• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weather related disruption, 19/09 (Storm Ali)

Status
Not open for further replies.

_toommm_

Established Member
I'm travelling fairly early up the WCML tomorrow (09:26 Piccadilly to Glasgow) so will update as I go. Will also be travelling in and around Leeds prior to this so will update on that front too.

Wish me luck!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

‘Highlander’ services from Fort William/Inverness/Aberdeen to Euston has been cancelled tonight.

I don’t think ‘Lowlander’ services will be running tonight by the looks of it.

Dren Ahmeti

‘Highlander’ services from Fort William/Inverness/Aberdeen to Euston has been cancelled tonight.

I don’t think ‘Lowlander’ services will be running tonight by the looks of it.
Glasgow portion seems to be running.
Path is in the system and the 1M11 portion is sitting in Glasgow Central Platform 10 right now.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
4M80 tit a tree at Langley Moor, aroind some 4 miles north of Tursdale. The tree then brought the OHLE down around 4M80 and onto the A690 at Langley Moor, closing a major arterial route out of Durham towards Crook and Weardale. One person was taken to hospital as a result.

My image shows a red line where the OHLE should be. The contact wire is hanging under the bridge, the catenery wire is wrapped around 4M80. The tail of which can be seen behind the trees on the left of the bridge. The offending copse of trees to the right and behind me

Attachments

• 20180920_015950.jpg
    20180920_015950.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 230
Last edited:

_toommm_

Established Member
LNER running a reduced service today from Edinburgh, with only the xx:30 departures running. The Aberdeen and Inverness starters aren't running, starting at Edinburgh. Looks like they're all going to be HSTs due to the wires still being down.

TPE have short notice cancellations due to damage to their 350 fleet yesterday.

FQTV

TP now stating on there site no trains tomorrow between York-Newcastle due to the fuzzy knitting coming down at Durham

Transpennine Express is running between Newcastle and York this morning. In fact, they seem to be managing to run more of their timetable than they usually do.....

AndyW33

There were also precursor effects of the storm yesterday at Liverpool Lime Street where a tree fell on the slow/Chat Moss lines on the approaches late morning. The northern trainshed was inaccessible for about 45 minutes to all traffic, then for about another 30 minutes available for diesels only. One TPE terminated at Huyton (very unusually) and a couple of Northern services at Edge Hill.
At Chesterfield another tree fell at about 11am and stopped all traffic for a while. The Norwich-Liverpools took the rest of the day to recover from these two incidents.

driver9000

Established Member
I think this was stuck in the area after a train hit debris.
It terminated 321 late so I suspect it was just a case of moving it from affected area.

9M54 was heavily delayed in Scotland. South of Carlisle the line was fine once the blanket ESR came off at 16:00. I followed 9M54 with no problems.

marks87

Established Member
Yet another thread absolutely littered with headcodes. Is it really too much to ask that 1) people who genuinely do know and work with them post service details instead; and 2) those who don't, stop looking at Realtime Trains to pretend they're somehow "in the know". It's genuinely irritating.

Anyway, ScotRail class 170 (170 404) took a battering yesterday (their photos from Facebook):

42249303_2214396861917678_4654575437291192320_o.jpg

42114278_2214396881917676_3624888265372336128_o.jpg

Is this due to head to Northern? Maybe just send it down today :lol:

whhistle

On Moderation
Said tree which was wedged under the front of our train very nearly got hit by a train coming the other way which stopped inches short of it thankfully.
I don't see a train "inches" from the tree in the photo...
But I appreciate the photo.

Yet another thread absolutely littered with headcodes.
Is it really too much to ask that
1) people who genuinely do know and work with them post service details instead
2) those who don't, stop looking at Realtime Trains to pretend they're somehow "in the know".
It's genuinely irritating.
So you're asking for no headcodes?
What about people who want them?
Perhaps the answer really is to post both:
1D24 13:00 EBD - GLC

Last edited:

driver9000

Established Member
9M54 is 10:52 Edinburgh Waverley to London Euston via Birmingham.

Clip

Established Member
Wonder if the woodland trust not regret that survey they put up on twitter asking to save the trees :)

Dren Ahmeti

Yet another thread absolutely littered with headcodes. Is it really too much to ask that 1) people who genuinely do know and work with them post service details instead; and 2) those who don't, stop looking at Realtime Trains to pretend they're somehow "in the know". It's genuinely irritating.
If that was directed at me, I was pulling the information off TRUST and the information available internally, I didn’t have the time to get the full service details; if you personally want that, then I can send it to you on PM?

route101

Established Member
On the 1509 TPE from Glasgow to Preston tomorrow , hopefully running ok.

_toommm_

Established Member
On the 1509 TPE from Glasgow to Preston tomorrow , hopefully running ok.

Currently on TPE up to Glasgow now. There are a lot of 350s displaced due to the disruption, so my service is currently a 185 so no seat reservations. Try to arrive earlier than normal to make sure you're the first on the train incase you get a 185 vice 350.

MDB1images

9M54 was heavily delayed in Scotland. South of Carlisle the line was fine once the blanket ESR came off at 16:00. I followed 9M54 with no problems.

Was a bad day for trees down yesterday and hats off to the PWay gangs going out in dreadful weather to get the lines open.

Three-Nine

Due to predicted high winds, on SWR there will be a speed restriction from 2000 between Bournemouth and Weymouth and from 22:00 on routes South of Woking. Believe the speed will be 50mph but not sure if thats the same for all affected services.

Dren Ahmeti

Due to predicted high winds, on SWR there will be a speed restriction from 2000 between Bournemouth and Weymouth and from 22:00 on routes South of Woking. Believe the speed will be 50mph but not sure if thats the same for all affected services.
SWR on Code Blue due to expected high winds.
From 20:00, a speed restriction will be in place between:
Weymouth and Bournemouth in both directions.
From 22:00, a speed restriction will be in place between:
Woking and Portsmouth Harbour
Woking and Exeter St Davids
Woking and Bristol Temple Meads
Portsmouth Harbour and Southampton
Salisbury and Southampton Central

bravesirrobin

I’m currently on 1500 King’s X to Edinburgh, which seems to be a IC225 instead of the usual HST. I assume there is a plan for getting it past the dewirement. Does anyone have any ideas?

gavin

I’m currently on 1500 King’s X to Edinburgh, which seems to be a IC225 instead of the usual HST. I assume there is a plan for getting it past the dewirement. Does anyone have any ideas?

Services seem to be running through the area your service has additional stops at Peterborough, Newark North Gate, Doncaster & Durham and will terminate at Newcastle

A number of LNER services have Special Stop Orders today to avoid large gaps in the service

Some late evening services will be diverting via the Durham Coast Line with replacement coaches running between Newcastle and York

The 9pm London to Newcastle will terminate at Darlington whilst the 10pm will go via the DCL

6Z09

I wonder if we need therefore to re-ignite the debate about whether NR should cut back all vegetation including trees from the lineside?
There should not even be a debate!
It needs cut back including trees ,proactive not reactive.
The state of vegetation throughout the network is shocking.

bravesirrobin

Services seem to be running through the area your service has additional stops at Peterborough, Newark North Gate, Doncaster & Durham and will terminate at Newcastle

A number of LNER services have Special Stop Orders today to avoid large gaps in the service

Thanks for that.

It does appear that we are continuing to Edinburgh, though. There was an announcement after Peterborough that we are being hauled by a diesel loco....which also explains the glacial acceleration out of King’s x. If we’re not, someone ought to tell the train manager!

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
It does seem that overhead electric lines are more susceptible to wind problems than diesel only lines. Having said that, there was considerable disruption to third-rail Merseyrail services on the Wirral peninsula yesterday.

InOban

Established Member
The government's review of lineside vegetation policy doesn't extend to Scotland, fortunately.

Bayum

Established Member
It does seem that overhead electric lines are more susceptible to wind problems than diesel only lines. Having said that, there was considerable disruption to third-rail Merseyrail services on the Wirral peninsula yesterday.

I really dislike being sarcastic and blunt on here, but state the obvious...

pnepaul

I travelled on the 11am from Kings Cross to Edinburgh, it was an HST. As you may imagine it was packed. North of Darlington I was expecting that we would slow down when passing the affected area, but we didn't appear to. I also kept an eye out for wires down but did see any, maybe I was looking in the wrong place lol!
52 mins late into Edinburgh, which wasn't too bad considering a late departure, extra stops and lots dwell time as people got on an off a very packed train.
I would also like to commend the train manager and onboard staff who did an excellent job in very trying circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.