• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Country Independents

THarris123

Established Member
Change to Abus 349 has gone through VOSA effective Sept.

Stagecoach have made changes to 62/60 and to 620 - looks like the Tetbury to Old Sodbury section of 620 has been cancelled. I wonder if 69 will be interworked with 620 (Bath to Stroud)?

A registration has gone through for South West Coaches for X10 and 40 (Yeovil to Bridport) now appears to be run by Dorset County Council.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

freetoview33

Established Member
As I think I mentioned a while ago, the funding was due to run out.

It was another ridiculous dead duck/vanity project though Wessex have done nicely. They done well with the 901 and 637 in the past - getting paid to run buses without the added complication of passengers ;)

To be fair the 901 was just madness at a 20 min frequency, although towards the end it was starting to carry people on most trips! A half hour frequency might have worked for a longer period of time.

I can't comment on the 637.

But the snf does carry people. Avonmouth is still tricky one, the 3 does take passengers from part of the area now. I think there is a future for the snf. Even if it did a loop of western app park to and from St Andrews Road station.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
To be fair the 901 was just madness at a 20 min frequency, although towards the end it was starting to carry people on most trips! A half hour frequency might have worked for a longer period of time.

I can't comment on the 637.

But the snf does carry people. Avonmouth is still tricky one, the 3 does take passengers from part of the area now. I think there is a future for the snf. Even if it did a loop of western app park to and from St Andrews Road station.

There is no future for the SNF and I saw the 901 countless times with no one on even towards the end. Most I ever saw was 3 so even half hourly would've been overkill. 637 was equally as parlous.

That's why they're no longer around!

matt_splat

There is no future for the SNF and I saw the 901 countless times with no one on even towards the end. Most I ever saw was 3 so even half hourly would've been overkill. 637 was equally as parlous.

That's why they're no longer around!

if the bus stop flags and timetables was put in place and people knew the service existed the SNF could actually do quite well.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
if the bus stop flags and timetables was put in place and people knew the service existed the SNF could actually do quite well.

I really don't think so Matt.

Think of the market - who's going to use it? Avonmouth is hardly a big place for generating passengers and are we thinking that someone who works at the Coop DC is going to be living in Clifton and getting the train AND changing?

You'll get the odd person (I've seldom seen anyone - just the odd one) but I can't see where the people are going to come from?

DaveHarries

Established Member
Change to Abus 349 has gone through VOSA effective Sept.

Stagecoach have made changes to 62/60 and to 620 - looks like the Tetbury to Old Sodbury section of 620 has been cancelled. I wonder if 69 will be interworked with 620 (Bath to Stroud)?

A registration has gone through for South West Coaches for X10 and 40 (Yeovil to Bridport) now appears to be run by Dorset County Council.
Hmm. Wonder what the changes to the 62/60 will be? I haven't seen anything online about this although if the Tetbury to Old Sodbury section of the 620 has been dropped I wonder if the 620 will move to the new depot in the Bristol area.

The 62/X62 seems to have varying fortunes on a day-to-day basis: some days I see nobody on it and other days some of the trips I see have quite a few on, both OAPs and paying passengers.

Dave

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Hmm. Wonder what the changes to the 62/60 will be? I haven't seen anything online about this although if the Tetbury to Old Sodbury section of the 620 has been dropped I wonder if the 620 will move to the new depot in the Bristol area.

The 62/X62 seems to have varying fortunes on a day-to-day basis: some days I see nobody on it and other days some of the trips I see have quite a few on, both OAPs and paying passengers.

Dave

Depends on the weather and what's on Bargain Hunt!

I regularly pass the first one down into Bristol in the morning and it is consistent - usually about 5/6 people. Probably the same people who got it when it was the First 88 and Mike's 224 before that!

carlberry

Established Member
Odd workings during Friday rush hour:
Abus Solo on the X8. AE11BDF was running without any logos yesterday as well so, I assume, they're working towards a few Excel repaints.
Camel had a coach on the X54, usually their Dennis E300
And then a First Streetdeck, red front on the Cumberland Basin OOS. Possibly coming back to Hengrove from Vosa at Avonmouuth

diffywood

now confirmed on Wessex website about 90 route

We have tried to bring in competing services to new areas within the Bristol area, in doing so we have put together special offers and ticket prices far below our competition.

In the case of the 90 we have watched the service change over the last couple of years, this has seen a big re-launch in October 2015 and then over the last 12 months the new vehicles introduced have been removed and the frequency of services reduce.

We registered our services to help fill the gaps of the frequency reductions and to introduce lower fares to the area, however within one week our competitor has decided they can increase the frequency on the service and have flooded the service with buses. In addition to this, since our service 90 has been introduced several of our drivers have been victims of verbal and physical abuse

As a result of fierce competition from our competitor and continuing driver abuse we will remove our service 90 from 22nd July.

We would like to thank those who travelled with us during our short time of operating this service.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

We have tried to bring in competing services to new areas within the Bristol area, in doing so we have put together special offers and ticket prices far below our competition.

In the case of the 90 we have watched the service change over the last couple of years, this has seen a big re-launch in October 2015 and then over the last 12 months the new vehicles introduced have been removed and the frequency of services reduce.

We registered our services to help fill the gaps of the frequency reductions and to introduce lower fares to the area, however within one week our competitor has decided they can increase the frequency on the service and have flooded the service with buses. In addition to this, since our service 90 has been introduced several of our drivers have been victims of verbal and physical abuse

As a result of fierce competition from our competitor and continuing driver abuse we will remove our service 90 from 22nd July.

We would like to thank those who travelled with us during our short time of operating this service.

Hmmm.... Fair to say that First did reduce the frequency and have now massively increased this. So there's some valid points.

However, a bit disingenuous from Wessex. First dropped the frequency from by a bus per hour (?) - did that mean that Wessex filled the gap by putting in a 5 buses per hour? Also, it's not like all the new vehicles were moved out. There were 10 branded vehicles and a floater. With the PVR drop, the branded fleet was reduced by one (35148) which was moved to Wells.

carlberry

Established Member

We registered our services to help fill the gaps of the frequency reductions and to introduce lower fares to the area, however within one week our competitor has decided they can increase the frequency on the service and have flooded the service with buses. In addition to this, since our service 90 has been introduced several of our drivers have been victims of verbal and physical abuse.
Surely if they have evidence of physical abuse this should have been taken further and why specifically on the 90 rather than all the other services they introduced and removed. Without it's the locals that are causing the abuse**.

(Note ** - Other areas where buses have to be withdrawn because of stoning are available.)

carlberry

Established Member
Something to compete with the 78 and 79 might be a fair bet!

Why? First would respond and Stagecoach have caused enough of an issue in South Gloucestershire (in cooperation with the council) already by not accepting Avon Rider tickets.

Martin2012

Interesting to see Stagecoach are getting the 622. Wonder if they'll link it in with the Wotton Under Edge services as SGBC seemed to do at one time.

swifty

Established Member

That seems to be the plan to interwork the two and be operated from Stroud.

THarris123

Established Member
Supposedly bus service 67 from Wookey Hole to Wells to Wedmore to Burnham has been saved. It was due to be cancelled next week, but apparently will run as it is until next March. No registration has gone through VOSA yet for Crosville's section of the service, so will hopefully go through in the next few days.

swifty

Established Member
Has anyone else noticed the distinct lack of Wessex deckers, apart from the odd 51 branded one, now the the One has finished? There was even a Solo on the 90 this morning.

Citistar

Has anyone else noticed the distinct lack of Wessex deckers, apart from the odd 51 branded one, now the the One has finished? There was even a Solo on the 90 this morning.

For a few days there was an absence of all the Wessex vehicles being dumped on the Broad Weir bus stop, but sadly they had started leaving vehicles there for hours again by Monday, obstructing those of us trying to find passengers to collect.

carlberry

Established Member
For a few days there was an absence of all the Wessex vehicles being dumped on the Broad Weir bus stop, but sadly they had started leaving vehicles there for hours again by Monday, obstructing those of us trying to find passengers to collect.

I'm sure they'll issue a press release saying that it's First's fault that they have to dump them there!

swifty

Established Member
In amongst all the traffic chaos in Bristol tonight it was interesting to see a Plymouth bound Megabus Interdeck heading past the Park & Ride up Scotland Lane. I couldn't work out of it had come round the A4174 to get into Bristol or was heading back out of Bristol

DaveHarries

Established Member
In amongst all the traffic chaos in Bristol tonight it was interesting to see a Plymouth bound Megabus Interdeck heading past the Park & Ride up Scotland Lane. I couldn't work out of it had come round the A4174 to get into Bristol or was heading back out of Bristol
I wouldn't have thought you would get a bus of any size up Scotland Lane.... :lol:

Dave