• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What a journey....

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Hi all,

Today (21/12/07), Voyagerdude220 [eventually] travelled to Holyhead :o

I started the morning off on ex-Wessex Trains 158872, for the short 15 minute hop from Blackburn to Preston, which I rather enjoyed, as the sun glistened over the pleasant scenery of Pleasington, and the early morning frost refused to clear.

A blue 87 & 3 royal mail 325's were seen running over the bridge just south of Preston, at 09:35.

I then changed to 390020, departing Preston at 09:49, for Euston. I really like using this train, as it wasn't very busy at all, and features the full breakfast menu. Even though I was only going as far as Crewe, I was offered and served a fresh bacon toastie which I ate straight after Warrington.

Do FC hosts on VWC stick to specific points to serve food on trains, to/from Preston, as I'd like to know how where/when I'd be served food on Pendos? (I thought it was only served south of Crewe and Rugby from Preston to Euston)

390046- 10:02 Wigan North Western to Lancaster.

At Crewe, I was in a very good mood after my trip so far, but it was to change very shortly after leaving the station, on 390047, being hauled by 57309, to Holyhead....

I said to The TM [Karen], that i'd like to upgrade to FC [i had a SVR], and I said that it will only be £15. She immediately said that I'd have to pay at least £100 [return], at which point I was flabbergasted. I stated that I was reffering to the Virgin Christmas FC upgrade, to which she responded is only available from tomorrow, and perhaps Monday next week.

She tried to charge me the FOS of £40-50, which I refused to pay. She then rang the Holyhead ticket office, which said that I was making the upgrade up.

At this point, I contemplated alighting at Chester, and returning to Blackburn, from which I would return all the way home. I walked to the shop, to get a complaint form, and as the RSM went to the TM's office for a form, Karen announced over the PA for me to go back to FC.

She said that she had phoned the VT control (Why hadn't she done that first, or at least before she kicked me out of FC?!?!?), and they told her that the promo had been removed from the VT site, and that she should honour it in this case. (I should think so too!!!)

She then tried to look on her avantix for the VWU, which she couldn't bloody find! She instead gave me a "VT2 GRPTVL BR", which is also priced at £15, and scribbled over it "FC upgrade, Tmanager".

390047 was in a rather bad state, with coach H's heating broken, and so it was empty, and similar to the inside of an empty freezer.

I had a Brie & Cranberry wrap on the way to Holyhead, but was told by a fellow traveller who had paid £300+ FOR Euston to Bangor, that the set had no eggs, and so he had Salmon & Bacon.. Low on[or no] water, so stodgy coffee.

They also had no Turkey and Bacon jacket potatoes, which I was very annoyed at, as I wanted something hot on the way back.

The FC hosts were very good, but the return TM [Lesley] was very rude to me at Chester, as I helped a customer with his reservation, and rudely interupted my conversation, with the words "Do you work here?" "I'm in charge of the train."

At Crewe, my 16:32 Pendo 390040, pulled in 5 late, and I luckily got on in coach K, where the TM was, and he honoured my upgrade back to Preston, even though the previous TM had messed it up, and it was from Crewe.

The FC hosts on the 09:49 ex Preston were one of the best teams I've seen, and they were the same people who were on the 16:32 ex Crewe. (I assume they arrived Euston at 12:26, and left 14:46)

We were delayed around Acton Bridge/Hartford, by sigi problems, and arrived Preston 17:29, taking only 10 minutes from Preston. 8-)

So it was a very pleasurable journey Blackburn-Preston-Crewe/Crewe-Preston, but Virgin Trains is getting a VERY big complaint from one disgruntled Voyager Dude 220, about the service I recieved from 2 of it's TM's.

Edit: Oh yeah, and Virgin, where were the Christmas mince pies??

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

devon_metro

Established Member
Simply shocking :roll:

I mean... they gave you a First Class upgrade you shouldn't have had, even if the did remove this fancy offer...

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I could/should have taken action against them if they didn't honour it, under the trade descriptions act, seeing that it was advertised on their website, and also in the VT guide to Christmas which must be floating around the odd station, as I found one on 390040.

So Liam, do you feel that the way the TMs treated me are excused by the upgrade being honoured?

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think the lesson of the story is don't go to Wales... ;)

But seriously, you should complain. The staff on trains seem to be getting ruder in my opinion, especially on the long distance TOCs. For example, last week travelling on NXEC, I was the first person at the buffet coming out of London. I asked about hot sandwiches, and was told they 'didn't have any'. To this I replied, 'that's a bit rubbish, we've only just left London!'. The guy then said that what I'd said was cheeky! Surely commenting that the lack of food was a bit rubbish was perfectly reasonable?! They also had no orange juice or minstrels, and they may have been sold out of other things too for all I know.

I went back later to get another drink, to find another member of the crew cooking a hot sandwich. I asked the original guy why he had told me that they had none, and he said that they had to offer them to first class passengers (a bit dubious really) and that had I not been 'cheeky' he would have told me the truth (very dubious!!).

Hopefully National Express will sort out this kind of attitude!

By the way Voyagerdude, are you ever going to tell the story of your ECML Hull Trains bash? I was rather looking forward to it :lol:

class 313

Established Member
Saying that, I've always found MML(EMT) Staff very friendly in all cases from buying/checking my ticket to buying a nice sandwich. VWC in some cases I've been in have been the worst but again have been great in others. GNER were nice as were ONE staff. Even had a great chat with the ONE guard about train enthusiasts and about trains in general...

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Hi Max,

Yeah, i totally forgot to send the story about my Hull Trains trip on here, but I accidently deleted all my saved draft messages on my phone on Thursday evening, which I use as my log book, so I'll have to look on my laptop, to see if they are still on there.

I can still tell you how the journey went however, i just need the HST numbers which I went down on. [i took a pic of the Pioneer's nameplate on my phone, so i can tell you which one it was]

As for NEX, it sounds strangely familiar, to stories which have been published about GNER.... I wonder why that could be..... ;)

tubenutter

The moral of the story is to stop being an arrogant **** and sometimes accept travel in standard class like everyone else.

richa2002

Established Member
The moral of the story is to stop being an arrogant **** and sometimes accept travel in standard class like everyone else.
Maybe he wants to appreciate rail travel and travel in a bit more 'luxury'? I don't know why people seem to have a bit of an attitude towards people who travel First Class.

T

Tom

IMHO first class passengers generally moan more than standard class passengers in experience...

nath9425

Maybe he wants to appreciate rail travel and travel in a bit more 'luxury'? I don't know why people seem to have a bit of an attitude towards people who travel First Class.

First class is a waste of time.

But I must say that was an interesting story, I have never had a VT Manager act to me like that before, but once he did start pulling faces infront of a lady to try and wake her up, He weren't aloud to touch her unless she sued - He then started "Wake Up Deary" :shock:

Everyone should be equal and shoved in a vestibule or standard class seat. :-x

class 313

Established Member
First class is a waste of time.

But I must say that was an interesting story, I have never had a VT Manager act to me like that before, but once he did start pulling faces infront of a lady to try and wake her up, He weren't aloud to touch her unless she sued - He then started "Wake Up Deary" :shock:

Everyone should be equal and shoved in a vestibule or standard class seat. :-x

Everyone is equal in standard class, but would you like to be treated the same after paying more? No. First Class is not a waste of time on long distance travel as you can relax more and not have to sit with people who don't usually sit in First Class. Though going First Class in every journey possible is a bit... Still doesn't mean First Class in general is a waste of time.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
To Tubenutter, Jord and Liam, you have NEVER met myself before, and you should never judge a book from its cover, although i've personally built up a very solid profile for Liam, judging by his previous posts.

Richard Armstrong, thanks for not falling into the trap whch others have, and you hit the nail on the head my friend.

I feel that certain members on this forum need to grow up, and act their age, not shoe size.

Status
Not open for further replies.