• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Westerns at Swindon Scrap Yard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin Edwards

I'm a new member who has found his old note books from the 1970s and I would like to know if there are any other members who can help clarify which scrapped Westerns were at Swindon works yard on a couple of dates when I visited.
First visit was on 5th September 1976 which I think had been the scheduled open day which had then been cancelled. My younger brother and I managed to sneak in to the scrap yard via a gap under the fence but some of the locos seen remained unidentified in my note book and I'm hoping someone can help pin down which Westerns were in the scrap lines. I recorded 1012, 1016, 1025, 1057, 1064 (1062 was outside the works but for preservation). I would love to know the numbers of those I missed which would have been there that day.
I then visited with a group on 9th October 1977 where I recorded 1011, 1028 and I believe 1001? Again I know there were others there but not sure which ones.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scarby

Have you taken a look on Flickr?

Putting in a search such as Westerns Swindon 1976 (or 1977) reveals a lot of pictures of Westerns on the scrap lines - some with some very precise information as to the locos and dates.

If you have the time to fish through the pictures and the info you might be able to build up a fair picture of what was there when.

Some pics might even be on the days you said - and who knows, you might even turn up in one of them!

Robin Edwards

thanks scarby, that's exactly what I've been able to do thanks to images people have posted online.

Using known dates of when locos arrived at Swindon, their disposal dates and also using dates when there is photo-evidence of what was on view on specific dates, I've been able to show that on my first visit which was rushed because I was young and nervous of being caught bunking the yard/works, the following were there which I hadn't noted - 1003/1006/1030/1031/1035/1046/1047/1067
Two further locos had not arrived at the time of my first visit but had already been disposed of by my second which I never saw - 1068 & 1069

Robin Edwards

out of interest - does anyone know if an attempt has been made to map locomotives at different locations/positions around the works and yards on periodic dates?
For instance, from my OP, I believe these Westerns I saw were in a single line on 5th Sept 76 and this has been confirmed from photos found online - they were the first locos reached from the boundary fence at the rear of the scrapyard. I would love to know for instance where in relation to this line, D1003 was located? I was young at the time and was under strict instructions not to get caught and in any trouble so relucatntly didn't venture further to where more engines could have been identified.

Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member
I was young at the time and was under strict instructions not to get caught and in any trouble so relucatntly didn't venture further to where more engines could have been identified.

But it was okay to tresspass as long as you didnt get caught! :lol:

Oh, before anyone thinks I am 'being funny' I did my fair share of bunking depots back in the 80s/90s as well! ;)

Robin Edwards

Yes I was only thinking recently how things have changed. I managed to access virtually everywhere I went and in most cases I asked politely having found the office (via a few engines hopefully :) ) where I was usually granted permission. I don't think this would be possible now given the amount of trackside fencing and H&S - not necessarily a bad thing but also a shame. Swindon works would have been an exception and probbaly like other works, was only really accessible on open days or via tresspass! I always though that the worst that could ever happen at a shed was that I would be asked to leave. Do kids still visit these places given that there isn't a great deal to see compared to the diversity of the 1970s?
Anyone ever visited railways overseas and it's a stark difference - Poland in 1994 allowed me to go wherever I wanted and to even ride on the footplate.

455driver

Veteran Member
Re depot/works visits-
Do kids still visit these places given that there isn't a great deal to see compared to the diversity of the 1970s?

Arlington fleet services tried doing guided tours around Eastleigh but the inability of visitors to stay in the group and go wandering off into areas that were not open put paid to them very quickly.

thegrimeater

I did a tour of crown point, Norwich last year. The railway society my grandad runs organised 3 dates with the depot manager (I think that was his title) and he took groups of 10 or so round the depot, we visited the signal box and saw various units, carriages and locos undergoing work.

So it's not totally impossible to visit depots, I guess you've jsut got to ask!

thanks scarby, that's exactly what I've been able to do thanks to images people have posted online.

Using known dates of when locos arrived at Swindon, their disposal dates and also using dates when there is photo-evidence of what was on view on specific dates, I've been able to show that on my first visit which was rushed because I was young and nervous of being caught bunking the yard/works, the following were there which I hadn't noted - 1003/1006/1030/1031/1035/1046/1047/1067
Two further locos had not arrived at the time of my first visit but had already been disposed of by my second which I never saw - 1068 & 1069

I spent some time trying to scan the works yards with binoculars on 19th Oct 1976, although having seen all the Westerns I was more interested in 24s that might have crept into the works after dark.

In addition to all the ones you have listed, I have 1028, 1034, 1037 and 1043, but I have no idea where these were around the works area.

crosscity

But it was okay to tresspass as long as you didnt get caught! :lol:

You are right. I managed to get round loads of sheds in the early seventies (sometimes asking, sometimes not).

I thought my success in not getting booted out was because I looked confident. It was only recently that I realised that it was just accepted by railwaymen* working at the depot. No matter how confident I was, I looked like the teenage spotter I was - what possible official business reason could I have for being in an engine shed?

* - in all my visits I can't recall seeing one female railway worker.

Robin Edwards

You are right. I managed to get round loads of sheds in the early seventies (sometimes asking, sometimes not).

I recall some places fairly easy and I always tried to ask for permission although other places had a reputation for being harder to "do". I don't think I ever bunked CD or GD but never had any probs at TO, TI, CF, ED etc. Some shed managers used to ask me to report back before leaving so they knew I wasn't still there.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I spent some time trying to scan the works yards with binoculars on 19th Oct 1976, although having seen all the Westerns I was more interested in 24s that might have crept into the works after dark.

In addition to all the ones you have listed, I have 1028, 1034, 1037 and 1043, but I have no idea where these were around the works area.

Thanks Madge Wildfire for that. I vsiited with NREA on 1st Feb 1978 and the works held 1009/11/12/15/21/22/25/28/33/34/56/58/70/71 with Cabs only for 1001/1065

I wondering why I would have failed to record 1003 which I know was in the yard on 5/9/76? Does anyone know where this would have been in relation to the line 1012/1016/1025/1057/1064?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.