• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Coast Motors & Borders Buses

The Border Buses routes are great, make sure you check there app for any day ticket or route offers. I've done the two routes between Gala and Berwick, both nice. I done Berwick to Glasgow all on local buses few years back via Gala and Peebles.

I'm planning on taking the X95 from Edinburgh to Carlisle soon, can anyone confirm where in Edinburgh this departs from? The interactive Route Map and the Route PDF both say Waterloo Place, but the Network Map says it departs from the bus station.
Also is there any special reason I should download the App and use it for payment, rather than using contactless on the bus (i.e. is it substantially cheaper)?
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Not sure if this is the right place but I can't find a dedicated Borders Buses thread which is still open.
I'm planning on taking the X95 from Edinburgh to Carlisle soon, can anyone confirm where in Edinburgh this departs from? The interactive Route Map and the Route PDF both say Waterloo Place, but the Network Map says it departs from the bus station.
Also is there any special reason I should download the App and use it for payment, rather than using contactless on the bus (i.e. is it substantially cheaper)?
Thanks.
Oddly the Route PDF says the Bus Station for me, but the bustimes website (which is usually reliable) says Waterloo Place. Personally, I'd hedge my bets and use the South Bridge stop, where it'd have to stop regardless of whether it's going from the Bus Station or Waterloo Place.

The app is much cheaper - £8.40 for a day ticket versus £14.90 or £12.20 on the bus (oddly, it seems their on bus returns are more expensive than their on bus day tickets). If you're only going one way, an app single is £4.75 while an on bus single is £8.20, though this might not be valid if you have to change buses. That's important because it doesn't look like there are many through journeys so you will likely need to change buses at Galashiels or Hawick.

Oddly the Route PDF says the Bus Station for me, but the bustimes website (which is usually reliable) says Waterloo Place. Personally, I'd hedge my bets and use the South Bridge stop, where it'd have to stop regardless of whether it's going from the Bus Station or Waterloo Place.

The app is much cheaper - £8.40 for a day ticket versus £14.90 or £12.20 on the bus (oddly, it seems their on bus returns are more expensive than their on bus day tickets). If you're only going one way, an app single is £4.75 while an on bus single is £8.20, though this might not be valid if you have to change buses. That's important because it doesn't look like there are many through journeys so you will likely need to change buses at Galashiels or Hawick.
Thanks for the reply.
I was hoping to get on at the start of the journey to get the best seat! (It's normally an E200MMC on that route?) The journey I have planned is the 0830 which operates through.
Yes I would only be going one way; I had been hoping to make use of the Stagecoach £9 West Scotland Day ticket to go to Dumfries and back, but the 101 is the only route there, and the 101 arrival and 101 departure times don't match up to give an appropriate amount of time in Dumfries, so instead I'm planning on getting the X95 to Carlisle, some time in Carlisle then the 79 and 101 back.
Thanks for the advice though, I'll take a look at the app since it seems to be much cheaper.

Edirim

Thanks for the reply.
I was hoping to get on at the start of the journey to get the best seat! (It's normally an E200MMC on that route?) The journey I have planned is the 0830 which operates through.
Yes I would only be going one way; I had been hoping to make use of the Stagecoach £9 West Scotland Day ticket to go to Dumfries and back, but the 101 is the only route there, and the 101 arrival and 101 departure times don't match up to give an appropriate amount of time in Dumfries, so instead I'm planning on getting the X95 to Carlisle, some time in Carlisle then the 79 and 101 back.
Thanks for the advice though, I'll take a look at the app since it seems to be much cheaper.
Waterloo Place since covid started.
Always use the app for the latest info

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Was heading Eastbound on the M8 near Glasgow Airport this morning and noticed a Borders Buses Eclipse heading Westbound. Would anyone know where this would’ve been going?

cnjb8

Established Member
Was heading Eastbound on the M8 near Glasgow Airport this morning and noticed a Borders Buses Eclipse heading Westbound. Would anyone know where this would’ve been going?

Possible transfer to somewhere on the West Coast, Oban, Rothesay, Dunoon?
I think some Borders Eclipses were on loan to Glasgow Citybus. Not sure if that's the case anymore

route101

Established Member
Thanks for the reply.
The app sometimes has a single ticket or day ticket offer. I recall using one for cheap single from Berwick to Edinburgh on the 253 - it might have been £2.53 or about £4. I tthink all X95s require you to change at Galashiels now.

Yes, that sounds like a great run and I'm not doing the same route back.

I used the X95 from Edinburgh last August and it departed from Waterloo Place. It seems to change every so often. The buses were E200MMCs, though I'm not sure what runs on the Gala to Carlisle section. I had a coach last time.

Last edited by a moderator:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

West Coast Motors is celebrating its centenary with the addition of two new Plaxton Elite coaches, delivered by Alexander Dennis (ADL).

The 13.2m examples are built on the Volvo B8R chassis and are fully PSVAR compliant with 53 seats. Features include an entrance-mounted wheelchair lift, alloy wheels, head-up display driver warning system and haptic driver seat, vehicle wash-down and vacuum systems, heated front upper and lower windscreens, and a 360-degree view CCTV system.

Customer-friendly features include seats with extended leather headrests, piping and sports trim, armrests and automatic de-recline; seat back tables, magazine nets and fixed footrests; a pair of TV monitors, a smart audio system with Bluetooth, USB sockets on all seats, and onboard wi-fi.

“There’s no better way to mark our 100th anniversary than by taking delivery of two very high-quality coaches for our passengers,” says Managing Director of West Coast Motors, Colin Craig. “We are proud of our company’s rich history and look forward to introducing these new coaches to our many customers.”

Adds ADL Sales Account Manager Charlie Miller: “We’d like to congratulate West Coast Motors on its continued business success, and we are delighted to be able to help it celebrate such a fantastic milestone by providing these two high-specification coaches. We look forward to working with the team further in the future.”

West Coast Motors started in 1921, with its first passenger service operated between Campbeltown and Tarbert.

Rather smart-looking they are too. The West Coast livery really suits the Elite body, I think.

scosutsut

Yeah I agree the livery really suits it but in the same breath I can't help but think the Elite is starting to look a bit dated though.

Rather smart-looking they are too. The West Coast livery really suits the Elite body, I think.
I agree, my only concern is that it's only an 8 litre engine (the same as the new Parks of Hamilton Elites) (although I understand these vehicles were part of an order from another operator which was subsequently cancelled, so I'm not sure how much say West Coast or Parks would have had in the specifications).

cnjb8

Established Member
I agree, my only concern is that it's only an 8 litre engine (the same as the new Parks of Hamilton Elites) (although I understand these vehicles were part of an order from another operator which was subsequently cancelled, so I'm not sure how much say West Coast or Parks would have had in the specifications).
If I can remember correctly, they were ordered by Logans of Dunloy. They were ordered pre-COVID so probably have been sitting around for a while

Scotrail314209

Established Member
It’d be nice for the Elites to go on the Campbeltown and Oban services, means they can stop using the CitylinkAir Irizars.

route101

Established Member
Not that there's anything wrong with the CitylinkAir Irizars.
Have all the CitylinkAir Irizars been taken off the Air service?

I like to see a bit more variety on the coach services. I thought the companies were moving away from Plaxton elites now.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Not that there's anything wrong with the CitylinkAir Irizars.
Oh I agree. But I always find them a little bit stuffy after being on them for a while. I don’t have the issue on Elites which seem to have a much more spacious and airy interior.

DunsBus

Established Member
Borders Buses are to introduce revised timetables, due to driver shortages, from this Monday (4th April) and which are planned to be in place until the end of June.

They really do seem to be struggling - and have done so since Covid hit.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Borders Buses are to introduce revised timetables, due to driver shortages, from this Monday (4th April) and which are planned to be in place until the end of June.

They really do seem to be struggling - and have done so since Covid hit.

To be expected really, they're in a similar situation as First Scotland East where because their network mostly consists of low frequency long routes it's very difficult to reduce driver requirements without cutting services.

DunsBus

Established Member
To be expected really, they're in a similar situation as First Scotland East where because their network mostly consists of low frequency long routes it's very difficult to reduce driver requirements without cutting services.
There have also been a number of service cancellations today, some advertised and others last-minute.
The problem which I foresee is that the longer this situation continues, it will be very difficult for Borders Buses to win passengers back. To give an example, the last bus from Berwick towards Galashiels has been at 1645 since June 2020. Previously, it had been at 2015. Passengers have now got used to the early finish so reinstating later journeys, as and when things eventually improve, will be a waste of time as any potential custom for them has now gone.

Flying Snail

Established Member
as and when things eventually improve, will be a waste of time as any potential custom for them has now gone.
I don't believe that is true. It would be reasonable to expect it to take some time for numbers to build again but as has been seen with (at least some) rail services, a lot of people have returned to public transport given the opportunity.

The question will be do they have the finances and belief in their own product to resume as much of the cut services as they can for long enough to build the custom back up?

I also have always been of the opinion that late services provide added revenue above the numbers they actually carry, the presence of them make using PT more attractive for those who may rarely need to travel home late but are more willing to use services regularly knowing that if they are delayed or have changed plans there is a late bus to get them home.

aswilliamsuk

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Looking at the timetable, the vehicle requirement appears to be six (about a ninety-minute cycle on a fifteen-minute frequency). Ten seems...a lot, unless they are planning to increase the frequency.
If i'm not mistaken they operate the service with seven vehicles, so ordering 10 would seem about right when you take in to consideration maintenance and vehicles potentially being off the road to recharge. As you mention maybe there's also a frequency increase.

It'll be interesting to see where the open top Scania N250UD/E400MMCs go.

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
Looking at the timetable, the vehicle requirement appears to be six (about a ninety-minute cycle on a fifteen-minute frequency). Ten seems...a lot, unless they are planning to increase the frequency.
They usually have at least one often 2 sitting on stand at all times in town , so assuming that bumps PVR (peak vehicle requirement) to 8
Giving you 2 Spares on charge or in maintenance

WestieBus

Does anyone know if the 477/479 routes in Dunoon have been relaunched? I saw a 477 on a school service today. First time I saw a 477 in about 5 years

chiltern trev

The 2 Scania Omnicity double deck YR61RTU and YT11LSE which were on Mull during the summer and route branded 95/495 Craignure Tobermory are now based at Galashiels according to bustimes.org.

Have these buses retained their 95/495 route branding?

Is this a tourist off season transfer meaning they will return to Mull for 2023 summer season?

Anyone know the whereabouts of Astromega formerly M40WCM which suffered a fire and thus withdrawn from service - has it been scrapped?

InOban

Established Member
Does anyone know if the 477/479 routes in Dunoon have been relaunched? I saw a 477 on a school service today. First time I saw a 477 in about 5 years
Neither number is listed on the WCM timetable website. It's possible that because of the ScoGov free buses for everyone under 22, that pupils are taking the bus rather than walking and they've had to put on an additional service.

477 is that Dunoon to Rothesay?
478 is the service from Dunoon to Colintraive

route101

Established Member
Neither number is listed on the WCM timetable website. It's possible that because of the ScoGov free buses for everyone under 22, that pupils are taking the bus rather than walking and they've had to put on an additional service.

478 is the service from Dunoon to Colintraive
I guess the service using the ferry is long gone.