• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Lothian buses

Status
Not open for further replies.

overthewater

Established Member
The people in Kirkliston are not happy.. Looks like Ridercards will NOT be allowed on X38, its becoming "Impossible" to get a clear answer out of them. Are there "Going for Gold" by only promoting the Current tickets instead of admitting the rider cards are allowed? Thus people will have to go "Bargain hunting" to get the best prices? ;)

It should be noted with First, If you live in Winchburgh it's only £64 a FULL months travel. It will all be some " Lucky Ladders" who reaches the top with these services.

0oOlLkq.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
So if Ridacards are not valid on the X38 out of Kirkliston does that not mean that it will be the only place within the City of Edinburgh where Lothian services run and the Ridacard isn’t valid, I can see counsellors/local politicians getting involved if it’s true, locals are understandably annoyed about clarity and have every right to do so

overthewater

Established Member
It is valid.. it's allowed on the no63, but no one within the company want to come clean and say "YES its allowed on the X38" or "No its not allowed on the X38" "Im sorry I haven't a clue" what is going to happen with this.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
I’m sure they could charge £3.70 into the city and then accept Ridacards, LC will argue that it’s to match the Broxburn fares but they are in completely different council areas.

If Lothian aren’t going to accept Ridacards then the system with the 63 will have to change, it’s silly enough that they are already changing £2.70 for LC between Ratho Stn and Gyle and £1.70 on the 20 and 63, £3.70 against £1.70 from Kirkliston isn’t that much worse tbh, still a confusing and very unfriendly system

I’m sure they could charge £3.70 into the city and then accept Ridacards, LC will argue that it’s to match the Broxburn fares but they are in completely different council areas.

If Lothian aren’t going to accept Ridacards then the system with the 63 will have to change, it’s silly enough that they are already changing £2.70 for LC between Ratho Stn and Gyle and £1.70 on the 20 and 63, £3.70 against £1.70 from Kirkliston isn’t that much worse tbh, still a confusing and very unfriendly system
Obviously I don't know anything for certain but I think they probably will be accepting normal Ridacards in Kirkliston. Would seem daft if passengers had to get the 63 with their Ridacards then change to the X38 or another Lothian Country service along the A8. However it's a wee bit frustrating that people haven't heard anything official yet. Overthewater is just trying to cram as many game show titles as possible into the posts!
Note that council areas are largely irrelevant, apart from dictating fares on some subsidised routes, like the 63.

wlbusser

Well, it looks like I'll be sticking with first for the time being.
I can get a cheaper weekly ticket which also does a full 7 days vs 5 for LCB.
The travels on Lothian buses in Edinburgh is a nice bonus for LCB, but I rarely ever need to get one so for me I'm happy to pay extra the few times a year I need to or want to use said buses.

I'm just hopeful the LCB introduction can spur First on to improve the 38 service, since there were 4 times last week (3 of the same journeys but different days) where I had bus not show for no reason or where late.
And as usual, the Twitter team don't really work well. After a few exchanges, I got the "Well look into that for you" only to never hear back from them as to what may have been the issue as to late/n-showing buses.

CM

Well, it looks like I'll be sticking with first for the time being.
I can get a cheaper weekly ticket which also does a full 7 days vs 5 for LCB.
The travels on Lothian buses in Edinburgh is a nice bonus for LCB, but I rarely ever need to get one so for me I'm happy to pay extra the few times a year I need to or want to use said buses.

I'm just hopeful the LCB introduction can spur First on to improve the 38 service, since there were 4 times last week (3 of the same journeys but different days) where I had bus not show for no reason or where late.
And as usual, the Twitter team don't really work well. After a few exchanges, I got the "Well look into that for you" only to never hear back from them as to what may have been the issue as to late/n-showing buses.

If a bus doesn't show then there is always a reason for it.

wlbusser

If a bus doesn't show then there is always a reason for it.
I've been on late-running buses and ones that had a breakdown so can understand there was some reason for it.
"We'll look into it" was what they said when I tried to find out the said reason (Happy enough if they say there was X problem), but I got nothing back which isn't good.

That being said, 3/4 no show buses over 3 days (2 in one morning alone) doesn't seem right to me.

overthewater

Established Member
It's about time! I look at this thread and think wow. LC need to up their game and let's not even go near First, glad they dont operate in Nottingham.

Plenty more puns to come!

I've been on late-running buses and ones that had a breakdown so can understand there was some reason for it.
"We'll look into it" was what they said when I tried to find out the said reason (Happy enough if they say there was X problem), but I got nothing back which isn't good.

That being said, 3/4 no show buses over 3 days (2 in one morning alone) doesn't seem right to me.

The route is far too long and should have been cut in two years ago. For a time buses were starting at Linlithgow depot which meant there starting on time. It would make Far more sense to No38 Falkirk - Edinburgh with a new route Falkirk - Stirling, maybe even starting somewhere like maddiston to give more links to the hospital?

twitter feed come from Leeds and it’s embarrassing the mistakes they mistake . Basically useless .
I’m Not surprised at missing buses on 38s now . Those Streetlites especially in the freezing conditions can throw up all sorts of faults in the mornings.and there’s not an abundance of replacements available. Not good enough I know.

livi man

Well it's count down time until lcb run another empty bus and waste more money for the tram works council must be mad

gavin1985

This is part of the Ridacard application form.
As long as you are traveling in the City and City West zones you can use the Ridacard.

https://www.lothianbuses.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/RIDACARD-8pp-180525.pdf

Ridacard gives you our best value for money travel whenever you need it.
• Our lowest prices for travel by bus and tram.
• Unlimited travel on Lothian day services.*
• Unlimited travel on Edinburgh Trams.
• Unlimited travel on Airlink & Skylink services.
• Unlimited travel on NightBus services.
• Unlimited travel on East Coast Buses and NightHawk services (zones A & B).
• Unlimited travel on Lothian country (city and cityWEST zones).
• Flexible: you can pay by monthly Direct Debit or buy in advance when you need it.
• 1-week & 4-week top-ups can be purchased across the City, from any PayPoint within our operating area.
• Discounted rate for Students**

overthewater

Established Member
So why noy tell people? I'm not the only and there is plenty on twitter or fb who are also confused. Even the sm team at lcb are unsure...

smtglasgow

You’ve got to wonder at whoever is making the decisions on ticketing for LCB. I can understand that they want to generate decent revenue – the business has to be sustainable – but the m-ticket bundles just seem over-complicated when your competitor (and your own city operation!) offers straightforward weekly and monthly tickets. The bundles are a great idea if you work part-time, but most commuters are only familiar with 7/28 day tickets.

NorthClyde320

Is there low bridges on the First 38 & forthcoming Lothian Country X38 route that prevent the use of deckers? Only ever been on the 38 between Falkirk & Edinburgh once so am not familiar with the route hence why I am asking.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Is there low bridges on the First 38 & forthcoming Lothian Country X38 route that prevent the use of deckers? Only ever been on the 38 between Falkirk & Edinburgh once so am not familiar with the route hence why I am asking.

Yes there's a 10ft 9in Bridge to the east side of Linlithgow.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
So why noy tell people? I'm not the only and there is plenty on twitter or fb who are also confused. Even the sm team at lcb are unsure...

It almost sounds like a monty python sketch at this point, come the day of launch 6 days!! And folk will ask how much the fares are and the driver will still say I don’t know :lol:

However I noticed on Twitter that a response definitely confirmed ridacards will definitely be valid in Kirkliston, and Winchburgh is Zone A while Linlithgow is Zone B! Although at this point we already knew that, it’s just why it took so long to get it out there we don’t know! :lol:

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Noticed on the guide they have a special £7 return ticket for the X38 route on the M ticket app or on the bus! from Linlithgow-Winchburgh till the 31st December

Status
Not open for further replies.