

The Wooten Bassett incident seems doing a SPAD and then stopping across a junction.. it could have caused a disaster!

from what I was reading on the 9 page letter there seems to be problems at the core of the management!

I have a feeling this will be the end off WCRC

a_c_skinner

Established Member
A relief to me, as a normal traveller who passes Carnforth regularly. I was surprised they carried on after Basset, I'd have thought that so reckless.

"Specials" are good, but not worth risking safety. I don't know what lies ahead for WCRC, but the site is worth preserving if WCRC fails.

Andrew

robertclark125

Established Member
How long will they be able to carry on for, they keep getting a suspension every few months! But this is hardly a surprise after all the incidents they have had!

The Wooten Bassett incident seems doing a SPAD and then stopping across a junction.. it could have caused a disaster!

from what I was reading on the 9 page letter there seems to be problems at the core of the management!

I have a feeling this will be the end off WCRC

I read the letter as well, and it seems damming. However, I was a bit concerned at the "not fully appreciating the seriousness" attitude by WCRC. And also, the incident at Weymouth; the best approach is to report, even if it is not required. Always report, as a just in case scenario.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
A relief to me, as a normal traveller who passes Carnforth regularly. I was surprised they carried on after Basset, I'd have thought that so reckless.

"Specials" are good, but not worth risking safety. I don't know what lies ahead for WCRC, but the site is worth preserving if WCRC fails.

Andrew

One wonders whether the coaling tower is too far gone to be preserved. From what I've seen Selside signal box certainly is! Is there an ash disposal plant at Carnforth? I honestly can't remember.

a_c_skinner

Established Member
Well they wouldn't work under an unsafe structure would they?

The Selside box is a bit past its best, but worse things have been saved.

I was thinking of the coaling and similar plants.

Andrew

RichmondCommu

Established Member

The Selside box is a bit past its best, but worse things have been saved.

I was thinking of the coaling and similar plants.

Andrew

As far as I know the coaling plant (and indeed the ash disposal plant, if indeed it exists) are not used because the structures are unsafe. I'm pretty certain that the original loco shed is still in use but unlike the coaling plant is not entirely built out of concrete that is now crumbling away.

EM2

Established Member
I don't know much about WCRC, so find myself wondering who their management team are.
I would have thought they must have some railway background, which beggars belief that they would be so cavalier with safety.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
That is a damming letter from the ORR - serious and systemic failures in management, safety, competency and organisation. Terrible.

tony_mac

Established Member
They certainly aren't happy with the Chairman!

their actions in the pursuit of safety are being negatively interfered with by senior members of staff on the Board, in particular the Chairman.

Further, the Chairman is making the decisions for WCRC regardless of the views and advice of other staff members and contrary to WCRC's safety management system.

snowball

Established Member
I don't know much about WCRC, so find myself wondering who their management team are.
I would have thought they must have some railway background, which beggars belief that they would be so cavalier with safety.

I get the impression from ORR's letter that the Chairman is the main problem.

You can look on the Companies House website to see the names of the secretary and directors but it doesn't say which director is the chairman.

According to this press release from 2014 the chairman then was a David Smith.

http://www.westcoastrailways.co.uk/press-release.cfm

Townsend Hook

It has been alleged before that David Smith ran WCR 'like his own private train set'. It does seem to be an operation primarily set up to support his various steam toys, such as Tangmere.

Carntyne

That is a damming letter from the ORR - serious and systemic failures in management, safety, competency and organisation. Terrible.

Really bad. Good decision from the ORR. No one on the board who looks after either safey or engineering? Glad they're prohibited from running on the main line.

BestWestern

Established Member

Are you sure!? As well as the total disregard for basic safety procedures while running trains on the mainline, there are problems at the depots, too. One visit at Southall included amongst the numerous failings Liquified Petroleum Gas being improperly stored - that's petrol, essentially, being stored unsafely in a depot with steam locomotives running about the place and maintenance work happening. What makes you think there would be an uncharacteristic concern for the structural integrity of obsolete buildings scattered about their operating premises?

The whole business operates under 'an unsafe structure' - the management structure!

DaleCooper

Established Member
Are you sure!? As well as the total disregard for basic safety procedures while running trains on the mainline, there are problems at the depots, too. One visit at Southall included amongst the numerous failings Liquified Petroleum Gas being improperly stored - that's petrol, essentially, being stored unsafely in a depot with steam locomotives running about the place and maintenance work happening. What makes you think there would be an uncharacteristic concern for the structural integrity of obsolete buildings scattered about their operating premises?

The whole business operates under 'an unsafe structure' - the management structure!

I think a_c_skinner was being sarcastic.

a_c_skinner

Established Member
I was TIC, but it is a big thing so you'd be really unwise to work near it.

Is this the last one left?

Whistler40145

Established Member
One sad knock on from WCRC's suspension is that 40145 which was on their Safety Case now has an uncertain mainline future as no other operator has it on their Safety Case.

Status
Not open for further replies.