• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Country Independents

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Was just about to say 30118 (YT 61 FEM) is on the One2 with 458 branding! (Staines to Kingston via Esher!)

Indeed, that is the route and Rotala are one of a number of operators to have picked up work following Abellio's actions. Stagecoach (Guildford) and First (Slough) have also gained work as well as a number of local indies

Think it indicates that the vehicles from the one2 weren't destined for further competitive attacks on First.

freetoview33

Established Member
Indeed, that is the route and Rotala are one of a number of operators to have picked up work following Abellio's actions. Stagecoach (Guildford) and First (Slough) have also gained work as well as a number of local indies

Think it indicates that the vehicles from the one2 weren't destined for further competitive attacks on First.

Not in Bristol anyway!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
from 8th Jan Abus 57 has been reduced to 1 trip a day.

THarris123

Established Member
Service 67 has been extended until 4th March 2017 now. Looks like they are temporarily funding it again for community/parish talks.

The email I got is the following:
Thank you for your recent email regarding the proposed changes to service 67, I am emailing to inform you of some developments. Temporary funding for the current 67 bus service has been extended to allow more time to explore potential community-led replacements. This funding was due to end on 31 December but will now be extended until 4 March. This is to allow continued talks between the County Council, parishes and communities about possible options for some form of replacement service. The service will continue to be provided by Bakers Dolphin and there will be no change to the current timetable. The interim service at a reduced timetable that was due to start on 3 January (operated by Mendip Community Transport) is no longer required so this has been withdrawn.
We will update you on the progress of this via email early next year.

I wonder if someone in the council has had an ear bashing?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

Hmmm....the changes to the X14 and the 16 catch the eye.

The 16 (as noted before) gets an increase in frequency. Is this a protectionist approach as it's the only one decent Wessex service that First haven't elected to take chunks out of.

The X14 sees a cut in the Sunday and late night service - is that indicating that First's UWE service is eroding that service significantly, or simply that there's not enough trade at those times (but ok the rest of the time)?

As an aside, caught sight of a couple of Wessex 51's. Appreciate that it was lunchtime and the middle of the day between Xmas and New Year and, of course, it was a glance at some buses so not exactly representative. One Omnidekka into town had probably 5/6 passengers, of which some were fare payers. Passed a Centro climbing up Totterdown with c.10 passengers but all looked to be ENCTS passes.

swifty

Established Member
Hmmm....the changes to the X14 and the 16 catch the eye.

The 16 (as noted before) gets an increase in frequency. Is this a protectionist approach as it's the only one decent Wessex service that First haven't elected to take chunks out of.

As an aside, caught sight of a couple of Wessex 51's. Appreciate that it was lunchtime and the middle of the day between Xmas and New Year and, of course, it was a glance at some buses so not exactly representative. One Omnidekka into town had probably 5/6 passengers, of which some were fare payers. Passed a Centro climbing up Totterdown with c.10 passengers but all looked to be ENCTS passes.

At certain times of the day the 16 still won't be frequent enough, it's surprising just how many people are constantly queuing on Queens Avenue during the day.

I've also been seeing a lot of the 51 recently and from general observations it does seem to be a 70/30 skew to ENCTS passes against fair paying passengers.

BBC

8 min frequency on the "one" is interesting, First will no doubt get the dupes back out then.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
What's the service tomorrow (Monday 2nd January), classed as a Sunday I take it? I take it there's no Abus out or not much independents out? Was thinking of an Avon Day Rider but if it's just limited First and Wessex services I won't bother

ooo

What's the service tomorrow (Monday 2nd January), classed as a Sunday I take it? I take it there's no Abus out or not much independents out? Was thinking of an Avon Day Rider but if it's just limited First and Wessex services I won't bother
Travel West says it's a Sunday/Public Holiday service tommorow

ooo

Does anyone know what South Gloucestershire are using on the 462 now?

Marc

Does anyone know what South Gloucestershire are using on the 462 now?

a g reg ex nottingham citybus was seen in it yesterday. however if they have been recertafied without standing then they become coaches and have another 3 years to be dda compliant. deffo no sign of new buses arriving for it.

D60

An ex-Whippet (ex-London) Volvo B7TL/Plaxton President from a WxxxBCW batch arrived in SGBC's fleet maybe a couple of months ago, still in Whippet livery, still with Whippet logo..
a g reg ex nottingham citybus was seen in it yesterday. however if they have been recertafied without standing then they become coaches and have another 3 years to be dda compliant. deffo no sign of new buses arriving for it.

The vehicle in question here is presumed to be G614OTV..? Which is actually ex-Plymouth, and before that, ex-Trent.. (Nottingham reg)... It is this vehicle that brought the 'StudentLink' branding to SGBC, for it was Plymouth's StudentLink livery in which it entered service with SGBC, thereafter applied to several others of SGBC..

matt_splat

the directors were once involved in WT Travel it would seem any one know anything about them
hearing now from 3 different people we could well be about to see a change in who the main operator of National Express in Bristol / Bath is

Rumors are going around about Edwards taking a lot / all SGBC work

Martin2012

From what I have seen, SGBC have continued to use the same double deck olympians on the 462- the 'n' reg ones with the red coach style seating.

They've also been using a mixture of coaches.

I ended up going on the 680 with Eurotaxis last night and got the usual merc benz vario. A notice inside stated that it had a seating capacity of 22 and a standing capacity of 2. I thought a minibus could only be considered a coach if it didn't have standing capacity.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
From what I have seen, SGBC have continued to use the same double deck olympians on the 462- the 'n' reg ones with the red coach style seating.

They've also been using a mixture of coaches.

I ended up going on the 680 with Eurotaxis last night and got the usual merc benz vario. A notice inside stated that it had a seating capacity of 22 and a standing capacity of 2. I thought a minibus could only be considered a coach if it didn't have standing capacity.

22 or fewer seats are not covered by PSVAR

Martin2012

Very handy for Eurotaxis then I'd say.

Interestingly they've only started using this vehicle on the route over the last few months. Previously they were mainly using a full size coach or minicoach usually off of another school run.

Presumably their current commitments mean that a minibus is the best choice of vehicle for the route.

When SGBC worked this route the morning journey was mostly worked by minibuses but did have a long spell of being worked by coaches including at one time, National Express vehicles.

The evening journey however was pretty much always restricted to a minibus. According to a number of drivers I spoke to, if they had a full size vehicle on their previous job they were required to return to the depot and change over.

This was aparrantley due to the fact a minibus used less fuel so maybe Eurotaxis have taken a similar stance

Last edited: