• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Western/Warship/Hymek engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin Smith

Could anyone out there clarify what the capacity of the Maybach MD type engines were in the Westerns/Warships/Hymeks ?
One source says that all Maybach MD engines had the same capacity per cylinder (like most diesel engine family names), another that they don`t.
The Westerns had 12cyl MD655 engines, the Warships 12cyl MD650 engines, and the Hymeks 16cyl MD870 engines.

One other point, the power of Warship engines is not consistently quoted.
Some sources quote 1000hp each, but "Westerns, Warships and Hymeks at work" (by Geoff Endacott), which I thought was the seminal work on the subject, quotes 1035hp for the first three, and 1135hp for the remainder of the Maybach engined locos. Which is right ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pinza55007

Hi

I am not sure if you mean cubic capacity or horsepower, so please bear with me.

I know that the Paxman Ventura Engines used in "Majestic" had total cubic capacity of 79 litres and were rated at around 1100hp - from which the Valenta was later developed.In the class 29 they were 1350hp.

The 12 cylinder Maybachs would have been around 1100 hp in the Warships from D803 onwards, and 1350-1375 in the Westerns.These would have been around 60-65 litre motors.

I'm not sure on the Hymeks as these were rated at 1750hp, but for a very short period of time some were rated at 1400hp and others at up to 1900hp for engine test purposes.

By way of comparison the cc of a GM 12 cylinder as used in the class 66 is around 140 litres, and the Crossley HSTV8 in the Metrovicks and the Mirrlees V-12 in the early class 31s would both have been around 150 litres.The English Electric motors were truly massive - maybe 240 litres for the class 40s(?)

I will double check the Maybach figures when I get home.

KR Pinza

Status
Not open for further replies.