• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weird and wonderful railwayana / merchandise

Status
Not open for further replies.

telstarbox

Established Member
We were recently given these 'Tube map' bed sheets (sadly only covering Zone 1 :o ) - what strange and wonderful railway-related items have you got at home?

2z7eip1.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DJD200

Got the duvet cover and pillowcase set for Christmas :D covers most of it, just not the outer reaches.

Last edited:

fgwrich

Established Member
I've got a LUL tea towel if that counts to anything like the above! :lol: Apart from our ''railwayana'' (sorry, I dislike that word!) we've got a few things around the house and garden, such as Southern Region Ceramic Insulator pots used in the garden as Flowerpot bases, and I did used to have a nice and large foot long piece of flat bottom R260 type rail in use as a doorstep - Don't stub your toes on that!

I've also known friends of mind to make use of rolling stock seats in their homes - a nice bit of Southern EMU history in 2 friends houses, I've got the bottom half of a CIG seat and an ex FGW Mk2 table which will become a shelf one day.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I have a couple of BR Vee necked Wool Pullovers, one is short sleeved that I purchased at a heritage line in Wales and the other is long sleeved that I purchased at the Yeovil rail Centre. I Have seen other items of of EX BR clothes, shirts, jumpers, ties, jackets etc at many of the preserved rail centres, it is good to buy these as it raises some money for them.

Established Member
I don't know if these count as wierd and wonderful, the latter perhaps, but I've got an Anglia Railways Charter Mark trophy, a few rural line adverts from NXEA 15x units, a 'one' railway livery plan for the 315 refurbishments, a Bittern line mug, a few ties from Network South East, Scotrail and Chiltern Railways, an InterCity 'Swallow' hat pin, a Central Line train map, a BR driver's manual for the Class 150/1s and an InterCity keyring amongst other things.

Last edited:

Johnuk123

Established Member
Although not weird but very wonderful I had a nice collection of various railwayana which got dumped.

When I was younger I left a lot of stuff at my mothers, later on she informed me she'd thrown away all that "railway rubbish"

That rubbish I estimated was worth many many thousands.
I had over 30 totems, many works plates, shed plates, enamel signs, block instruments, carriage prints, destination boards etc.

I had thousands of tickets many unissued and pre-war and mint condition, all dumped.

When I found out they'd gone I was not happy.

CC 72100

Established Member
As of last night I have an SNCF dispatcher shaped USB stick. As you do...

driver9000

Established Member
I have quite a vast collection of railwayana mainly documents and books from the operating side. Among them are a Northern Rail/Network Rail branded 156 shaped USB stick, a Royal Train tie, APT working instructions and an unused oil tail lamp.

Last edited:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I also have a few old ticket wallets including some from GNER, Anglia and MML. Plus a 1964 SNCF Che Time table that I picked up last year in a book swap at Raynes Park, a Mid 1970s & 2013 Thos Cook European Timetables.

Drsatan

Established Member
On the "142 farewell" railtour in November 2011 to commemorate FGW sending its fleet of 142s back to Northern I bought a bottle of specially brewed ale on the train. It was called 'Pacer Pale Ale' and brewed by a microbrewery in Starcross. I have a photo of the bottle somewhere, but no physical bottle: I ended up throwing the bottle away when moving house.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've still got some Virgin Trains stuff from when the Voyagers and Pendolinos were still pretty new, indeed my brother's still using the mousemat and it's been used incredibly heavy for some years now!

Used to have a LOT of railwayana, but most of it has been binned in recent years. This included things like a Wales and Borders timetable from 2003, before the clockface timetable was introduced down the Marches. Wessex Trains timetables have also gone, as have all my FGW Guide to Services, weekend alterations booklets (heart-of-wessex and I used to collect those and hunt them down every week!) and plenty more. I did used to have some bits to remind me of the glory days of HSTs and indeed the early part of the hobby, however those too were sent to the landfill ages ago.

I think I still have a Thames Trains ticket wallet, in less than perfect shape mind, still lying around. I may have my 2004 First Scotrail one too, although the South West Trains one from the same year has probably gone. In all honesty, most of my railway stuff kept has been more personal stuff like my notebooks than owt else. Although without a doubt I could find plenty of stuff if I wanted to still.

Status
Not open for further replies.