• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Lothian Council tenders 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

overthewater

Established Member
The tenders have been awarded, I think, to six operators; McGill's and Lothian (fingers crossed they got the X40) are included. What we don't know is the routes that said companies will operate.

V.2 Award of contract​

V.2.1) Date of conclusion of the contract​

01/05/2023

V.2.2) Information about tenders​

Number of tenders received: 6

Number of tenders received from SMEs: 5

Number of tenders received from tenderers from EU Member States: 0

Number of tenders received from tenderers from non-EU Member States: 6

Number of tenders received by electronic means: 6

The contract has been awarded to a group of economic operators: Yes

V.2.3) Name and address of the contractor​

Handicabs Lothian
24/3A Dryden Road
Edinburgh
EH20 9HX
UK
Telephone: +44 1314479953
NUTS: UKM78
The contractor is an SME: Yes

E & M Horsburgh Ltd
180 Uphall Station Road, Pumpherston
Livingston
EH53 0PD
UK
Telephone: +44 1506432251
Fax: +44 1506835405
NUTS: UK

sd travel
yard 3 inchcross ind est
bathgate
eh48 2hs
UK
Telephone: +44 1501743333
NUTS: UKM78

McGills Midland Bluebird
300 Stirling Road
Larbert
FK5 3NJ
UK
Telephone: +44 1324602229
NUTS: UKM

Lothian Buses Ltd
55 Annandale Street
Edinburgh
EH9 3HX
UK
Telephone: +44 1314750144
NUTS: UKM75
The contractor is an SME: No

Victoria Group Limited
Forehill, Longside Road
Peterhead
AB423LA
UK
Telephone: +44 1779480480
NUTS: UKM50

With the Winchburgh Kick starter, well its not been successful.. I dare say they will try again before October deadline.

Section II: Object
II.1) Scope of the procurement
II.1.1) Title
WLC Winchburgh Bus Kick Start

Reference number: CC12766

II.1.2) Main CPV code

II.1.3) Type of contract
Services

II.1.4) Short description
Due to the expansion of Winchburgh, a service connecting it with Livingston is seen as an important route. It is anticipated that in time this route would prove to be commercially viable, but initial funding will help operators to trial this opportunity whilst business grows.

II.1.6) Information about lots
This contract is divided into lots: No

II.2) Description
II.2.3) Place of performance
NUTS code:

UKM78

Main site or place of performance:

Roads between Winchburgh and Livingston in West Lothian

II.2.4) Description of the procurement
Due to the expansion of Winchburgh, a bus service connecting it with Livingston is seen as an important route. It is anticipated that in time this route would prove to be commercially viable, but initial funding will help operators to trial this opportunity whilst business grows.

II.2.5) Award criteria
Quality criterion: Assessment of Potential Growth / Weighting: 7

Quality criterion: Service Data / Weighting: 2.5

Quality criterion: Brief of Service Data / Weighting: 14

Quality criterion: Service Frequency / Weighting: 9

Quality criterion: Assessment of Change in Accessibility / Weighting: 2

Quality criterion: Assessment of potential impacts on other modes. / Weighting: 2

Quality criterion: Assessment of the potential to reduce congestion / Weighting: 2.5

Quality criterion: Demonstrate and detail supporting programmes / Weighting: 7

Quality criterion: Customer Complaints Policy / Weighting: 2

Quality criterion: Fair Work First / Weighting: 2

Price / Weighting: 50

II.2.11) Information about options
Options: No

II.2.13) Information about European Union funds
The procurement is related to a project and/or programme financed by European Union funds: No

II.2.14) Additional information
Re: SPD Q3D.1, 3D.2 and 3D.3 Bidders should answer these questions on Environmental, social and labour law in relation to compliance with the regulations covering Scotland and the UK.

Section IV: Procedure
IV.1) Description
IV.1.1) Type of procedure
Open procedure

IV.1.8) Information about Government Procurement Agreement (GPA)
The procurement is covered by the Government Procurement Agreement: Yes

IV.2) Administrative information
IV.2.1) Previous publication concerning this procedure
Notice number in the OJ S:

2023/S 000-009387

Section V: Award of contract
Contract No: CC12766

A contract/lot is awarded: No

V.1 Information on non-award
The contract/lot is not awarded

No tenders or requests to participate were received or all were rejected

Ive just noticed something, Its say McGills Midland Bluebird and NOT McGills Eastern Scottish.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mb88

Interesting. Hopefully won’t be too long until we get more detail. When are these contracts due to start do you know? Curious as to what ‘Victoria Group’ Peterhead has been awarded.

overthewater

Established Member
It was said they will start in October, so lets hope early. It wouldn't surprise me if they go for the last week in September like in previous years.

stevenedin

The tenders have been awarded, I think, to six operators; McGill's and Lothian (fingers crossed they got the X40) are included. What we don't know is the routes that said companies will operate.

With the Winchburgh Kick starter, well its not been successful.. I dare say they will try again before October deadline.

Ive just noticed something, Its say McGills Midland Bluebird and NOT McGills Eastern Scottish.
The postcode is wrong for Lothian Buses, the address is wrong for Handicabs Lothian. It is in Loanhead not Edinburgh, E&M Horsburgh is at Pumpherston not Livingston and SD Travel is all lower case. Who writes these things?

plebb11

On Moderation
The above tender result is not for a contract or service, it just means these companies are preferred bidders in future.

overthewater

Established Member
These are the six bidders for the tenders which are about to go out for review?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
These are the six bidders for the tenders which are about to go out for review?
It's difficult to know what you're referring to; the first link in your opening post goes to the Winchburgh kick-starter. If you could edit that link to point to the document you've actually quoted, that would be helpful.

overthewater

Established Member
Done.

It does say:
Abstract:Award of first round for Dynamic Purchasing System for subsidised local bus routes
CPV: 60000000, 34120000, 60112000, 60130000, 60140000.

overthewater

Established Member
A odd thing has appeared. This service is paid for by Falkirk council however the early morning work is paid for by West Lothian council as the 449. Is it possible we're finally going to see this dog dinner fixed? The F1 was not due to end this year, let alone in the middle of September; that not how Falkirk council works.

• PM0002466/112 Cancelled​

PRENTICE WESTWOOD LTD
    Route: Maddiston Stance to Linlithgow Cross via Whitecross, Linlithgow Bridge
    Service number: F1
    Service type: Hail & Ride, Normal Stopping
    Effective date: 16 Sep 2023

Last edited by a moderator:

Mollman

Established Member
Basically, West Lothian have set up a Dynamic Purchasing System (DPS) which is a framework that you have to join to be able to bid for contracts. A DPS in now being preferred by authorities because it does not close (until it is about to end) thus any new operator can join at any time e.g. if Stagecoach decided next year to try expanding into West Lothian it could still join the DPS rather than being told 'sorry it closed last year and you can't apply until we set a new one up in three years time'.

There is no guarantee that all of the operators on the DPS will actually bid for work.

stevenedin

A Friend of mine on a visit to the Horsburgh depot has told me that they are losing all their service work in October.
Although it’s a shame and I wouldn’t wish it on any operator, I think that the state of the vehicles that they send out may have something to do with it.

I’m assuming they may pick up some other school or chartered work.

That means that the 5A, 6, 7, 9A, 9B, 9C, 31 (Livingston to Birniehall Sunday), 40 and X40 will all go to other operators if those routes exist still after the West Lothian tender overhaul.

SERVICE 5A BATHGATE TOWN SERVICE​

Timetable

SERVICE 6 WHITBURN TOWN SERVICE​

Timetable

SERVICE 7 QUEENSFERRY TO ST JOHNS​

Timetable

SERVICE 7 ST JOHNS TO QUEENSFERRY​

Timetable

SERVICE 9 MUIRESTON CIRCULAR​

Timetable

SERVICE X40/40 ST JOHNS TO RIE WEEKEND TIMETABLE​

Timetable

SERVICE X40/40 ST JOHNS TO RIE MON-FRI​

Timetable

SERVICE 31 LIVINGSTON TO BIRNIEHALL SUNDAY​

EDIT - I’m not sure if the website is correct or not as I think Eastern Scottish do the 31 on Sundays now.

I’m expecting SD Travel to pick up a few of these and possibly Eastern Scottish and Lothiancountry.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Although it’s a shame and I wouldn’t wish it on any operator, I think that the state of the vehicles that they send out may have something to do with it.

I’m assuming they may pick up some other school or chartered work.

That means that the 5A, 6, 7, 9A, 9B, 9C, 31 (Livingston to Birniehall Sunday), 40 and X40 will all go to other operators if those routes exist still after the West Lothian tender overhaul.

EDIT - I’m not sure if the website is correct or not as I think Eastern Scottish do the 31 on Sundays now.

I’m expecting SD Travel to pick up a few of these and possibly Eastern Scottish and Lothiancountry.

It will be interesting to see what happens.
You’re correct in saying that Eastern Scottish runs the Sunday 31. It’s a bit of a known joke that Horsburgh’s website is notoriously out of date.

I myself think McGill’s will opt not to renew the 31 as well as I suspect they will aim to run nothing at all on a Sunday, which is why I expect them to stop running the Edinburgh contracts too. Building a roster that solely involves a handful of contracts on a Sunday only probably isn’t the best.

It may be that Horsburgh has opted not to re-tender as well, as the economics could mean that school contracts etc pay out better. I’d find it unlikely they’ve just lost everything.

If this is correct, SD Travel probably stands to gain most of the routes, while the 40/X40 is probably open for debate. I suspect some routes (such as the 16) may be cut completely, with a lack of resources/demand being the cited reasons.

LiviCrazy

You’re correct in saying that Eastern Scottish runs the Sunday 31. It’s a bit of a known joke that Horsburgh’s website is notoriously out of date.

I myself think McGill’s will opt not to renew the 31 as well as I suspect they will aim to run nothing at all on a Sunday, which is why I expect them to stop running the Edinburgh contracts too. Building a roster that solely involves a handful of contracts on a Sunday only probably isn’t the best.

It may be that Horsburgh has opted not to re-tender as well, as the economics could mean that school contracts etc pay out better. I’d find it unlikely they’ve just lost everything.

If this is correct, SD Travel probably stands to gain most of the routes, while the 40/X40 is probably open for debate. I suspect some routes (such as the 16) may be cut completely, with a lack of resources/demand being the cited reasons.
Could see Prentice Westwood picking stuff up again. They ran a number of routes in the past for WLC, 400/401 (current 40/X40), 424 to Juniper Green and 409/410/411 (current 9a/b/c).

overthewater

Established Member
I'm not one bit surprised the amount of complaints the council get from the public about them, Im surprised they managed to hang on this long. I sure Eastern Scottish will be after the No9 so they can bolt it on to the 21.

Route 7 is another route which is unlikely to be kept on, apart from one 6am journey and one 8pm journey everything else is really covered by the X51, and hopefully the ALL new Winchburgh bus link.

Last edited:

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Route 7 is another route which is unlikely to be kept on, apart from one 6am journey and one 8pm journey everything else is really covered by the X51, and hopefully the ALL new Winchburgh bus link.
I agree. The X51 covers most of it so I think the 7’s days might also be numbered.

I was on their dart on the 40 today and it was horrific, I was planning to stay on until the Royal Infirmary terminus but I ended up getting off at Hermiston Park and Ride.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I've been on the X40 twice recently, first time was an Solo VX05HPP which was pretty rapid albeit looked worse for wear with the interior being covered in masking tape repairs and generally looking (and smelling...) like a relic from 40 years ago, the driver was also vaping however i've noticed that seems to be common place with independent operators in Central Scotland.... The second time was on Volvo B7RLE FJ04ETY which unusually seems to be limited to 40mph, thus by the time it got to Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh it was around 15 minutes late, that aside it sounded lovely.

I've been on the X40 twice recently, first time was an Solo VX05HPP which was pretty rapid albeit looked worse for wear with the interior being covered in masking tape repairs and generally looking (and smelling...) like a relic from 40 years ago, the driver was also vaping however i've noticed that seems to be common place with independent operators in Central Scotland.... The second time was on Volvo B7RLE FJ04ETY which unusually seems to be limited to 40mph, thus by the time it got to Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh it was around 15 minutes late, that aside it sounded lovely.
Do you mean vaping on the bus? I've never experienced that from a driver before but obviously because lots of youths vape nowadays you do see them getting kicked off.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Do you mean vaping on the bus? I've never experienced that from a driver before but obviously because lots of youths vape nowadays you do see them getting kicked off.
Yes vaping while driving, i've seen drivers doing it with practically every single independent operator i've been on in Central Scotland lately.

Yes vaping while driving, i've seen drivers doing it with practically every single independent operator i've been on in Central Scotland lately.
That's not great, if a driver is going to do it then I'd prefer if they did it outside of the bus.

The management of small independents don’t care about such things like smoking/vaping by the driver.

To be fair the main reason small independents get staff is because they practically get away with anything.

Lothianbus703

The former Lothian and Arriva RIG 6491/6492 are good but are also worse for wear.

I have heard a lot of their service buses will be scrapped but I can not confirm.

I had Solo YN03NDY, which to say the least, one could easily tell its age! Didn't help that my friends were being a bit loud and some old crank decided to threaten to fight us for some reason.

Perhaps if we weren't crammed into a tiny loud Solo they wouldn't have been as loud (although I had warned them earlier)

Voyager lad

Really I think the X40/40 should all run as a 40 and hopefully Lothian Country or Eastern will get it. Might be time to look at consolidating some of the other routes. The 31 could actually be split - I’ve often thought it could somehow be merged with the F45 (Falkirk Council tender) to run a Livingston - Bo’ness service and a Bathgate - Linlithgow service (possibly merged with the L1?)

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Really I think the X40/40 should all run as a 40 and hopefully Lothian Country or Eastern will get it. Might be time to look at consolidating some of the other routes. The 31 could actually be split - I’ve often thought it could somehow be merged with the F45 (Falkirk Council tender) to run a Livingston - Bo’ness service and a Bathgate - Linlithgow service (possibly merged with the L1?)
I like your thinking, but I’d suggest the F1 with eastern leg of 31; which would be a Maddiston to Livingston service. Then the Bathgate stretch of the 31 could merge with the F45 and F49 services? This would admittedly involve some doubling back though within Linlithgow.

The L1, as a town service, would be difficult to merge with anything.

In any case, I can’t see how or why they’d want to merge separate council’s contracts into one service, unless it could be proved that demand existed for through journeys.

I have to agree that the X40 probably isn’t a necessity anymore and that all journeys could work as 40’s. An hourly service would require just three buses if that was taken up.

stevenedin

I like your thinking, but I’d suggest the F1 with eastern leg of 31; which would be a Maddiston to Livingston service. Then the Bathgate stretch of the 31 could merge with the F45 and F49 services? This would admittedly involve some doubling back though within Linlithgow.

In any case, I can’t see how or why they’d want to merge separate council’s contracts into one service, unless it could be proved that demand existed for through journeys.

I have to agree that the X40 probably isn’t a necessity anymore and that all journeys could work as 40’s. An hourly service would require just three buses if that was taken up.
Perhaps both Councils putting money together it may work out cheaper for them. The 40/X40 is currently jointly paid for by West Lothian Council and the City of Edinburgh Council.

LiviCrazy

I think the 31 does need a revision so either Springfield or Bridgend are cut out (and added to one of the other services in the area). Right now it adds quite a lot of time the doubling back on itself, whereas if it could come straight up from Threemiletown to Philpstoun then onwards to Bridgend/Springfield it would make the journey considerably quicker.

Stan Drews

Established Member

The F1 has been cancelled from the middle of next month, and I’m not aware of any planned replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.