• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Lothian buses

Status
Not open for further replies.

smtglasgow

but the mystery is the reluctance to offer season tickets

Reading this & and checking the app was the first time I’d realised that Lothian don’t offer a weekly/monthly ticket on m-tickets. Seems odd. Surely it must be coming – along with something better for East and West Lothian.

With the flat fare for city operations, my reason for querying this was based on all the talk about concession reimbursement. You’ve got McGills (who are not shy about charging) forecasting doom about how much they get back from the Transport Scotland, yet Lothian seem content to get a % of £1.70 regardless of distance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

In Focus

Reading this & and checking the app was the first time I’d realised that Lothian don’t offer a weekly/monthly ticket on m-tickets. Seems odd. Surely it must be coming – along with something better for East and West Lothian.

With the flat fare for city operations, my reason for querying this was based on all the talk about concession reimbursement. You’ve got McGills (who are not shy about charging) forecasting doom about how much they get back from the Transport Scotland, yet Lothian seem content to get a % of £1.70 regardless of distance.
Exactly why I've said all along it will be very interesting to see the accounta for LCB venture into West Lothian as there is just no way its financially viable to cover such distances fro £1.70 especially as the bulk of what they are taking from First is indeed concession card holders happy to take the bus that arrives whatever company it is .

In Focus

Not much work going in LCB new West Lothian depot are they moving into squat ? :)
Few travellers caravans in adjacent site but no real sign of life at their new place .
Surely not just going to put a few porta cabins in place for staff !!

In Focus

Lothian Country move into their new home in Livingston this weekend.
Are they squating ?
Not much in the way of work going on to make it useable ,seems a last minute midnight flit from longstone is on the cards!!
The travellers in the next yard will make sure they are on their toes I'm sure !!

overthewater

Established Member
Just a shame its routes are crap and so is its unlimited travel tickets.

https://lothiancountry.co.uk/we-have-a-new-home/

LB_LIVINGSTON_GARAGE_ANNOUNCEMENT_WMP-5-1200x602.jpg

We have a new home!
We are delighted to be able to tell you today, that we will be moving to our new home in the heart of Livingston this Sunday 31 March.

Our new garage, which will be home to over 120 staff and over 40 vehicles can be found on Nairn Road in Deans.

Nigel Serafini, Commercial Director, said:

We are pleased to announce the investment in new garage facilities in Deans, Livingston for our Lothiancountry operations.

We have been looking for new garage premises following the successful launch of these services in August last year and are delighted that the premises will be ready for operational service in line with our upcoming service enhancements at the end of March.

We have seen significant market stimulation and customer growth since the launch across the Lothiancountry network. Customer journeys continue to rise and our investment in these premises, along with the introduction of new and improved connections, further strengthens our long term commitment to both the local community of West Lothian and our dedicated team of drivers who have built a business that delivers high levels and quality of customer service at all times, as well as showing that buses can be a great solution to achieving active travel journeys and modal shift in Scotland.

Council Leader Lawrence Fitzpatrick said:

We are delighted that Lothian Country are establishing a permanent base in West Lothian at the council’s former Fleet depot in Deans, Livingston.

The total value of their investment should exceed £6 million, which shows their long-term commitment to West Lothian.

Executive Councillor for Development and Transport Cathy Muldoon said:

It’s fantastic news that Lothian Country are bringing 120 jobs to West Lothian at their new depot, giving a welcome boost to the local economy.

The addition of Lothian Country buses to West Lothian’s public transport network has increased choice for local residents, encouraging more people to consider using public transport.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Unless First capitulate and move out they will never recoup this outlay and the 6 million will be double that in 2 years ,
I wonder how the good people of Edinburgh will feel about subsidising the the people of West Lothians travel ?
In what way are the good people of Edinburgh subsidising travel in West Lothian?

In Focus

In what way are the good people of Edinburgh subsidising travel in West Lothian?
Well if this operation is going to spunk money as it is at present how else will it be funded ? It cannot be self sufficient based on present numbers so looking ahead (unless as stated first capitulate) which or what will fund it?

Gingerbus1991

There is still a bottom line, so long as City services don't suffer as a result then why should the general public care?

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
I’m surprised that the 281 has still not been added to the tFe app yet, considering the service starts in 3 days :|

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Has anyone been on 573 since it’s supposedly been in service today? I’m wondering if Lothian went through the trouble of programming the next stop announcements on the West Lothian services since they are pretty handy to have

In Focus

Another post from me yet again :lol:

LCB have published another job on Facebook for bus drivers!
They also have an advert in today's West Lothian Courier for Cleaners ,Shunters and depot handyman , the costs are mounting day by day not sure the passenger numbers are mounting quite as quickly though .

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
They will eventually though .

I think you're bigging this up rather too much.

The reality is that as long as they're not losing money in totality and reduced to having to increase fares (which is highly unlikely), the good people of Edinburgh and East Lothian will neither know nor care.

Whilst the £6m investment looks impressive in a press release, how much of that is actually in tangible assets that can be utilised elsewhere? I'm still thinking it'll be more of a stalemate

In Focus

I think you're bigging this up rather too much.

The reality is that as long as they're not losing money in totality and reduced to having to increase fares (which is highly unlikely), the good people of Edinburgh and East Lothian will neither know nor care.

Whilst the £6m investment looks impressive in a press release, how much of that is actually in tangible assets that can be utilised elsewhere? I'm still thinking it'll be more of a stalemate
You think ? The reality is they are losing a minimum of £100, 000 per week it has cost 6 million to get of the ground and no one is going to have to be accountable for these losses? Seriously ... if the fares in Edinbirgh increase and drivers and staff get told no decent wage increase due to having to subsidise LCB in WL I think you will find differently .
Of course a lot of the 6 million is fantasy a bit like their claim to be "creating 140 new jobs" it looks good for press releases ,strange how not 1 press hack has considered near 200 may be made redundant to "create" these 140 jobs . Probably that's too much like journalism in this day and age .
Like you though I agree it will be stalemate with both companies suffering massive losses ,it will basically come down to deepest pockets and willingness to stay the course in West Lothian.

It will be interesting to watch how first recruit in the area now . £10.75 for drivers with first or £11.50 with LCB around the corner .

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
You think ? The reality is they are losing a minimum of £100, 000 per week it has cost 6 million to get of the ground and no one is going to have to be accountable for these losses? Seriously ... if the fares in Edinbirgh increase and drivers and staff get told no decent wage increase due to having to subsidise LCB in WL I think you will find differently .
Of course a lot of the 6 million is fantasy a bit like their claim to be "creating 140 new jobs" it looks good for press releases ,strange how not 1 press hack has considered near 200 may be made redundant to "create" these 140 jobs . Probably that's too much like journalism in this day and age .
Like you though I agree it will be stalemate with both companies suffering massive losses ,it will basically come down to deepest pockets and willingness to stay the course in West Lothian.

How do you know that they are losing £100k MIN per week?

How many vehicles are they running?

alangla

There is still a bottom line, so long as City services don't suffer as a result then why should the general public care?
More & more I’m becoming convinced this adventure is to (temporarily) take money out of the business to stop it being soaked away for the tram extension. IIRC, Lothian Buses were expected to donate about £20m to that project. The losses in West Lothian would appear to make that a bit more difficult. One wonders if the council will be willing to make up the difference if needed to make the tram extension happen.

overthewater

Established Member
Why was a few of the LCB Covered in smashed eggs? Do lothian not bother cleaning the buses at night? Never saw any on first?

In Focus

It will be interesting to watch how first recruit in the area now . £10.75 for drivers with first or £11.50 with LCB around the corner .
But a different work life balance as far as rotation working goes, so I guess it will depend on drivers finances and personal life.

In Focus

How do you know that they are losing £100k MIN per week?

How many vehicles are they running?
It's not rocket science or are you claiming they are making money , its cost 6 million to get up and running ,hiring buses ,paying top wages , paying so much in overtime to Lothian drivers to keep it going, nd now having to employ more staff to keep a depot ti king over ,I'd say I was being generous at that figure and picking up around 25%of West Lothians travelling public at under priced fares. Utter madness for a business but stubborness can cloud any sense in life.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
It's not rocket science or are you claiming they are making money , its cost 6 million to get up and running ,hiring buses ,paying top wages , paying so much in overtime to Lothian drivers to keep it going, nd now having to employ more staff to keep a depot ti king over ,I'd say I was being generous at that figure and picking up around 25%of West Lothians travelling public at under priced fares. Utter madness for a business but stubborness can cloud any sense in life.

If it’s not rocket science, you’ll be able to say how you know that they are losing a minimum of £100k a week?

In Focus

If it’s not rocket science, you’ll be able to say how you know that they are losing a minimum of £100k a week?
6 million to set it up,(LCB figure),
30 buses and staff running costs for 1st 6 months approx 60000 per bus that approx 7.8 million for 1st 6months , I'd say at £100,000 per Week that very conservative estimate this far into this venture . Someone must be absolutely cringing at the profit and loss columns and be visiting Church every Sunday to pray First decide to sack it soon or this could be an epic disaster .

Status
Not open for further replies.