• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Country Independents

Marcus Fryer

It's already unreliable, working it off the end of a random collection of irregular services should remove the remaining passengers fairly quickly!

I personally don't find it as unreliable as the 18 or 82, which seem to suffer more from cancellations. Also, its punctuality seems better than some other routes in north Bristol.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

carlberry

Established Member
Although the X14 was a South Wales operation not a West one! Obviously Stagecoach want to move into Bristol. To be honest I'm surprised they didn't go for the 16 and link it into the 86.

As for the 77 I am amazed Stagecoach have won it. I think First are playing a dangerous game, allowing them to take over these routes and get a foot in the door in Bristol.

We know the routes that they won, not the ones they went for. And First are not 'allowing' them to take these routes, they win them because they put in a lower bid than anybody else. The difference now is that there's so little contracted work available it isnt going to provide a sensible springboard like it could in the past (Wessex for example).

The new 'metro mayor' could change everything anyway (other than in North Somerset!).

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
We know the routes that they won, not the ones they went for. And First are not 'allowing' them to take these routes, they win them because they put in a lower bid than anybody else. The difference now is that there's so little contracted work available it isnt going to provide a sensible springboard like it could in the past (Wessex for example).

The new 'metro mayor' could change everything anyway (other than in North Somerset!).

There was talk that Stagecoach were going to have a Yate area outbase but AFAIK, the routes are operated from Stroud and Gloucester.

I've certainly passed a Stagecoach e200 on the A46 between Tormarton and Stroud heading back to base in the early evening

Citistar

First have been very protectionist over some curious parts of their network in the recent past and it wouldn't be out of character for them to decide to continue the service commercially if it is awarded to somebody else.

These Bristol contracts were hurried through before the MetroMayor is elected, primarily because public transport will fall under the remit of New Avon and will probably take years before they are able to make decisions about anything.

THarris123

Established Member
First have been very protectionist over some curious parts of their network in the recent past and it wouldn't be out of character for them to decide to continue the service commercially if it is awarded to somebody else.

These Bristol contracts were hurried through before the MetroMayor is elected, primarily because public transport will fall under the remit of New Avon and will probably take years before they are able to make decisions about anything.

Citistar? Really? Why not Jopijedd?

winston270twm

Established Member
PH1066711/134 Registered (Short notice)
WESSEX BUS LTD
Route: Bicester North Railway Station to Bicester Village Railway Station
Service number: Bicester Village Shuttle
Service type: Normal Stopping
Effective date: 01 May 2017

swifty

Established Member
A very rare working having seen most types of the Wessex fleet on the 505, tonight saw B9TL/Gemini BX62 FOJ. And talking of Park & Ride last night RUH branded YJ62FHV was abandoned just before Parkway on the 625.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Just a word on Service 16 (Stoke Bishop - University of Bristol) which is currently run bby Wessex. Steve White's website says that First have won this and that it "will be run with new Hi Spec buses and starts in September."

Dave

BBC

Just a word on Service 16 (Stoke Bishop - University of Bristol) which is currently run bby Wessex. Steve White's website says that First have won this and that it "will be run with new Hi Spec buses and starts in September."

Dave

Iv heard this from a few different people so I'm starting to believe it myself! maybe the new gas bus as one of the buses ?

1905 Group

Does anyone know if CT Plus' DP1 is still there? If so I wonder if that might be used on some of the new stuff they've picked up. Just a theory, nothing backing it up

RhysHand

Does anyone know if CT Plus' DP1 is still there? If so I wonder if that might be used on some of the new stuff they've picked up. Just a theory, nothing backing it up

It is still there, parked next to one of my vehicles. However, the contacts specify 3 years or newer, HCT Group will put new vehicles in and my bet is, they'll transfer some 2 year old solo SR's from Jersey.

1905 Group

It is still there, parked next to one of my vehicles. However, the contacts specify 3 years or newer, HCT Group will put new vehicles in and my bet is, they'll transfer some 2 year old solo SR's from Jersey.

Interesting, I wasn't aware of the age being specified - Wessex used much older vehicles on the routes I'm sure. I'm assuming the contract has changed? That sounds like a likely plan though, more Solo SRs in Bristol then :roll: Wonder if the Dart will be sold, go elsewhere, it be used as a spare perhaps?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
In the absence of other places to record....

Plenty of preserved vehicles out on the road over the weekend. Friday saw Routemaster RM2208 trundle into Wells from Shepton. City line Lynx 1622 was heading through Briz on Saturday lunchtime. Bristol RE OHU770F was on Weston front today alongside a load of classic cars.

ChrisPJ

HCT don't have any buses younger than 4 years old in Jersey so you can forget the thought of any vehicles coming from there.

RhysHand

HCT don't have any buses younger than 4 years old in Jersey so you can forget the thought of any vehicles coming from there.

I've just checked the tender documents and the contacts specify 5 years or newer. I expect HCT will use new Enviro 200 MMC's too.

Volvodart

Established Member
Care to say more?

http://www.stagecoach.com/media/news-releases/2017/2017-04-18.aspx

MEGABUS.COM LAUNCHES SERVICES TO HEATHROW AND GATWICK AIRPORTS

18 Apr 2017

• Five new routes added to budget coach network from 1 May 2017

• Direct links to Heathrow from Barnstaple, Cardiff, Bath, Chippenham, Cheltenham, Gloucester, Swindon, and Bristol

• Direct link to Gatwick from Cardiff, Bristol and Heathrow

• Tickets from £1* on sale for new routes at megabus.com

Leading low cost coach operator megabus.com today (18 April) announced a significant network expansion with the addition of a series of new routes across England and Wales.

The company – part of international transport group Stagecoach – has partnered with South Gloucestershire Bus and Coach Company Ltd to deliver five new routes across the midlands and south west of England. The Bristol based company will operate the new routes as part of the megabus.com network, offering direct links to Heathrow or Gatwick from 13 towns and cities from 1 May 2017.

The news means that megabus.com – which is known for offering fares from just £1* - now provides its first direct links to Heathrow and Gatwick airports, with daily departures to Heathrow from Barnstaple, Cardiff, Bristol, Bath, Gloucester, Cheltenham and new links between Cardiff, Bristol and Gatwick.

A fleet of 26 coaches, which will bear the well known blue and yellow megabus.com livery, will operate the new services from the South Gloucestershire Bus and Coach Company depot in Bristol.

Tickets for all journeys are now available at www.megabus.com, with fares from £1*.

To celebrate this exciting launch, megabus.com has also confirmed that tickets for travel during the first week of the new services, (from 1st – 7th May 2017 ) will all be priced at just £1*.

Travel on the below routes will begin from 1 May:

• M6a Barnstaple-Tiverton-Taunton- Bridgwater- Bristol-Heathrow Airport- London Victoria

• M38 Barnstaple- Tiverton- Taunton- Bridgwater- Bristol- Gloucester-Birmingham- Leicester- Loughborough University – Nottingham Trent University- Nottingham City Centre

• M25 Cardiff- Bristol- Heathrow Airport - Gatwick Airport

• M18 Bath- Corsham- Chippenham- Heathrow Airport- London Victoria

• M14 Gloucester- Cheltenham- Cirencester- Swindon- Heathrow Airport - London Victoria

megabus.com Managing Director Edward Hodgson said: “We are delighted to add these latest routes to the megabus.com network. We are excited to be offering, for the first time, direct services to both Heathrow and Gatwick airports, providing passengers the cheapest possible option for travelling to and from these key hubs which are used by millions of people every year.

“We’re also providing new services right to the heart of two key universities in the East Midlands- Nottingham Trent and Loughborough and the West Country- University of Bath, opening up great value travel for even more students.

“Our aim is to provide new affordable transport options for people who previously may not have been able to afford to make these journeys, and by doing so we are delivering a boost to tourism and local communities. We look forward to continuing to welcoming more customers on board."

South Gloucestershire Bus and Coach Company Ltd Managing Director Roger Durbin said: “We are delighted to be joining forces with megabus.com. We have watched megabus.com grow and develop for a number of years and very much look forward to working in partnership with them to provide a top class service on these routes.”

Fares on every megabus.com journey start from just £1*. All services operate using vehicles with free Wi-Fi, power sockets, air conditioning and a toilet. megabus.com, part of Stagecoach Group in Scotland, has operated since 2003. It expanded from the UK to North America in 2006.

megabus.com carries more than 15 million passengers a year across UK and North America.

Last edited:

winston270twm

Established Member
Wessex are starting on the 90 in competiton with First from June:

PH1066711/135
WESSEX BUS LTD, CROSS QUAYS BUSINESS
PARK, HALLBRIDGE WAY, TIVIDALE,
OLDBURY, B69 3HW
To: Broadmead, The Horsefair
Via: Bedminster
Name or No.: 90
Effective date: 12 June 2017
Other details: Monday to Saturday excluding bank holidays

BBC

PH1066711/135
OLDBURY, B69 3HW

How will Metrobus effect the 90 ?

swifty

Established Member

PH1066711/135
OLDBURY, B69 3HW

Hahaha! I give it 3 months, all they do is block bus stops and pee off First passengers.

carlberry

Established Member

PH1066711/135
OLDBURY, B69 3HW

It's good to see companies trying something new and innovative!

winston270twm

Established Member
It's good to see companies trying something new and innovative!

Ah, you mean along the lines of First's '48A' & 'UWE' service..... I'm sure Wessex will bring cheaper fares for passengers to the 90 route.

I wonder how long after the 12th June the additional First short workings to Inns Court Green will start??

BBC

Ah, you mean along the lines of First's '48A' & 'UWE' service..... I'm sure Wessex will bring cheaper fares for passengers to the 90 route.

I wonder how long after the 12th June the additional First short workings to Inns Court Green will start??

These cheaper fares haven't worked on the one or one2. No reason to think it will work on this !

vicbury

These cheaper fares haven't worked on the one or one2. No reason to think it will work on this !

Nor did cheaper fares work on the 14 versus 4 in Bath. I guess customers in the West of England are less price sensitive and would rather have the flexibility or late night journeys and a decent Sunday service.

Maybe, if Wessex provided a service during all the hours that First does, price could become a differentiator.