• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weekend first on GWR..... on train or in ticket office?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scousemouse

I always thought weekend first upgrades were on train only since it depended on availability of seats in FC.

I had the "pleasure" to be on a 10 car IET where the TM was in the rear set and I was in the front set with the customer host.

She took great pleasure in telling all and sundry that weekend first upgrades should only be done at the ticket office prior to boarding and that we were wrong to think we could upgrade on board.

I suspect there was a degree of being ******* off because with the TM in the rear set, there was no one to process the fee and therefore everyone in our set got free upgrades.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Unless something has changed drastically very recently, I'm 99% sure the Customer Host is wrong.

In fact I'd understand if TOCs *discouraged* selling weekend first class upgrades in advance, simply because they're subject to availability/ seeing if they can sell more expensive First Class tickets first.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
She took great pleasure in telling all and sundry that weekend first upgrades should only be done at the ticket office prior to boarding and that we were wrong to think we could upgrade on board.

If anything the GWR website claims the opposite i.e. that you can only upgrade on board:

https://www.gwr.com/plan-journey/tickets-railcards-and-season-tickets/weekend-upgrades

It’s really easy to upgrade. Just ask any member of staff when you jump on board, and they’ll be able to let you know whether any seats are available.

Journeyman

Established Member
In fact I'd understand if TOCs *discouraged* selling weekend first class upgrades in advance, simply because they're subject to availability/ seeing if they can sell more expensive First Class tickets first.

Yeah, if I'd paid full whack to guarantee being able to travel in first class, but showed up and found all the seats taken by people who had paid a fiver at a ticket office before boarding, I'd be pretty pissed off.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Someone I was travelling with attempted to buy a Weekend First upgrade for Great Western at Paddington station booking office on a Saturday earlier this year for travel on a train due to depart within halfhour and was told that it could only be purchased onboard.

Whether you can purchase upgrades in advance seems to depend on individual Toc policy so is quite variable. The forum fares guide has detail of Tocs which allow purchase in advance, I'm not sure how up-to-date it is however.

Jonfun

Established Member
Of course, if the TOC wanted to do it properly they'd either provide a member of staff to collect the revenue or give the Customer Host some method of issuing a Weekend First supplement (eg a duplicate pad or something like that). What's the point in letting easy revenue quite literally just walk out the door? It's frustrating for passengers that some people have paid and some haven't, it's frustrating for the staff to have to try and work out who is entitled to Weekend First complimentary stuff and who isn't, it really is another of those areas where with a bit of sensible thinking the railway could really help itself improve.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
She took great pleasure in telling all and sundry that weekend first upgrades should only be done at the ticket office prior to boarding and that we were wrong to think we could upgrade on board.S
She was completely wrong. You may want to inform GWR of this, so they can offer some suitable advice and training to the individual concerned.

philthetube

Established Member
I always thought weekend first upgrades were on train only since it depended on availability of seats in FC.

I had the "pleasure" to be on a 10 car IET where the TM was in the rear set and I was in the front set with the customer host.

I suspect there was a degree of being ******* off because with the TM in the rear set, there was no one to process the fee and therefore everyone in our set got free upgrades.

Note to Self. If planning on weekend first in these circumstances must remember to travel in front unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.