• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Lothian buses

Status
Not open for further replies.

DunsBus

Established Member
Anyone know what's going to happen to Lothian Country 1029 (LXZ 5414) and does anyone know what depot it is in.

Lothian Country 1029 is in the great bus depot in the sky. In other words, it's been scrapped.

The damage caused to it by the deroofing was too costly to fix. I believe that 1029 was broken up within a few weeks of being deroofed. I had heard that it was under repair with a new roof on order but I can now confirm that this didn't happen and that 1029 is no more.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lothian Country 1029 is in the great bus depot in the sky. In other words, it's been scrapped.

The damage caused to it by the deroofing was too costly to fix. I believe that 1029 was broken up within a few weeks of being deroofed. I had heard that it was under repair with a new roof on order but I can now confirm that this didn't happen and that 1029 is no more.
Ok thank you, im guessing that it is the same for SN10 DKO.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Really, do you know why its not back on the road?
because theres more to a reapair than putting a roof on, its almost ready but not quite. 1029 had structural damage so would be way to costly to repair, if you want to see parts of it then Lothians 302 is where to look

OmniCity999

Established Member
Do you know what scrap yard the rest of 1029 is in?
Does it really matter? It's been scrapped. End of.
why does it matter? think what scrap yard is a bit too much if an ask, considering most people wont know

Shortly after the incident, it was wrapped in tarp's, towed to Daltons in Leith, and dismantled immediately. So's to stop nosey Enthusiasts asking questions or trespassing in Daltons.

Last edited:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Here endeth the tale of 1029, and discussion thereof. Thanks :)

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
suprised the 600 has not been extended back to the Airport yet, still running as far as Kirkliston when I was in WL yesterday

scosutsut

Spotted today around 4pm was one of the ex Arriva B7RLE/Eclipse in debranded Lothian Country Green/Cream on trade plates heading South on the A1 at Tranent.

Didn't get the registration but that would make it one of 103-107. Going to guess disposal?

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Spotted today around 4pm was one of the ex Arriva B7RLE/Eclipse in debranded Lothian Country Green/Cream on trade plates heading South on the A1 at Tranent.

Didn't get the registration but that would make it one of 103-107. Going to guess disposal?
aye

scosutsut

I don't understand why Lothian would just dispose of the bus, they're not even that old. They could have sold it to another company for use.
That's likely what they have done, by disposed of I meant disposed from their fleet. Sold it - to whom and for what I can only guess but it will no doubt come out.

I'd imagine for reuse as it went away on trade plates under its own steam. They are 2006 models under the private plates iirc, dual purpose seated too and had an interior refurb / retrim when they arrived. Lots of bigger operators put out much worse on a daily basis.

That's likely what they have done, by disposed of I meant disposed from their fleet. Sold it - to whom and for what I can only guess but it will no doubt come out.

I'd imagine for reuse as it went away on trade plates under its own steam. They are 2006 models under the private plates iirc, dual purpose seated too and had an interior refurb / retrim when they arrived. Lots of bigger operators put out much worse on a daily basis.
Oh ok thanks, it least it isnt getting wasted. Are private plates like RIG 6495 or LXZ 5415. What do you mean by "its own steam". Thanks again and sorry for the misunderstanding.

scosutsut

Absolutely no need to apologise :D

Under its own steam usually means by its own power and it's what I meant in this case.

I.e. driven to its destination, not towed, or on the back of a low loader.

I think the phrase will hark back to railway days gone by of stream trains.

Absolutely no need to apologise :D

Under its own steam usually means by its own power and it's what I meant in this case.

I.e. driven to its destination, not towed, or on the back of a low loader.

I think the phrase will hark back to railway days gone by of stream trains.
Ok thank you.

route101

Established Member
Oh ok thanks, it least it isnt getting wasted. Are private plates like RIG 6495 or LXZ 5415. What do you mean by "its own steam". Thanks again and sorry for the misunderstanding.

Does anyone know why the plates are RIG or WLT on buses? Do they stand for something?

Established Member
Does anyone know why the plates are RIG or WLT on buses? Do they stand for something?
WLT752 and WLT753 are old Routemaster plates that Lothian acquired at some point which have been used on a variety of support vehicles and most recently two of the coaches.

The LXZ and RIG plates are cheap dateless NI plates to hide the age of second hand buses.

route101

Established Member
WLT752 and WLT753 are old Routemaster plates that Lothian acquired at some point which have been used on a variety of support vehicles and most recently two of the coaches.

The LXZ and RIG plates are cheap dateless NI plates to hide the age of second hand buses.

I see , thanks . Ive seen WLT on First buses too , thought it stood for something.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
The LT part is obviously a reference to London Transport and the W probably something to do with age/registration location.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
This is definitely veering off-topic, but the VLTxxx, WLTxxx and xxxCLT were London issue plates that were an ideal source of private/cherished number plates when various companies acquired former London Routemasters. The Routemasters would be re-registered with new "old" plates at the local Vehicle Registration Office. It's how companies like Stagecoach, Strathtay, Western/Clydeside and Kelvin(Central) - or any other company that used Routemasters in the early days of deregulation - managed to get hold of them.

I'm not quite sure how Lothian would have got hold of them, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.