• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Lothian buses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lothian drivers have been on loan to LCB (i know one who has!), the reason LB vehicles sometimes appear on the LCB network is because some of their contract conditions state they only drive vehicles fitted with bandit screens. As the LCB fleet are not fitted with screens a LB vehicle is used instead.
In my experience all Lothian Country vehicles used on service 43 are fitted with bandit screens, roughly fleet numbers 927 to 936. Yet there are sometimes red buses used on this route (for example today we have fleet number 879). Short of flagging the bus down and asking the driver about their employment terms & conditions I couldn't say whether this vehicle is being used due to their refusal to drive a green bus or simply because green ones aren't conveniently available at the depot.
There may be a grain of truth in the bandit screen argument, and I'm not doubting that drivers have a right to decline a vehicle if they don't feel it is safe, but I really don't think this actually proves anything about whether drivers are being swapped around.

A330Alex

In my experience all Lothian Country vehicles used on service 43 are fitted with bandit screens, roughly fleet numbers 927 to 936. Yet there are sometimes red buses used on this route (for example today we have fleet number 879). Short of flagging the bus down and asking the driver about their employment terms & conditions I couldn't say whether this vehicle is being used due to their refusal to drive a green bus or simply because green ones aren't conveniently available at the depot.
There may be a grain of truth in the bandit screen argument, and I'm not doubting that drivers have a right to decline a vehicle if they don't feel it is safe, but I really don't think this actually proves anything about whether drivers are being swapped around.
The 43 is operated by Lothian drivers out of central hence the bandit screens & frequent LB vehicles. Will be interesting to see if it switches to Livingston when they receive new buses (and hence have no bandit screen)

The 43 is operated by Lothian drivers out of central hence the bandit screens & frequent LB vehicles. Will be interesting to see if it switches to Livingston when they receive new buses (and hence have no bandit screen)
Thanks - that's kind of what I thought. But if that's the case I wouldn't have expected this service to be protected from industrial action, as the publicity prior to last week's strike said that Lothian Country Buses routes would not be affected. I suspect that was an incorrect statement and it's difficult to say what might happen if a picket line was established at Central. Probably unwise to move it to a different depot under the circumstances.

Andyh82

Established Member
Thanks - that's kind of what I thought. But if that's the case I wouldn't have expected this service to be protected from industrial action, as the publicity prior to last week's strike said that Lothian Country Buses routes would not be affected. I suspect that was an incorrect statement and it's difficult to say what might happen if a picket line was established at Central. Probably unwise to move it to a different depot under the circumstances.
I imagine the rushed out press release would have been incorrect, probably as Lothian internally don’t see the 43 as Lothian Country, due to it being run by Central.

I doubt they would have prioritised it to be operated by non union drivers either, as many other routes would be more important.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member

I figured they didn’t move it to Livingston due to mileage and because it’s still technically a within city limits route and not a West Lothian route

Train368

So is the X18 now fully running with the Ex-Airlink double deckers? See them all the time on the X18 so have they moved them around and took them off the X27/28?

ScotRail158725

Established Member
So is the X18 now fully running with the Ex-Airlink double deckers? See them all the time on the X18 so have they moved them around and took them off the X27/28?
no they're still dispatched across all routes and they're ex skylink not airlink

Driver362

Predominantly on x18. Well the lions share of them are anyway, but as scotrail said they can appear everywhere and often do!

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Are LCB expecting more buses anytime soon for the next phase? I’ve heard a rumour regarding more single deckers heading to Livingston

overthewater

Established Member
Being worked on don’t worry drivers do note these things when driving and we know where the problems lie

Hopefully it will be fixed in the September Changes? Can you say if its a new route or existing route that will operate in to Ladywell West?

Weemidi135

Hopefully it will be fixed in the September Changes? Can you say if its a new route or existing route that will operate in to Ladywell West?

Can’t comment on ladywell west as I’ve not heard anything but x18 will hopefully be fixed for the next phase

overthewater

Established Member
Can’t comment on ladywell west as I’ve not heard anything but x18 will hopefully be fixed for the next phase

The reason this is getting mention is because the council service 31 is coming out of the area. It's the area only bus and thus someone must be going in to replace it at the end of September, which I assume is when the next set of changes are happening.

Weemidi135

The reason this is getting mention is because the council service 31 is coming out of the area. It's the area only bus and thus someone must be going in to replace it at the end of September, which I assume is when the next set of changes are happening.

Ye I know the 31 is being rejigged I’m not really sure on pax numbers for the area of its worth putting a service through their

overthewater

Established Member
The Council still has a duty to the passengers, So it must believe a commercial service is going into the estate to make such changes. So if it's not Lothian then who could it be, maybe First?

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
The Council still has a duty to the passengers, So it must believe a commercial service is going into the estate to make such changes. So if it's not Lothian then who could it be, maybe First?

Maybe Lothian could tweak the 281 to cover it? It wouldn’t be a massive loss since it already currently mirrors the X27/X28 route beyond the centre to deans.

Have it run to St. John’s as normal then carry on down via Ladywell East to Alderstone Road and then onto Ladywell West connecting back to its original route in Knightsridge? It might add a few extra minutes onto the route but what else could they do?

Stopper

When I used the Linlithgow Express it actually picked up a decent number of people on the way to Edinburgh. But then again, we all know you have a wee chip on your shoulder regarding LCB....

The EX2 services have been pretty consistently around 40-50% full at peak times for a few weeks now. Most people from Linlithgow seem to get on at Springfield which I suspected might be the case. If growth continues at this rate (during peak times) then we’ll likely be seeing the EX2 stick around. The 38 has certainly been allowed to survive for ages when it’s only carries about 5 people maximum at one time all day. I’m on a 38 to Linlithgow right now and I’m the only one on it.

route101

Established Member
The EX2 services have been pretty consistently around 40-50% full at peak times for a few weeks now. Most people from Linlithgow seem to get on at Springfield which I suspected might be the case. If growth continues at this rate (during peak times) then we’ll likely be seeing the EX2 stick around. The 38 has certainly been allowed to survive for ages when it’s only carries about 5 people maximum at one time all day. I’m on a 38 to Linlithgow right now and I’m the only one on it.

Used it on Saturday there from Linlithgow , there was 5 people who went to Edinburgh . Two people used it to get across Linlithgow . I with only another person were fare paying .

Gingerbus1991

The 38 can do ok and I do see a good few onnit now and again, but the buses aren't anything special.

Journeyman

Established Member

I use the 38 pretty regularly, as I live in Winchburgh and it's essentially our primary means of public transport. When I used to commute to Glasgow, I used it to get to and from Linlithgow station, and the loads it carried were pretty good, but off-peak it tends to be pretty quiet. At weekends, it's busy in and out of town, though. Overall it's one of FSE's most profitable routes, or at least it was.

I don't think there's enough trade to justify the return of 4 buses an hour off-peak on the Linlithgow to Edinburgh section, but it was clearly done as a defensive move to make it harder for Lothian to muscle in.

overthewater

Established Member
Ex2 need more off peak passengers, its no good or were end up with a situation like the Mcgills X23. No38 can be busy especial on Saturday mornings, but as said every 15mins is over kill, maybe every 20mins would be better.

You must remember: Winchburgh, Kirkliston and parts of Linlithgow are getting bigger every month with new housing etc

Stopper

The 38 is a horrific bus that is best avoided according to most people in Linlithgow. I only ever use it to get to Winchburgh, Kirkliston and previously Newbridge until the EX2 came in. It’s always late and is incredibly filthy.

EX2 is pretty much dead off-peak but there’s never going to be a huge demand at that time. The 38, 31 and 1 are dead all day and even the E-G trains have quite thin loadings during the day. Obviously they are much busier at peak times but at the moment peak loadings are similar on the EX2 and the 38.

I use the 38 pretty regularly, as I live in Winchburgh and it's essentially our primary means of public transport. When I used to commute to Glasgow, I used it to get to and from Linlithgow station, and the loads it carried were pretty good, but off-peak it tends to be pretty quiet. At weekends, it's busy in and out of town, though. Overall it's one of FSE's most profitable routes, or at least it was.

I don't think there's enough trade to justify the return of 4 buses an hour off-peak on the Linlithgow to Edinburgh section, but it was clearly done as a defensive move to make it harder for Lothian to muscle in.

The Falkirk to Stirling side can get really busy justifying the 15 min service , and at certain times around 11am maybe even a 10 mins level .it gets quieter Falkirk to Edinburgh and that’s where time lost can sometimes be made up , (bearing in mind not to go more than 10% of any speed limits )

TheEastCoaster

Established Member

I guess that’s why they brought in the Ex2 as a response, they should of tackled the Linlithgow corridor earlier on, it’s really the only market they have left at this point, but honestly if they were to target that corridor the key winners would be the Kirkliston residents, they had been shafted by LCB for almost a whole year and like otw said that along with Winchburgh and Linlithgow are getting bigger so there’s more targets

R Scandle

I guess that’s why they brought in the Ex2 as a response, they should of tackled the Linlithgow corridor earlier on, it’s really the only market they have left at this point, but honestly if they were to target that corridor the key winners would be the Kirkliston residents, they had been shafted by LCB for almost a whole year and like otw said that along with Winchburgh and Linlithgow are getting bigger so there’s more targets

It would surly have been better if the EX2 went through Winchburgh and Broxburn to give those places an express service into Edinburgh. Yes it would take (slightly) longer from Linlithgow but it would increase the number of passengers.

Also think the EX1 and EX2 should go into the bus station instead of terminating at the Exchange.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
It would surly have been better if the EX2 went through Winchburgh and Broxburn to give those places an express service into Edinburgh. Yes it would take (slightly) longer from Linlithgow but it would increase the number of passengers.

Also think the EX1 and EX2 should go into the bus station instead of terminating at the Exchange.

Broxburn? I assume you mean Kirkliston? Imo they'd be better moving the 43 Regent Road and having the EX1/EX2 terminate at St Andrews Square. Having them go in to the bus station would probably add unnecessary journey time.

OmniCity999

Established Member
Broxburn? I assume you mean Kirkliston? Imo they'd be better moving the 43 Regent Road and having the EX1/EX2 terminate at St Andrews Square. Having them go in to the bus station would probably add unnecessary journey time.

And cost. It's a very expensive place. This would push the price up on an already underused service.

Status
Not open for further replies.