• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Lothian buses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

In Focus

British Leyland - closed
Bangour Hospital - closed
Halls of Broxburn - closed
Marshalls - closed
Gogarburn Hospital - now RBS HQ
I'm guessing uniroyal tyres has closed too :p
Correct lol ,that's a lot of fares that have never quite been replaced and remember these were on 3 shift system so it was very much a full days passenger count .

livi man

first done the 20 from Whitburn to Edinburgh and was empty after broxburn and first still getting more passangers and they do night buses at weekend

In Focus

Lets not forget Motorola. the only thing that is still on the route is Tesco but is that enough. Odd thing is X1 lasted even when there was 30min train service, and I remember seeing the 09am bus coming into edinburgh and it was full.

First pulled the old 16/ 20 for a reason people were not using it for the full route, how may people are really going between Broxburn/Uphall to Bathgate? I've seen the 29 and it's like 10 people? other times its hee haw...

Lothian are just not even trying now, its like here is a crap route and get on with it, It would make more sense if it went Via Ingliston park n ride, and allowing connection to the 200, especial if that was boosted to every 15mins. That would really help...
X1 eventually ended with just 1 journey Am and PM
Bathgate is now a ghost town compared to 15/20 years ago and now even the Market is virtually gone all bar a few stalls in the steelyard
A point being missed also is First count make these routes viable with virtually no competition (except 1994 and Lothians 9 and 64) how LCB envisage it paying with First even taking 50% or less is quite a mystery .

In Focus

Pretty sure Lothian, a company with YEARS of experience know what they are doing because if they didn't, then they wouldn't be here today. When Lothian started operating in West Lothian they had the sensible approach to heavily promote the new services via social media etc etc and even at local shopping centres. When was the last time First ever took that approach to promoting a new service? Probably never! If people know it's there, they will come and if they don't, they wont!
You are correct in that Lothian PR machine is on it and any negative Social Media is dealt with quickly where as First Social Media is centrally located Down South which leads to certain issues .
As for promoting new services when new network was launched First held Public meetings and altered a few parts of its networks (unfortunately this was prior to knowing about LCB )
First also had a road show in Centre on a few occasions ,another interesting point is St Johns Hospital who made it known to First they wanted bus numbers reduced in the grounds prior to allowing LCB to then use the same grounds !!
So a few of your points are valid but not them all .

Darklord8899

X1 eventually ended with just 1 journey Am and PM
Bathgate is now a ghost town compared to 15/20 years ago and now even the Market is virtually gone all bar a few stalls in the steelyard
A point being missed also is First count make these routes viable with virtually no competition (except 1994 and Lothians 9 and 64) how LCB envisage it paying with First even taking 50% or less is quite a mystery .

And the old Bus Depot has gone :lol:

overthewater

Established Member
I had the delight to see the 275 this lunchtime and I pleased to say it picked up six passengers from the gyle! So it's doing better, see this is what Lothian should be doing, routes which are not being provide by others. Its parlty why i like the 287.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
I had the delight to see the 275 this lunchtime and I pleased to say it picked up six passengers from the gyle! So it's doing better, see this is what Lothian should be doing, routes which are not being provide by others. Its parlty why i like the 287.

They are picking up so that is a good sign, though is 275 considered a new route? because the 21A used to run to Edinburgh Park but was it not to Whitburn at the West end? it goes to show my knowledge lol.

Then again it could just be an alteration of a previous route, like how the X27/X28 run via the exchange instead of Gorgie or the 124/X24 run via Portobello instead of Willowbrae. some change is beneficial in the long run.

Since it’s clear the X18 will obviously be limited stopping between Maybury and Haymarket does anything think it’ll follow the X12 or 100 stops? I’m hoping the X12 personally as it may pick up more numbers that way for city residents

Darklord8899

Since it’s clear the X18 will obviously be limited stopping between Maybury and Haymarket does anything think it’ll follow the X12 or 100 stops? I’m hoping the X12 personally as it may pick up more numbers that way for city residents

I would think same as X12, but you never know......

tbtc

Veteran Member
The X12 strikes me as an odd route - only running to/from Shandwick Place.

I appreciate that it interworks with other express services but it seems funny not to advertise that, as a guaranteed through connection would make things much more attractive to (potential) passengers. Some of the eastbound service runs through onto the X31 but there's no equivalent morning through service advertised IIRC. There used to be through services onto the 22 advertised, so you knew there was a direct link from (e.g.) Portabello to the Gyle in the morning.

I bet there are some reluctant commuters not wanting to risk an awkward connection on Princes Street (given rush hour traffic etc), when we enthusiasts know that it's a through service (same vehicle, same driver). Shame not to advertise it as such.

The X18 could make use of the X12 though - since the X12 is contra-peak - i.e. early service from Bathgate into Edinburgh diverts into Gogarburn on the way back out to West Lothian in the morning peak... X18s running into Edinburgh at teatime divert into Gogarburn to pick up RBS staff and take them towards town (before running a peak service back to Bathgate).

But as it's two different operators (or at least two different branches of the same overall organisation) I can't see it happening.

Darklord8899

The X12 strikes me as an odd route - only running to/from Shandwick Place.

I appreciate that it interworks with other express services but it seems funny not to advertise that, as a guaranteed through connection would make things much more attractive to (potential) passengers. Some of the eastbound service runs through onto the X31 but there's no equivalent morning through service advertised IIRC. There used to be through services onto the 22 advertised, so you knew there was a direct link from (e.g.) Portabello to the Gyle in the morning.

I bet there are some reluctant commuters not wanting to risk an awkward connection on Princes Street (given rush hour traffic etc), when we enthusiasts know that it's a through service (same vehicle, same driver). Shame not to advertise it as such.

The X18 could make use of the X12 though - since the X12 is contra-peak - i.e. early service from Bathgate into Edinburgh diverts into Gogarburn on the way back out to West Lothian in the morning peak... X18s running into Edinburgh at teatime divert into Gogarburn to pick up RBS staff and take them towards town (before running a peak service back to Bathgate).

But as it's two different operators (or at least two different branches of the same overall organisation) I can't see it happening.

The X12 used to run from Waterloo Place pre trams terminating at Ingliston P+R or RBS Gogarburn (and the 12 ran Seafield - Ratho)
There were 2 morning X26's that ran Port Seaton - city centre then as 22's to Gyle
(Those buses, which were from Marine, then returned as 22's to Foot of the walk)

Post tram introduction the X12 was changed to start either Shandwick Place (first 5) or Haymarket (last 2) but oddly no mention of the fact that there are 2 run throughs from X44's* and a run through from an X26*
(* Which another member on here posted the other day)

The first 4 afternoon X12's are shown as continuing through as X31's to Rosewell on the timetable, the remaining 3 terminate at Haymarket.

It does seem to make sense to me that the AM expresses from EL or ML run through to RBS (likewise PM from RBS then run through to Mid or East Lothian) but they must have reasons for not advertising this....

IIRC, the pre tram X12 did have 2 morning journeys that arrived at Waverly Steps as 33's from Ferniehill then ran as X12's to RBS Gogarburn.

tbtc

Veteran Member
The X12 used to run from Waterloo Place pre trams terminating at Ingliston P+R or RBS Gogarburn (and the 12 ran Seafield - Ratho)
There were 2 morning X26's that ran Port Seaton - city centre then as 22's to Gyle
(Those buses, which were from Marine, then returned as 22's to Foot of the walk)

Post tram introduction the X12 was changed to start either Shandwick Place (first 5) or Haymarket (last 2) but oddly no mention of the fact that there are 2 run throughs from X44's* and a run through from an X26*
(* Which another member on here posted the other day)

The first 4 afternoon X12's are shown as continuing through as X31's to Rosewell on the timetable, the remaining 3 terminate at Haymarket.

It does seem to make sense to me that the AM expresses from EL or ML run through to RBS (likewise PM from RBS then run through to Mid or East Lothian) but they must have reasons for not advertising this....

IIRC, the pre tram X12 did have 2 morning journeys that arrived at Waverly Steps as 33's from Ferniehill then ran as X12's to RBS Gogarburn.

Cheers for the detail :)

Edinburgh is an interesting city, in that there's peak demand to some significant places outside the city centre too - hence the X37 to the Western General/ Gas HQ, the X47 to Bush, the X12 to RBS (and once upon a time contra-peak services like the C12 to South Gyle, the 61 to Herriot Watt).

As you say, they must have their reasons for not advertising the through services - there are a handful of "surprising" through journeys advertised in the timetables (like the northbound 47 in the morning peak that tuns into a 34 at Tolcross?) but odd there's no mention of (say) afternoon X12s carrying on onto Princes Street (when they are doing that anyway). Who knows...

The X18s could be picking up a few additional passengers for RBS, but it's not up to me!

Tom1791

One thing I think Lothian Country could improve on is linking up their buses with universities/colleges in Edinburgh - for example extending the 275 to Sighthill (Napier and Edinburgh College) is just along the road from Edinburgh park but could probably attract a few more passengers. It would provide a good link with the X27/X28 and other Lothian services, too.

Darklord8899

One thing I think Lothian Country could improve on is linking up their buses with universities/colleges in Edinburgh - for example extending the 275 to Sighthill (Napier and Edinburgh College) is just along the road from Edinburgh park but could probably attract a few more passengers. It would provide a good link with the X27/X28 and other Lothian services, too.

.....have to bare in mind that the 63 (LB run council tender)links Edinburgh Park with Sighthill and Riccarton which is probably why the 275 doesn't do that.
Will be interesting to see when that tender comes up whether LCB bids for it or tries to do an extension of the 275 to cover it with the 63 Edinburgh Park to Queensferry or some other tweak.....

overthewater

Established Member
It would be better if it to Edinburgh north like Granton and Scottish Gas office.

.....have to bare in mind that the 63 (LB run council tender)links Edinburgh Park with Sighthill and Riccarton which is probably why the 275 doesn't do that.
Will be interesting to see when that tender comes up whether LCB bids for it or tries to do an extension of the 275 to cover it with the 63 Edinburgh Park to Queensferry or some other tweak.....
63 going no where even when it get retendered.. How else could SQ and Kirkiston get to Gyle?

Darklord8899

Cheers for the detail :)

Edinburgh is an interesting city, in that there's peak demand to some significant places outside the city centre too - hence the X37 to the Western General/ Gas HQ, the X47 to Bush, the X12 to RBS (and once upon a time contra-peak services like the C12 to South Gyle, the 61 to Herriot Watt).

As you say, they must have their reasons for not advertising the through services - there are a handful of "surprising" through journeys advertised in the timetables (like the northbound 47 in the morning peak that tuns into a 34 at Tolcross?) but odd there's no mention of (say) afternoon X12s carrying on onto Princes Street (when they are doing that anyway). Who knows...

The X18s could be picking up a few additional passengers for RBS, but it's not up to me!

Another X service which has run throughs in the Afternoon is the X33, the Afternoon journeys from Semple Street all arrive as 34's from Riccarton (one arrives as a 35 from Riccarton)
The X33 timetable says nothing about the AM arrivals at Semple Street continuing as anything else.

Darklord8899

It would be better if it to Edinburgh north like Granton and Scottish Gas office.

63 going no where even when it get retendered.. How else could SQ and Kirkiston get to Gyle?

If you read what I said, LCB could still run the 63 Edinburgh Park to Queensferry with the 275 being extended from Edinburgh Park to Sighthill and Riccarton
I am not saying it will happen, possibly more likely that LCB go for 63 "as is" but stranger things have happened when tenders have come up.

overthewater

Established Member
If you read what I said, LCB could still run the 63 Edinburgh Park to Queensferry with the 275 being extended from Edinburgh Park to Sighthill and Riccarton
I am not saying it will happen, possibly more likely that LCB go for 63 "as is" but stranger things have happened when tenders have come up.

The thing is 63 goes on such a long windy route to Riccarton, you would be better off getting a life to RBS!

tbtc

Veteran Member
Another X service which has run throughs in the Afternoon is the X33, the Afternoon journeys from Semple Street all arrive as 34's from Riccarton (one arrives as a 35 from Riccarton)
The X33 timetable says nothing about the AM arrivals at Semple Street continuing as anything else.

Interesting - thanks - I wasn't aware of that.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
I would think same as X12, but you never know......

According to a comment by Lothian Country it’ll follow the 100 stopping pattern after shandwick place. except it’ll also stop at Kirk Loan and none of the stops between Drum Brae and Maybury will be served.

So give or take the time it’ll take between Maybury to Shandwick place should be 20 minutes on the X18? not bad and it’s good it stops at a lot of key locations which should be beneficial to passangers on the Glasgow Road corridor too! I used to take the 100 to Corstorphine so I guess after December that won’t be the case anymore

Darklord8899

According to a comment by Lothian Country it’ll follow the 100 stopping pattern after shandwick place. except it’ll also stop at Kirk Loan and none of the stops between Drum Brae and Maybury will be served.

So give or take the time it’ll take between Maybury to Shandwick place should be 20 minutes on the X18? not bad and it’s good it stops at a lot of key locations which should be beneficial to passangers on the Glasgow Road corridor too! I used to take the 100 to Corstorphine so I guess after December that won’t be the case anymore

On reflection, I think it would be more along the lines of the 100, I was forgetting that the X12 served both the West End and Atholl Cres stops on Shandwick Place and observed all stops after Drum Brae.

Edirim

Ye oldie express timetables for WL - Edinburgh for '08 and '10.

Attachments

• Express-Services-FirstGroup.pdf
    327.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Express_Services_Timetable_6th_May_2008.pdf
    337.1 KB · Views: 27
Status
Not open for further replies.