• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Lothian buses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suppose it was then I’m surprised they aren’t reworking the timetable to fit around the depot move.
For daily vehicle movements, without breakdowns, the latest 43 timetable already fits this change to a Livingston base.
Whether it works out for drivers in terms of route knowledge and shift changeovers remains to be seen.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cartaker

Update on the EX1 and EX2. Apparently the drivers and the powers that be are concerned about the amount of time it can take to get from Haymarket to The Exchange. The constant roadworks and poor traffic light timing means the buses are nearly always arriving at The Exchange late. It has been pointed out that many people would rather get off the bus and walk from Haymarket than spend the next 20 minutes or so being stuck in traffic. Obviously this is unlikely to be the case when winter arrives. However it was pointed out the those people who use the train would be doing that anyway. Personally I cannot think of a solution as the roads are so narrow bus lanes are out of the question. They will just have to hope that when all the building work in that area is completed things will improve.

Cartaker

Passenger numbers on the EX2. Last week I used the bus 4 mornings between 9.30 and 10.30. The least amount of passengers was 9. The morning I used the 9.30 bus I counted a total of 21 people had used it for some part of the journey. The return journeys are always quieter. Using the bus on the same 4 days between 2pm and 4pm the minimum was 4 with the maximum being 15. I cannot comment on peak times as I try to avoid them but a neighbour of mine who uses it around 8am said he sometimes has to go right to the back of the bus as the other seats are taken. (Last stop in Linlithgow). Admittedly, mainly with one person taking up two seats.

alangla

They are using the south side of St. Andrews Square as a layover point, which I believe has more room for buses than the north side! Should be interesting to say the least! even though it’s only for a week! Though of course I assume First will also be using St Andrews Square, which will be chaos with the amount of buses both companies have combined
I take it this isn’t very fast & is making people furious?

I’ll get my coat.

Volvodart

Established Member
The new 31 timetable is now up on Travelinescotland. They are not giving it much time at either end.

overthewater

Established Member
Looking at the timetable, it seem a new bus and driver will appear to start the 3 hour loop from Bathgate each hour. So timekeeping should be alright overall. However were now at the point were Ladywell west will have no bus services: So one of two things will happen:

* Someone will replace it
* local passengers kick up a real stink over this.

Answers on postcard.

smtglasgow

Things seem to have gone a bit quiet on the competition front. Have First and LCB simply reached stalemate? Hard to see what either side can do to move things on. Other than Lothian running against the 38, we must have reached the limits of what can sensibly be run in West Lothian? And even if LCB do run to Kirkliston, matching the 38 would give 8 buses an hour to the city which is probably 6 too many, so slim pickings.

overthewater

Established Member
First are planning on cutting back shortly, 3 buse worth, so Im surprised LCB have not made some trimming of its self. However Kirkliston does need a 20min service to the capital along with winchburgh.

wlbusser

I'd love to see lothian have a service for Winchburgh and Kirkliston. I live in Winchburgh, and as it grows in size the public transport should be keeping up which I don't think it is.

As a 38 user just about everyday for work it can be OK when it runs well, but a lot of the time it's frustrating from late buses to those that never turn up and everything in between. A 15 minute service is not needed, maybe 20 would suit better as long as it was reliable.

Journeyman

Established Member
First are planning on cutting back shortly, 3 buse worth, so Im surprised LCB have not made some trimming of its self. However Kirkliston does need a 20min service to the capital along with winchburgh.

First already supply four buses an hour on the 38 from Winchburgh and Kirkliston, so I don't think there's any room for a competitor.

overthewater

Established Member
I'd love to see lothian have a service for Winchburgh and Kirkliston. I live in Winchburgh, and as it grows in size the public transport should be keeping up which I don't think it is.

As a 38 user just about everyday for work it can be OK when it runs well, but a lot of the time it's frustrating from late buses to those that never turn up and everything in between. A 15 minute service is not needed, maybe 20 would suit better as long as it was reliable.

The 38 should only be Falkirk - Edinburgh, while the other section could be bolt on elsewhere to give more local direct access to the hospital.

Journeyman

Established Member

I live in Winchburgh as well. I don't use the 38 for work, but I'm a regular user, and the biggest problems are that (a) it's often unreliable and (b) it's incredibly slow, and can often take up to an hour to get into the city centre.

If a way could be found to speed up at least some journeys, and make it more consistent, I'd be happy, and if that means sacrifices on frequency, I could live with that.

In Focus

only dropping 27 to a 20 minute service and late night services from Edinburgh on 22,24/25 all of which carry fresh air , Night services will still operate Friday and Saturday as per usual.

overthewater

Established Member
only dropping 27 to a 20 minute service and late night services from Edinburgh on 22,24/25 all of which carry fresh air , Night services will still operate Friday and Saturday as per usual.

And the 29 being scaled right back to Falkirk area only thus LCB has the whole route to itself between Bathgate and Broxburn.

Not getting at anyone here but a general observation , folk who say “buses can’t be bothered to turn up “ do they actually believe drivers think ah I can’t be bothered I’ll just not drive the bus today !!? . There can be a reason for every bus that’s on the rd to be late .drivers should and usually have every sympathy for folk that are delayed by late running but they get verbal abuse about something they can’t really control and that’s the traffic situation on the road and passenger loads too . If they are strictly monitored for speed and driving standards there often can be no way they can make up time . Sorry for rant . It was something I overheard intending passengers talking about then giving driver dogs abuse . My normal service will resume shortly :p

overthewater

Established Member
Reason for buses not turning up most of the time, is because some person in an office has unrealistic expectation for certain duty broads.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Not getting at anyone here but a general observation , folk who say “buses can’t be bothered to turn up “ do they actually believe drivers think ah I can’t be bothered I’ll just not drive the bus today !!? . There can be a reason for every bus that’s on the rd to be late .drivers should and usually have every sympathy for folk that are delayed by late running but they get verbal abuse about something they can’t really control and that’s the traffic situation on the road and passenger loads too . If they are strictly monitored for speed and driving standards there often can be no way they can make up time . Sorry for rant . It was something I overheard intending passengers talking about then giving driver dogs abuse . My normal service will resume shortly :p

First Glasgow's Twitter is full of people making complaints like that. Same with congestion. City congestion has always been a big problem everywhere yet they expect every bus to be on time every single day. They also act like services have to suit them and them only. Could go on about everything I've seen from people regarding complaints lol

Volvodart

Established Member
The accounts for Lothian Country Buses Limited that have now been filed are dormant accounts, so presumably everything for LCB is included in the main Lothian Buses accounts.

In Focus

The accounts for Lothian Country Buses Limited that have now been filed are dormant accounts, so presumably everything for LCB is included in the main Lothian Buses accounts.
Was always going to be that way to hide the massive losses and costs ,however I wonder how they will deal with another company asking for a breakdown of their accounts under freedom of information ?

Volvodart

Established Member
Was always going to be that way to hide the massive losses and costs ,however I wonder how they will deal with another company asking for a breakdown of their accounts under freedom of information ?

Deleted as I have found the answer.

Last edited:

In Focus

Doesn't matter it still first route
Eh? Yes throughout the UK first have a lot of them.
Larbert are covering the part that makes any money and Is predominantly Midland Bluebird territory.
Back in time that route was a Livingston 29 route which changed when West Lothian went to correct fare .
As has been stated it will now probably cost West Lothian council more to subsidise a journey to cover the missing link than it would to have kept it as is.

overthewater

Established Member
SO were just going to ignore the fact "First Scotland East" bus between Bathgate and Broxburn is going to disappear.

Cartaker

I'll give you a reason why a particular bus was late last night. I was waiting for an EX2 bus last night that should have arrived at my stop at 5pm give or take a minute either way. It arrived at 5.10pm. After the 3 passengers got on you would have thought the driver would move off keen to make up for lost time. But no he decided start chatting to the driver of another bus which was also at the bus stop. After 10 minutes the driver of the other bus had finished his fag and went back to his bus. This meant the poor EX2 bus driver had no one to speak to so he decided to get on his way. Now fully 20 minutes late.

Status
Not open for further replies.