• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weather resilience

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdeaves

Established Member
Here is a new thread about weather resilience in response to the Stonehaven derailment thread.

brad465 wrote:
If rainfall is hard and sudden enough it could be enough to cause a landslide on an otherwise stable bank. Whether the technology for detection exists or not, I would not be surprised if a subsequent investigation recommends reinforcement of every bank/cutting above a certain gradient and/or height.

Network Rail is effectively doing that anyway now around the country. Obviously, there are many constraints limiting how quickly it can be done. Also, certain places might have land ownership issues (do you want to say goodbye to your back garden for the sake of a 'just in case' land alteration, for example). Whether it would have made any difference at Stonehaven, I don't know.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John S2

A warmer atmosphere holds more moisture, so heavy rainfall events are increasing in severity - ie if a particular weather pattern occurs now that is similar to one that occurred several decades ago then there is the potential for greater rainfall than previously. I am sure that Network Rail is aware of this.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Increases the argument for HS2 etc. Build new lines to modern standards rather than Victorian standards. Or when a line is modernized, electrified do resilience work at the same time. Net zero carbon will also help weather patterns one would assume.

SargeNpton

Established Member
Increases the argument for HS2 etc. Build new lines to modern standards rather than Victorian standards. Or when a line is modernized, electrified do resilience work at the same time. Net zero carbon will also help weather patterns one would assume.

Of course, past "maintenance holidays" wouldn't have helped. Nor perhaps the changes in practices with regards to lineside vegetation clearance.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
It's very hard to get on top of as it is so random and unpredictable that's the issue. These storms create new problems, they don't neccesariy just flood your existing sites.

E100

Around embankments and cuttings. Strain (measuring the change in relative length) sensors could be installed at key points and linked to signaling relatively easily to spot earthworks failure. This would no doubt though be costly and time consuming, alongside introducing another potential failure point / maintenance requirement in signalling. The safety implications of requiring extensive rope access would also not be able to be overlooked.

Part of the issue is though that the actual act of the train passing can often be the trigger. The vibrations and loading can quite radically alter the forces acting upon the earthworks meaning that even with good sensors linked to signalling this would not be fail safe by any means.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Of course, past "maintenance holidays" wouldn't have helped. Nor perhaps the changes in practices with regards to lineside vegetation clearance.
Almost worth a separate thread. Lineside vegetation is I would have thought a double edged sword. Trees that have grown - surely their roots systems binds the soil etc together. But with less trees less chance of branches etc falling on the tracks. I am not a geo-engineer so not sure I can comment much more on that.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Almost worth a separate thread. Lineside vegetation is I would have thought a double edged sword. Trees that have grown - surely their roots systems binds the soil etc together. But with less trees less chance of branches etc falling on the tracks. I am not a geo-engineer so not sure I can comment much more on that.

It is actually the complete opposite to this and is why trees are removed alongside cuttings. It was once explained to me, but unfortunately I forget the geotechnical reason.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Did some MP beeattchh about trees being pruned because of birds nests?
It’s usually the local public who scream loudest about tree removal, they’ve become used to the linear woodland. There’s a lot of education needed.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Around embankments and cuttings. Strain (measuring the change in relative length) sensors could be installed at key points and linked to signaling relatively easily to spot earthworks failure. This would no doubt though be costly and time consuming, alongside introducing another potential failure point / maintenance requirement in signalling. The safety implications of requiring extensive rope access would also not be able to be overlooked.

Part of the issue is though that the actual act of the train passing can often be the trigger. The vibrations and loading can quite radically alter the forces acting upon the earthworks meaning that even with good sensors linked to signalling this would not be fail safe by any means.
They do have slope monitoring in risky cuttings - I expect the difficulty is deciding in advance where the risk is. I’ll see if I can find the last relevant thread...

So here we are:

...my post #6 over there links to a manufacturers website.

Last edited:

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Trees lead to changes in water demand in the soil with the shrink and swell (particularly in clays) causes failures. Very basic explanation.

It's fine if the slope is designed for them but victorian railway slopes are not. Hence why motorway cuttings are far far shallower.

brad465

Established Member
I live fairly close to the railway cutting between Maidstone East and Bearstead, where plans are in place to chainsaw down all the undergrowth on a slope next to the tunnel mouth that has been detected to have moved. They were meant to do it in early July, but high winds led to a delay, where the instability was caused by both the wet winter and very dry spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.