• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Welsh easing of 2021 lockdown restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markdvdman

Well even Scotland has give a date of Augist 9th to end social distancing subject to the usual caveats. I reckon there is more chance of terraforming Mars than Mark Drakeford doing that in 2021. It is killing business simple as!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anthony263

Established Member
Well even Scotland has give a date of Augist 9th to end social distancing subject to the usual caveats. I reckon there is more chance of terraforming Mars than Mark Drakeford doing that in 2021. It is killing business simple as!!
Dripford facing a backlash dont worry. Many of us have said we will not be listening

Dripford facing a backlash dont worry. Many of us have said we will not be listening
I've said to one of my local shops i will not be making people wear face mask at all from 19th July some of my colleagues feel the same

Dai Corner

Established Member
Yesterday lunchtime I caught a Newport Transport bus to the city centre. Normally they put a decker on this journey but yesterday it was one of the rechargeable Yutongs with around 40 seats. All were taken, mainly by sixth formers who'd obviously finished their lessons for the day, with one standing passenger..

The driver didn't display 'bus full' or refuse to pick up.

TravelDream

'Dripford'? Some people need to grow up. If he was that unpopular, he wouldn't have won with an increased majority a few months ago.

The truth is that people across the UK (and I guess lots of Europe) are becoming more and more lax when following restrictions.
Places are busier, mask use is lower etc etc.

Markdvdman

Well Wales are now under pressure to set a date for removing restrictions. They need to as it is akin to Communism! Masks I despise but can live with short term but they need to scrap social distancing!

TravelDream

Here's the BBC article:
It is "difficult to see" how Wales can avoid setting a date for ending Covid restrictions now England and Scotland have set so-called freedom days.
Wales' former chief medical officer said it was a "big dilemma" for the Welsh government who will outline the next lockdown easing next week.
Dame Deirdre Hine said low case rates and high vaccination rates makes Wales "better placed to make that decision."
The Welsh government said it was taking a "cautious approach" to ending rules.

It's a difficult position really.

Wales has both the lowest Covid rate and the highest vaccination rate in terms of both first and second doses in the UK. 90.0% of adults have now received one dose and 71.3% both doses. An incredible achievement.

Drakeford has been very cautious throughout though and there is obviously going to be a surge in cases when things open up more with Delta around (it will happen in England and Scotland, and in Wales too).

We also don't know what's happening in England really. Grant Shapps has imitated that buses and trains may still make masks compulsory during certain times and I am sure some operators like TFL will.

My personal belief is that in England this is pure politics. Johnson wants a big bang of 'freedom day' or whatever. It's not sensible though. Things should be opened gradually and masks remain compulsory in indoor spaces with lots of people and/ or poor ventilation.
The politics angle is seen with the posters above calling Drakeford 'Dripford'. They are clearly anti-Labour/ anti-devolution.

Oh and mask wearing has literally zero to do with communism. If anything, it would be totalitarianism. Though, of course, the two can go hand in hand even though they are on opposite ends of the scale in the normal 2D system.

Markdvdman

You do realise the masters of mask wearing are China? They are Communists! They are the starters of this Covid nonsense anyway! Thw WHO need shooting for changing tact due to China. No doubt all down to MONEY!!! Makes me sick!!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Cases in Wales (North Wales mainly) continue to escalate, even if not to the same extent as across the border.
We need to understand what is happening to those cases (ie how ill people are getting, how many are hospitalised, and what the outcome is).
No point in travel restrictions being different to England, as most Welsh people use English airports, but social rules ought to be local.
Rules based on vaccination status would help, if divisive (as per the EU vaccination certificate).
Testing rules seem to be different too, for some reason - England seems to test more.
Wales is also behind England in getting personal health data (including vaccination and testing status) on the NHS app.

TravelDream

You do realise the masters of mask wearing are China? They are Communists! They are the starters of this Covid nonsense anyway! Thw WHO need shooting for changing tact due to China. No doubt all down to MONEY!!! Makes me sick!!
What are you talking about? Masks have been popular across East Asia for a couple of decades now (especially since SARS), but China are not the 'masters of mask wearing'. Also, while China may be run by a communist party, this country is more communist than them in many regards (they don't even have a national health service). China is a totalitarian state, not a communist one.
Honestly, you just sound anti-Chinese.

Cases in Wales (North Wales mainly) continue to escalate, even if not to the same extent as across the border.
We need to understand what is happening to those cases (ie how ill people are getting, how many are hospitalised, and what the outcome is).
No point in travel restrictions being different to England, as most Welsh people use English airports, but social rules ought to be local.
Rules based on vaccination status would help, if divisive (as per the EU vaccination certificate).
Testing rules seem to be different too, for some reason - England seems to test more.
Wales is also behind England in getting personal health data (including vaccination and testing status) on the NHS app.
I agree with a lot of this.
Drakeford himself said there's little point having different travel rules to England and he was right. Most people use English airports.
Vaccine passports are very divisive (just look at some of the people on this forum!), but they are one possibility. Especially in poorly ventilated indoor spaces like nightclubs.

Wales does less testing as we don't ask people to do twice weekly lateral flow tests as standard which they do in England. You can still get them for free though if you want them.

Isn't the NHS app England only? It is at the moment anyway. If you want to travel and need a certificate, you can phone NHS Wales and get one or do it online. I know someone who did it on the phone before the online option became available and she said it was quick and easy.

TPO

Here's the BBC article:

It's a difficult position really.

Wales has both the lowest Covid rate and the highest vaccination rate in terms of both first and second doses in the UK. 90.0% of adults have now received one dose and 71.3% both doses. An incredible achievement.

Drakeford has been very cautious throughout though and there is obviously going to be a surge in cases when things open up more with Delta around (it will happen in England and Scotland, and in Wales too).

We also don't know what's happening in England really. Grant Shapps has imitated that buses and trains may still make masks compulsory during certain times and I am sure some operators like TFL will.

My personal belief is that in England this is pure politics. Johnson wants a big bang of 'freedom day' or whatever. It's not sensible though. Things should be opened gradually and masks remain compulsory in indoor spaces with lots of people and/ or poor ventilation.
The politics angle is seen with the posters above calling Drakeford 'Dripford'. They are clearly anti-Labour/ anti-devolution.

Oh and mask wearing has literally zero to do with communism. If anything, it would be totalitarianism. Though, of course, the two can go hand in hand even though they are on opposite ends of the scale in the normal 2D system.

The politics isn't just on the govt side of course.

Difficult to criticise the govt for being political when Comrade Mitchie and Prof Pantsdown (apparently a Momentum member?) are key maskivists/locktivists and the international group i-sage is morphing into appears to have a philosophy of world-regime-change which is akin to a communist manifesto. (Momentum of course being the current-day equivalent of Militant, for those of us old enough to remember them....). At least some of the rail TUs are also badgering to keep restrictions if their communications to members are to be believed......

What is happening in England is business as usual in that the politicians are testing the water with bits of policy so they know what they can get away with. Same old. Whereas in Wales, Drakeford is also in "same old" mode in listening only to his close advisors and public sector commentators, and not considering local business or people who work for a living. (I don't know enough about Scottish politics to figure out what Sturgeon is up to).

TPO

TravelDream

The politics isn't just on the govt side of course.

I suppose politicians will play politics. It's in the name.

I'd describe myself as a Covid centrist, and can see both sides. Obviously we all want things to open back up, but unlike many on this forum, I don't think it should be done at any cost.

IndieSage really have gone crackers recently and it's hard to take what they say at face value. Still, I think masks are an example of something which has a very low-impact on most people. As does washing hands more often, limited social distancing etc. To me, it makes sense to keep them in place at least for the time being to see what happens with case numbers.

It could very well be the case that hospital numbers rise so much, another lockdown is brought in which absolutely none of us want to see.

You need to learn history!! China are masters of commuism! Look at Hong Kong they do not desire it as they are capitalist!
Mark. This is totally off topic, but it is you that needs to 'learn history'. China was not the first communist state and are not 'masters of communism'. China demands total control of Hong Kong. Total control means that people there have no right to criticise them/ China (the CCP see the party and China as one) or do anything to perceive to be against the party/ China's interests. Do you see where I wrote 'total'. That is the idea of totalitarianism. Total control. Totalitarianism is/was traditionally seen as a type of fascism, not communism. Though most 'communist' states nowadays are certainly totalitarian.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Well Wales are now under pressure to set a date for removing restrictions. They need to as it is akin to Communism! Masks I despise but can live with short term but they need to scrap social distancing!
What will happen is many people close to the English border will travel over the border into England and spend their money there as happened before when restrictions were different in the two countries. A large proportion of the Welsh population live within easy travelling distance into England.

MattA7

It appears infectious disease expert professor John Watkins is now advising that the Welsh government removed all COVID restrictions. Not sure if he has much say in the government but it’s good some experts are starting to agree with ending restrictions

Wales should now lift all Covid restrictions, a leading expert on infectious diseases has said.
Prof John Watkins said the link between cases, hospitalisations and deaths had "definitely" been broken.
The success of the vaccination programme and general immunity levels meant it is safe to end lockdown, said the Welsh and UK government advisor.
The Welsh government will announce any changes to Covid rules at its next review on Wednesday.
Latest data from Public Health Wales show Covid case rates in Wales are at 127 cases per 100,000 people - below other UK nations and most English regions.
The number of people admitted to hospital with Covid also remained close to record low levels, with the number of those in critical care also very low.

Last edited:

TravelDream

What will happen is many people close to the English border will travel over the border into England and spend their money there as happened before when restrictions were different in the two countries. A large proportion of the Welsh population live within easy travelling distance into England.

And as I said, the English 'freedom' will be rolled back as cases are bound to surge. Some people are such anti-lockdown fanatics they can't see it the wood from the trees.
Some people above like Mark have fallen for the greatest showman once again with 'freedom day'.

Beth Rigby quoting James Forsyth: This is key. Johnson promised a ‘cautious irreversible’ route out of lockdown, but ‘irreversibility’ was a pledge he could never really keep.
James Forsyth: In response to Jeremy Hunt, Javid says that if the data goes the wrong way then restrictions could come back

There's a lot to criticise Drakford for, but the Covid numbers speak for themselves. Fastest vaccination programme and lowest number of cases of any part of the UK.
Obviously some won't believe me as nothing in Wales can ever be as good as in England, but check the UK Gov website for the data. https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk

Dai Corner

Established Member
And as I said, the English 'freedom' will be rolled back as cases are bound to surge. Some people are such anti-lockdown fanatics they can't see it the wood from the trees.
Some people above like Mark have fallen for the greatest showman once again with 'freedom day'.

Beth Rigby quoting James Forsyth: This is key. Johnson promised a ‘cautious irreversible’ route out of lockdown, but ‘irreversibility’ was a pledge he could never really keep.
James Forsyth: In response to Jeremy Hunt, Javid says that if the data goes the wrong way then restrictions could come back

There's a lot to criticise Drakford for, but the Covid numbers speak for themselves. Fastest vaccination programme and lowest number of cases of any part of the UK.
Obviously some won't believe me as nothing in Wales can ever be as good as in England, but check the UK Gov website for the data. https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk
One thing Drakeford doesn't have is a Chancellor constantly reminding him that there is a cost to prolonging the restrictions. Indeed, it's probably more a case of his finance minister telling Cabinet at every meeting how much they need to spend by the end of the financial year.

Thus we have things like railway guards being told not to check or sell tickets and free travel for passengers not wishing to pay as is being discussed in another thread.

TravelDream

One thing Drakeford doesn't have is a Chancellor constantly reminding him that there is a cost to prolonging the restrictions. Indeed, it's probably more a case of his finance minister telling Cabinet at every meeting how much they need to spend by the end of the financial year.

Thus we have things like railway guards being told not to check or sell tickets and free travel for passengers not wishing to pay as is being discussed in another thread.

I agree with part of what you say. One of the big faults with devolution (and indeed local councils) is the devolved governments spend lots of money, but raise very little of it themselves.
It's not a spend it or lose it thing though. The Barnett consequential doesn't require money to be used and anything left over at the end of the year goes into the Welsh Government's 'savings'.

The revenue thing is a bit of a joke too, I agree. There was no reason why guards couldn't have been checking tickets after the second wave peaked. All guards have now had the chance to get vaccination and all but the youngest would have had both doses (Wales has 73% of adults fully vaccinated).

Status
Not open for further replies.