• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Western Region Local Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich McLean

Established Member
Ok, we haven't had a fantasy thread for a while

I used to live down this way, and as I have used trains down there in the past, I thought of a few things.

One thing I would like to see if there were ever enough stock, is for the Gunnislake services to be extended to Exeter. From Plymouth, this service would stop at all shacks to Exeter, coupling to the hourly stopper from Paignton at Newton Abbot, and uncoupling at Exeter, and coupling up to the next return working, again splitting at Newton Abbot and continue to Gunnislake all shacks. If coupling at Newton Abbot were an issued and same with Exeter, this service could terminate at Newton Abbot.

Ideally this would fit round the few Bristol/Exeter to Penzance local services. This service would be the same frequency as the Gunnislake service. So when a Exeter to Penzance service operates.

This would then mean more intercity services could skip Totnes meaning faster journey times to London. Also with portion working along the Dawlish Sea Wall, another path would not be needed to be found over that section. It would also provide greater options for passengers.

What would you like to see improved in the Western Region Local Services

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TEW

Established Member
One thing I would like to see if there were ever enough stock, is for the Gunnislake services to be extended to Exeter. From Plymouth, this service would stop at all shacks to Exeter, coupling to the hourly stopper from Paignton at Newton Abbot, and uncoupling at Exeter, and coupling up to the next return working, again splitting at Newton Abbot and continue to Gunnislake all shacks. If coupling at Newton Abbot were an issued and same with Exeter, this service could terminate at Newton Abbot.
That much coupling and uncoupling would be a bit too much of a risk for performance I'd say, and little point for the 30 minutes Newton Abbot-Exeter. Would limit the length of Paignton trains as well, if they were coupling two another unit three carriages would be the maximum they could run at. Extending Gunnislake services to Newton Abbot is a good idea in principle, many of them used to, but cutting most back to Plymouth with HSTs picking up Ivybridge stops allowed an increase in the Newquay branch frequency. It would provide better services for Ivybridge. Of course it would require an extra unit to maintain current frequencies as well.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
St ives to go on all night

The trains in the evening are already very lightly loaded generally, can't see any later trains being viable, especially as it would require the opening of St Erth signal box later.

Ivo

Established Member
For the most part it works quite well. I would like to see a 30 frequency to both Paignton and Severn Beach (or at least Avonmouth) though.

Requeststop

Ok, we haven't had a fantasy thread for a while

I used to live down this way, and as I have used trains down there in the past, I thought of a few things.

Ideally this would fit round the few Bristol/Exeter to Penzance local services. This service would be the same frequency as the Gunnislake service. So when a Exeter to Penzance service operates.

This would then mean more intercity services could skip Totnes meaning faster journey times to London. Also with portion working along the Dawlish Sea Wall, another path would not be needed to be found over that section. It would also provide greater options for passengers.

What would you like to see improved in the Western Region Local Services

This would mean a service to/from Penzance would have to reverse at Plymouth? Please no - I hate it when a train has to reverse on it's journey - it means I have to change seats to face forward all the time. As much as I'd love the mid Dartmoor to be fully opened again.

Schnellzug

Established Member
Well, a proper regular interval Timetable on Bristol-Weymouth would be a start; and preferably worked by 158s (Perhaps once they're cascaded from Cardiff-Portsmouth by 180s). Also, this extending them to Gloster seems not really very useful, and can easily be a cause of Delay, so starting from Bristol T.M. would probably help with Punctuality.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Perhaps extending the Newquay branch services to St Austell to allow a reduction in the HST stopping frequency at Par?

Or even running the current Plymouth terminating HST to Newquay with the unit that runs the other services on the branch running a 1tp2h service Penzance-Newquay to get it out of the way..

Rugd1022

Hmmm, the words 'fantasy' and 'Western Region' in one fell swoop.... surely the only honourable answer to such a question is to go the whole hog and bring back the mighty Hydraulics and have done with it?!!!

Close your eyes and imagine how it used to be on a daily basis west of Exeter.... Westerns, Warships, NBL 22s and the odd Hymek all on Mk1 stock working turn and turn about on the various locals.... bliss!

;)

TEW

Established Member
For the most part it works quite well. I would like to see a 30 frequency to both Paignton and Severn Beach (or at least Avonmouth) though.

Half hourly frequency to Paignton is planned, with an additional St James Park-Paignton service. Problem with the Severn Beach line would be the single track.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also, this extending them to Gloster seems not really very useful, and can easily be a cause of Delay, so starting from Bristol T.M. would probably help with Punctuality.
Extending to/from Gloucester, Worcester and Great Malvern is not really for the through journey opportunities it provides but more of an operating convenience. Bristol Temple Meads couldn't cope if suddenly loads more trains were terminating there, it isn't really designed for lots of terminating trains.

NLC1072

Hmmm, the words 'fantasy' and 'Western Region' in one fell swoop.... surely the only honourable answer to such a question is to go the whole hog and bring back the mighty Hydraulics and have done with it?!!!

Close your eyes and imagine how it used to be on a daily basis west of Exeter.... Westerns, Warships, NBL 22s and the odd Hymek all on Mk1 stock working turn and turn about on the various locals.... bliss!

;)

Open up the old southern region sea wall avoider route and operate trains both routes...

DaveHarries

Established Member
Well, a proper regular interval Timetable on Bristol-Weymouth would be a start; and preferably worked by 158s (Perhaps once they're cascaded from Cardiff-Portsmouth by 180s). Also, this extending them to Gloster seems not really very useful, and can easily be a cause of Delay, so starting from Bristol T.M. would probably help with Punctuality.

Class 158s are good on the Severn Beach route: we do get them on that line from time to time and I find them a smoother and more comfy ride than the 150s currently used. The question is whether 158s will be cascaded from the Cardiff - Portsmouth by 180s.

Half hourly frequency to Paignton is planned, with an additional St James Park-Paignton service. Problem with the Severn Beach line would be the single track.
Interesting about the half-hourly service to Paignton. Presumably stick it in the sidings up by Exmouth Junction inbetween journeys.

As for the Severn Beach line, have you heard of something called SimSig? I coined a fantasy TT for the Severn Beach line that someone converted to a playable TT. Good fun.

The fantasy TT works by imagining that the Portishead line is back open and also imagining that the line from Hallen Marsh Junction to Filton West Junction has been upgraded for regular passenger traffic. This gives a train TT which is, in summary, as follows:

Mondays to Saturdays:
- Trains every 30 minutes throughout the day between Bristol Temple Meads and St. Andrews Road, using the crossing loops at Clifton Down and Avonmouth.

- One service running between Severn Beach, Avonmouth, Bristol TM and Portishead. Hourly daytime frequency throughout with one train every 90 minutes in the evenings.

- One service running between Bristol Parkway, Filton Abbeywood, Avonmouth and Bristol TM. Hourly daytime frequency, no evening service.

Works quite well but there are a couple of tweaks being made before the TT is made available for public download in the relevant section of the SimSig website. Also complications involving the train code that are currently being fixed too as at present the code has to be changed at Avonmouth before the train goes through to Filton AW and Bristol Parkway.

Dave

anthony263

Established Member
Maybe there may be a few class 158's released by scotrail in 2015 although there are likely to be a few operators pusshing to get hold of some.

Ivo

Established Member
Problem with the Severn Beach line would be the single track.

It is possible, but difficult. The main problem is the justification for extending every journey to Severn Beach; is it worth it? If not, a 30 frequency wouldn't work unless trains were stabled for needlessly long periods at Avonmouth or a shuttle existed between the two.

TEW

Established Member
Class 158s are good on the Severn Beach route: we do get them on that line from time to time and I find them a smoother and more comfy ride than the 150s currently used. The question is whether 158s will be cascaded from the Cardiff - Portsmouth by 180s.
Hopefully any 158s freed up won't be put on the Severn Beach line, they are completely the wrong stock. 150s are much better because of the wider doors allowing quicker boarding. Any 158s available should release 150s off longer distance workings to Weymouth and Penzance where 158s are more suited.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
High Speed line from Bristol to Newquay and Penzance...... one hour Newquay-Bristol.

Zerothebrake!

Pure fantasy I know..but just now and then have a Class 1 express passenger train be regulated to run in front of late running FGW Class services (1, 2 & 5's),Tampers & Freight trains between Bristol TM/Taunton, Exeter/Newton Abbot and Plymouth/Penzance! (places book down the back of trousers..).

KA4C

Perhaps extending the Newquay branch services to St Austell to allow a reduction in the HST stopping frequency at Par?.

What about all of the Par, Penzance, Plymouth and St Blazey traincrew who are required to travel "pass" to and from Par

What about people from up country who want NQ trains, do they then change at SA and come back on themselves? takes long enough to get to NQ as it is

Status
Not open for further replies.