• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Lothian buses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
So I assume the X27 will follow the 275 route immediately after the bus terminal, because I thought maybe the X27 would still serve St. John’s hospital before continuing to Whitburn so there’s still a direct link

If it does hopefully it goes direct to St. John's! Craigshill have enough bloody buses as it is :lol:.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Train368

So what is going to happen with Green Arrow? If I'm honest it's came across as a bit of a fail, the marketing side hasn't been great (what ever happened to the instgram and Twitter accounts?) and now only the EX2 will continue?

If they want to keep the brand going surely they will need to add another service to replace the EX1?

In Focus

One would also imagine they wouldn't be going on a recruitment drive either. As they let two driving instructors go last week. And they were told there was no work for them, not that they decided to leave. Granted they could take on. License holders. Personally I think that's lothians strategy just weaken and chip away and don't think there freighted to break a few eggs making that cake
Not quite how it happened but it reads well .

In Focus

Looks like they are cutting services .See if they get as much moaning as first did
Cutting services to save £££ ,no accounts ,non accountable for the costs of setting up this massive white elephant based solely on a hope that First disappears, wonder how it will work out if Someone with a bit of capital actually takes over First ,that should be interesting.

In Focus

I hope not........it's handy in emergencies and at weekends.
If they scrap the X18 between Armadale and Whitburn, I'm a bit scuppered because, with First only being 1/2 hourly during daylight hours, then flipping back to hourly after 6pm, If i miss the 21, then I've only got 20 mins or so to wait for an X18 to come along............ and on a Sunday, the X18 is pretty much essential, as there's a HUGE gap in the 21 timetable, being that a bus leaves Whitburn for Armadale/Bathgate/Livingston at 17:48 and the next one after that isn't till 20:48, so the X18, being 1/2 hourly 7 days a week is a lifeline.

It may be a "lifeline " bit completely uneconomical to say the least .

In Focus

If the X38 goes via Broxburn, does that mean it will bypass Winchburgh?

Arrrgh!
Yes as no way from Winchburgh back to Broxburn that would make any logical sense .
It would need to go through Threemiletown and ecclesmachan to Uphall .
It could of course go part Winchburgh then back down Greendykes road but that would only catch last bus stops in Broxburn and would seems a pointless exercise.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Put it simply, get rid of what isn’t used and/or can be covered by others and adjust the network to suit the market better. That looks like what they’re doing to me and it’s what first did when Lothian came out last year.

Is it correct that the 600 will be only double deck route that First have now? Apparently all of the non pink ones have moved to Glasgow. Don’t get me wrong I understand why they’ve switched the network over to singles but the 600 being the only double deck route just wouldn’t make sense in my view

Yesterday I spotted a normal bus on the 25, liveried for the 23.

https://lothiancountry.co.uk/changes-to-our-services-from-19-november/

Changes to our Services from 19 November
We will be making changes to our network from 17 November that will continue to build our services in West Lothian and offer more connections and better links into Edinburgh city centre.

The changes take place following an in-depth and thorough customer analysis, aligned with on-board customer feedback surveys and wider consultation with the community and our stakeholders.

Our Service X27/X28 will be expanded and more frequent with NEW direct links to Edinburgh from Blackburn, Eliburn and Howden and faster journeys from Whitburn to St John’s Hospital. It will also have new direct links from Whitburn to the Calders for Heriot Watt University, Napier University and Edinburgh College.

Following extensive customer feedback and requests from residents, we will be introducing a new Service X38 from Linlithgow to Edinburgh which will serve Winchburgh, Kirkliston, Ratho Station and Corstorphine. This service will operate up to every 20 minutes Monday to Saturday, and every 30-minutes on a Sunday. It will operate using high quality low emission Euro 6 vehicles, reducing emissions and offering an enhanced customer experience.

November will also see the introduction of a Sunday service on the our X17 route, as well as a later journey Monday-Saturday between Edinburgh and Fauldhouse. Service 287 will serve Livingston Village, offering the area direct links to St John’s Hospital, Livingston Centre and Bathgate.

Nigel Serafini, Commercial Director, Lothian said:

Following customer feedback and route analysis, we are delighted to introduce changes to our current network to better serve the local community of West Lothian. Following years of requests from a wide range of our customers and stakeholders, the introduction of a new X38 service will offer regular journeys from Linlithgow to Edinburgh, serving other key areas along the route, in particular giving residents in Kirkliston a long awaited Lothian operated service to and from the city centre.

This network change will provide a comprehensive and reliable service for all of our customers who use our services locally, as well as for commuters travelling to and from Edinburgh city centre increasing the options for travel whilst reducing car use and making our city a better and cleaner place to be.

Councillor Lesley Macinnes Transport and Environment Convener said:

Any measures that promote the use of public transport by increasing choice and frequency are to be welcomed.

In particular, I welcome the enhanced level of service that this will bring to residents of Kirkliston and west Edinburgh.

That these buses are low emission, Euro 6 vehicles, which will limit their impact on the environment, is particularly encouraging.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Yep, called it on the X17 Sunday service!! every 20 minutes for the X38 is a surprise!

So the X27/X28 will run every 30 minutes each it seems, no news on an X18 increase though

Observer

X38 using Euro 6 vehicles and not 04-plate single decks as suggested, so are they getting brand new vehicles or are there any hand-me-downs possible from Lothian?

Observer

The EX1 will be remembered as one of the shortest lived services in Lothian's history. Just over four months of operation.
At least they cut their losses quickly. The question is however what do they do with the remaining coaches. Do they offload them to another subsidiary or convert another route to coach operation?

Hopefully it is brand new buses.
Perhaps the ADL/Volvo single decks that people have been banging on about, if they are built in time?

EastScot

It will be interesting to see how the x38 works out.

With First, you can go from Edinburgh to Linlithgow on a £25 weekly ticket. (7 days travel, and further if you wish.) There's a lot of people who go to Edinburgh and Falkirk that use the £25 ticket so First will retain their custom at least as using both services will be very expensive.

First also offer Winchburgh a day return to Edinburgh for £4 to match the Kirklison £4 day ticket.

This will now mean 10 buses an hour driving through Linlithgow. 38, X38, EX2 and 1s. (Excluding all the smaller operators.)

Jordan Adam

Established Member
At least they cut their losses quickly. The question is however what do they do with the remaining coaches. Do they offload them to another subsidiary or convert another route to coach operation?

The EX2 will probably require an extra coach. Pure guess work but could they transfer the coaches to ECB with some Eclipse 3s going the other way for the X38...

overthewater

Established Member
There are clearing masking cuts here, places like knightsbridge, cut in half. Craighills goes from 6 - 4ph, Sky campus losing it only bus as well

287 no longer goes via Eilburn, while if I get this correct X27: Whitburn - Blackburn, Eliburn - St Johns - Howden ( AGAIN with Howden) - Deridge West - as now but every 30mins

With First, you can go from Edinburgh to Linlithgow on a £25 weekly ticket. (7 days travel, and further if you wish.) There's a lot of people who go to Edinburgh and Falkirk that use the £25 ticket so First will retain their custom at least as using both services will be very expensive.

First also offer Winchburgh a day return to Edinburgh for £4 to match the Kirklison £4 day ticket.

THIS RIGHT HERE, is the reason why First could still win the battle on this route, Cheaper fares and every 15mins. Compared to outrageous weekly and monthly tickets and only every 20mins.

The EX2 will probably require an extra coach. Pure guess work but could they transfer the coaches to ECB with some Eclipse 3s going the other way for the X38...

It will only need on extra coach? so that still 3 spare coaches, and the talk was another 8 were on order?

Last edited:

DunsBus

Established Member

Perhaps the ADL/Volvo single decks that people have been banging on about, if they are built in time?

I remember the 63's diversion to Whitburn lasting even shorter than the EX1 has. 14 weeks in 1994 (4th September - 10th December).

DunsBus

Established Member
There are clearing masking cuts here, places like knightsbridge, cut in half. Craighills goes from 6 - 4ph, Sky campus losing it only bus as well

287 no longer goes via Eilburn, while if I get this correct X27: Whitburn - Blackburn, Eliburn - St Johns - Howden ( AGAIN with Howden) - Deridge West - as now but every 30mins

THIS RIGHT HERE, is the reason why First could still in the battle on this route, Cheaper fares and every 15mins. Compared to outrageous weekly and monthly tickets and only every 20mins.

It will only need on extra coach? so that still 3 spare coaches, and the talk was another 8 were on order?

Yes, cuts being marketed as an improvement. Nothing beats a bit of PR spin! :lol:
LCB have come too late to the Kirkliston party. They should have served there from the off, but didn't, and First took the opportunity to enhance their Kirkliston service in the interim.

This new X38 is the equivalent of p*ssing into the wind. LCB are offering nothing which First doesn't offer already.

KGGXXXY

Could the remaining EX1 "Green Arrow" coaches go onto the X38? or would they be too high for the low bridge also? I'm not familiar with the route.

Status
Not open for further replies.