West London Air Terminal

Discussion in 'Other Public Transport' started by quarella, 30 Apr 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quarella

quarella Member

While hunting around for the Victoria Coach Station thread in buses and coaches I came across this.
    https://rbkclocalstudies.wordpress.com/2013/06/06/forgotten-buildings-the-west-london-air-terminal/
    Part quote
    Location here. https://goo.gl/maps/AfC3w

When I had gone past that Sainsbury's on National Express and Megabus I had wondered what had been there before but GSV doesn't go back far enough.

2. sarahj

sarahj Established Member

It has featured in a few films, Funeral in Berlin and Jugganaut (terror on the Brittanic).

3. Busaholic

Busaholic Established Member

Been there once, about 1971. Saw my sister-in-law, then a 6th form schoolgirl, off on a school trip to Portugal. Great location opposite Gloucester Road Station, the passengers for BEA European flights got put onto specially-built Routemaster coaches with luggage trailers. No fuss, but then no terrorism, of course.

4. theageofthetra

theageofthetra Established Member

No terrorism in 1971?, the IRA couldn't have been more active!

5. Busaholic

But not in London, and plane hijackings hadn't started either. Actually, working it out it must have been summer 1970 as this was when my sister-in-law left school, and she went prior to going to uni that autumn.

6. EM2

EM2 Established Member

Sat outside it in my Dad's broken-down Vauxhall Victor for three hours once, as we waited for the AA.
    Was fascinated by those Routemasters.

7. edwin_m

edwin_m Veteran Member

I presume the luggage was just loaded onto the trailers and went through whatever security screening was in force when it got to Heathrow. This is what happened when it was possible to check-in at Paddington on HEX, so that the baggage only had to be kept secure against theft not against tampering.

8. Busaholic

Security screening at Heathrow consisted of all the luggage for a particular flight being lined up behind the passengers for that flight and then several bags (typically, four) being chosen and the passengers whose bag had been chosen asked to identify themselves. O n one occasion, both my bags were chosen, but I was never required to open any. Little old ladies, on the other hand...

In those days (early 1970s) currency smuggling was the main concern upon leaving the U.K. Exchange Control not only existed but was rigorously enforced, indirectly by my own father amongst others.

Last edited: 4 May 2015
  9. AM9

AM9 Established Member

I seem to remember a BBC interlude film in the style of London to Brighton in four minute that featured a taxi ride from the WLAT to Heathrow in four minutes of some similar unlikely time.

10. contrex

contrex Member

Didn't they call it it "university" in those days?

11. Hornet

Hornet Member

No plane hijackings in the 70's? Really?

http://middleeast.about.com/od/terrorism/a/dawson-field-hijackings.htm

Also the IRA were bombing London in 1971.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/october/31/newsid_2464000/2464143.stm

Poor research there!

Last edited: 11 May 2015
  12. Busaholic

They did, but I wasn't sure anyone would remember the full word.:)

Not forgetting the term university had not been degraded at that time by making such as South Bogland Technical College into universities.But I digress.

Last edited: 11 May 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.