• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West midlands day ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nash

Can I buy this rover ticket outside the area of use ? ie Cardiff Central ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, you can buy it from any staffed station.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
As far as I am aware you can buy any rover anywhere, however staff may struggle a bit if it's something far away from their area. For instance trying to buy a Tyne/Tees Day Ranger at London Euston may lead to some bemused ticket office clerks ;)

Established Member
As far as I am aware you can buy any rover anywhere, however staff may struggle a bit if it's something far away from their area. For instance trying to buy a Tyne/Tees Day Ranger at London Euston may lead to some bemused ticket office clerks ;)

Bought one of those at Carlisle. Looked a bit suprised at first but gladly gave me the ticket. Will try it at Penzance one day...

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I have bought them from both Epsom and Euston - though it helps to be able to produce an old one so that they know what you're talking about when you ask for one out of area.

Established Member
The code for the ticket is I274, that should help the ticket office staff even more.

Nash

Thanks for quick replies everyone, maybe you can help with another, I will be purchasing the WMDR and the 3 in 7 day Severn and Solent ticket together as I want to travel from Bristol Parkway to Birmingham but the only place these tickets "join" up is the Worcester stations, would I have to use the Worcester route or could I go direct from Parkway to Birmingham without paying any extra ?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thanks for quick replies everyone, maybe you can help with another, I will be purchasing the WMDR and the 3 in 7 day Severn and Solent ticket together as I want to travel from Bristol Parkway to Birmingham but the only place these tickets "join" up is the Worcester stations, would I have to use the Worcester route or could I go direct from Parkway to Birmingham without paying any extra ?
You would have to use the Worcester route because the tickets must cover the entire journey. More importantly, because both tickets are defined as leisure travel passes, your train(s) will have to call at Worcester.

MichaelAMW

You would have to use the Worcester route because the tickets must cover the entire journey. More importantly, because both tickets are defined as leisure travel passes, your train(s) will have to call at Worcester.

I disagree. The C of C gives the requirement as: "one of the tickets is a Season Ticket (which for this purpose does not include Season Tickets or travel passes issued on behalf of a passenger transport executive or local authority) or a leisure travel pass, and the other ticket(s) is/are not."

and then goes on to explain:

"For the purposes of this Condition, a “leisure travel pass” means any multi-journey ticket (excluding Season Tickets) valid for:

(i) at least 7 consecutive days; or
(ii) at least 3 days in a period of at least 7 consecutive days

and includes rover tickets, travel passes, flexipass tickets and Britrail passes."

So, the OP satifies the relevant condition that means the train does *not* have to stop at the boundary between the tickets, because the day rover is not a season/leisure pass. However, you are of course right that the whole journey has to be covered.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You're right, I've mis-read what the WMDR is. It's not a leisure travel pass. Apologies for that.

Nash

I disagree. The C of C gives the requirement as: "one of the tickets is a Season Ticket (which for this purpose does not include Season Tickets or travel passes issued on behalf of a passenger transport executive or local authority) or a leisure travel pass, and the other ticket(s) is/are not."

and then goes on to explain:

"For the purposes of this Condition, a “leisure travel pass” means any multi-journey ticket (excluding Season Tickets) valid for:

(i) at least 7 consecutive days; or
(ii) at least 3 days in a period of at least 7 consecutive days

and includes rover tickets, travel passes, flexipass tickets and Britrail passes."

So, the OP satifies the relevant condition that means the train does *not* have to stop at the boundary between the tickets, because the day rover is not a season/leisure pass. However, you are of course right that the whole journey has to be covered.

Hi

Are you saying then I do not have to call at Worcester to get to Birmingham on these ranger tickets ?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi

Are you saying then I do not have to call at Worcester to get to Birmingham on these ranger tickets ?
No you don't have to call there, but you have to go through it.

Nash

I dont think any trains go from Bristol to Birmingham via Worcester, not a.m. when I am going.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I dont think any trains go from Bristol to Birmingham via Worcester, not a.m. when I am going.
Unless you catch one of the diverted XC services (see PSUL), you will have to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.