• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Lothian buses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Could the remaining EX1 "Green Arrow" coaches go onto the X38? or would they be too high for the low bridge also? I'm not familiar with the route.

To add to the above comments single deckers would also just be far more suitable since it's really a "local" route. Not to mention coaches would also slow it down due to longer time needed at stops.

My money would be on ex Skylink Gemini 3s although I do like @Jordan Adam 's wildcard suggestion on the ECB trade!

Unless they were to put some Skylinks to ECB (If that's possible on any routes, perhaps the X5?) in order to free some B8RLEs for the X38.

I suspect the 3 spare Green Arrow coaches will just go to LMC. Unless they plan to do something with the 275 that involves the Airport... Again though just pure guesswork.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Bridge at Linlithgow canal is 10’9 so no coaches could be used for X38 that for sure . ( I know that hasn’t been suggested , just saying) also when being diverted from Linlithgow bridge at times . The mill rd bridge shows 9’6 . a b7 (10’6) will fit under this , it shouldn’t but there you go . but these bridges will dictate what buses could be used .

In Focus

The Bridge at Linlithgow canal is 10’9 so no coaches could be used for X38 that for sure . ( I know that hasn’t been suggested , just saying) also when being diverted from Linlithgow bridge at times . The mill rd bridge shows 9’6 . a b7 (10’6) will fit under this , it shouldn’t but there you go . but these bridges will dictate what buses could be used .
Or as Fauldhouse showed ,perhaps not !!

that’s a diversion route when the Linlithgow marches are on .and I’ve had a B7 go through it .streetlites too but they show 10’1
had an E300 through it too but then they’re 9’9 .at the other end at the back of Linlithgow station it’s really tight going over the bridge and it’s advised to use a ferry lift up but as you may know the E300 dosent have a ferry lift and still got over it so not really all that needed. Is there any B8 singles ordered by Lothian ?

scosutsut

Unless they were to put some Skylinks to ECB (If that's possible on any routes, perhaps the X5?) in order to free some B8RLEs for the X38.

I suspect the 3 spare Green Arrow coaches will just go to LMC. Unless they plan to do something with the 275 that involves the Airport... Again though just pure guesswork.

ECB wise only the X7 and 106 can't run deckers due to low bridges at Dunbar and Newcraighall as far as I can think of... Not sure of the ex Lothian Dalkeith routes though think they are ok?

My wildcard would be ex Skylink to LCB, freeing GA coaches to ECB in exchange for Eclipse 3s?

Full disclosure, I really want the coaches on the X7 so I'll invent any situation where that happens!

Is there any B8 singles ordered by Lothian ?

Rumours of Alexander Dennis reincarnating the E300 in some shape or form as a body on the B8 chassis for them but not seen/heard anything concrete.

Driver362

Yes as no way from Winchburgh back to Broxburn that would make any logical sense .
It would need to go through Threemiletown and ecclesmachan to Uphall .
It could of course go part Winchburgh then back down Greendykes road but that would only catch last bus stops in Broxburn and would seems a pointless exercise.
It's not going via Broxburn that's nonsense it will follow route of current 38 so winchburgh WILL be served. Honestly is it a case of what you don't know make up and spout as fact!

Last edited:

Driver362

that’s a diversion route when the Linlithgow marches are on .and I’ve had a B7 go through it .streetlites too but they show 10’1
had an E300 through it too but then they’re 9’9 .at the other end at the back of Linlithgow station it’s really tight going over the bridge and it’s advised to use a ferry lift up but as you may know the E300 dosent have a ferry lift and still got over it so not really all that needed. Is there any B8 singles ordered by Lothian ?
No there's not as far as I'm aware but we'll have to wait and see. I used to regularly take a scania solar eclipse through that bridge on the L1 many moons ago. Cab stated 10'6" and it went through on. Many many occasion. Also I have driven ex Glasgow E300 's that had operational ferry lift!

Jordan Adam

Established Member
ECB wise only the X7 and 106 can't run deckers due to low bridges at Dunbar and Newcraighall as far as I can think of... Not sure of the ex Lothian Dalkeith routes though think they are ok?

My wildcard would be ex Skylink to LCB, freeing GA coaches to ECB in exchange for Eclipse 3s?

Full disclosure, I really want the coaches on the X7 so I'll invent any situation where that happens!

3 GA coaches will be freed up in these changes, Ex-Skylinks could go on the North Berwick roads (and remaining 104 duties) freeing up B8RLEs for the X38 and maybe even the X17, although not sure i'd want to send such a bus to Fauldhouse...

Rumours of Alexander Dennis reincarnating the E300 in some shape or form as a body on the B8 chassis for them but not seen/heard anything concrete.

Been in the talks for ages, it's fully believable. However time will tell if it's a reality.

It's not going via Broxburn that's nonsense it will follow route of current 38 so winchburgh WILL be served. Honestly is it a case of what you don't know make up and spout as fact!

No need to be aggressive, if you had looked at post after that one you'd see the routing had already been answered, nobody was making up anything and claiming it to be fact, it was merely suspicion and discussion.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member

Think the X5 would work with a double decker, or new buses for the 113 as mentioned in a previous forum

In Focus

I never claimed it was ,I was replying to someone asking the question, so not sure why your quoting my reply ?

ANWP Tom

At least they cut their losses quickly. The question is however what do they do with the remaining coaches. Do they offload them to another subsidiary or convert another route to coach operation?

Had heard the fall back was to redeploy onto the ECB X7, so the thought of the ECB modern singles moving the other way would seem logical. With regard to a potential expansion of Fleet will 8 new+3 transfers be enough to cover X5 and X7?

Could see 10101/102 going and 8/10 of the 100** ones going West

A330Alex

Amusing to see councillors of all sorts rushing to claim credit over the X38 serving Kirkliston

buslad1988

May be wrong but Lothian eclipses 176/177 have been internally refurbished with the new style seats... although haven’t had a repaint. That leads me to think these (and I assume more from that batch) may be ear marked for Lothian Country.

SpeedbirdA350

May be wrong but Lothian eclipses 176/177 have been internally refurbished with the new style seats... although haven’t had a repaint. That leads me to think these (and I assume more from that batch) may be ear marked for Lothian Country.
176 and 177 could be but they are Euro 5 not Euro 6 as the press release had stated. The only Euro 6 singles Lothian has are the Volvo 7905LH 11-50, ECB also have the B8RLE 10051-10065. Perhaps they will be heading to replace the 04 plates

Volvodart

Established Member
Lothian have Scottish Government money for Euro 6 exhaust conversion, but the wording of the press release would not really apply if that was the case.

SpeedbirdA350

Lothian have Scottish Government money for Euro 6 exhaust conversion, but the wording of the press release would not really apply if that was the case.
I would have assumed if they were going to convert buses with that fund, that they'd do some of the B9TLs which are used in city centre over B7RLEs that are not in a hot spot so to speak. But I guess they COULD upgrade the B7RLEs.

buslad1988

176 and 177 could be but they are Euro 5 not Euro 6 as the press release had stated. The only Euro 6 singles Lothian has are the Volvo 7905LH 11-50, ECB also have the B8RLE 10051-10065. Perhaps they will be heading to replace the 04 plates

Sure all will become clear in time! Just seems odd for them to refurbish a bus but not repaint it. Which must surely means it’s heading somewhere in the not too distant future; albeit LCB or ECB.

overthewater

Established Member
Some important KEY Questions:

* Will X17 and X18 stay at every 30mins?
* Will X18 go back via Wester inch?
* Will 275 and 287 interlink? if the 287 going to Rail Station will increase the running time?
* Where will the spare GA coaches go? has this stopped the plans Ex3?

Bus9120UK

Established Member
They do, aswell as 178 and possibly 179.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member

* Will 275 and 287 interlink? if the 287 going to Rail Station will increase the running time?

I would like to guess the 275 and 287 will interlink, they share the same stance at the bus terminal I believe!

DunsBus

Established Member

Another question which could well be asked is what if First's Livingston depot was sold to a new owner? If this was to happen, it would turn things on its head and quite possibly result in an agreement being reached.

I remember when SMT was sold to a pre-First GRT in 1994; one of the first acts of the new owners was to call a truce with LRT which saw SMT reduce its presence in Edinburgh and LRT pull out of West Lothian.

We could well see history repeat itself. ;)

overthewater

Established Member
I doubt Lothian will pull out of West Lothian now, of course there will NOT go for the kill, which is rather telling.

DunsBus

Established Member
Should have been six months ago then. The key question is why does it still not want to have proper weekly ticket, Feels so much like cowboys.

ECB still doesn't have a proper weekly ticket either.

LCB don't want to admit that the operation is running at a loss, hence all the network tweaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.