• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What a nice suprise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted this on Dave's forum but I thought I'd better sharw this with you too.

Just been talking with some friends oer MSN, five of us in one conversation.

Me thinking this lad is my best friend comes out with
'Luke w*nks over trains'
'not just any trains'
'tube trains, woooowwwwwwwwwwww'
'he should go get a f**king life or something'

I knew I never should share my enthusiasm with others, maybe I'll just stick to this forum from now on :(

So take care about telling people things kids.

Luke.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

I see AscendingHappily has made his first fourth post according to the post counter.

Met Driver

Established Member
I know how it feels, Luke! I too have heard the 'Seth w*nks over trains' crap many times. Most of 'em tend to shut up after a while, thankfully.

Simming

None of My friends know im a veg, and im keeping it that way! Although if any give me stick, ill just kick 'em. its worked before, and it will work again.

David

Established Member
Just ignore it. When you don't respond to it after a short while, people just accept it, and more often than not come to you for advice.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
When you're very young it doesn't cause a problem, but as a teenager it gets difficult due to "peer pressure". It suddenly becomes unacceptable to like trains, but really cool to like cars, for some reason (I think teens are influenced by the media who are generally anti-rail).

At primary school for me it wasn't an issue, and one of my friends went with me to places up to 25 miles away from home to watch trains. In hindsight, I think we were lucky that our parents let us do this. It really helped to make me independent.

But then I decided to not tell anyone, and to keep it seperate. Unfortunately my parents then started taking me more by car than by train, and I lost my enthusiasm for a while.

Since then I have met many other enthusiasts and lead a double life as a rail enthusiast. And just in time too, as many of the best trains, and the ones I remember from when I first got interested (thanks to my parents taking me to a railway bridge on the Chiltern line from the age of about 1 year old ;)) are now disappearing and I'm trying to travel on them while I still can.

Don't let them get in the way of your interests!

tramboy

I was told that at school, and then people accepted that they could get some use out of my interests by finding out the best ways and how to travel to their destinations.

It all stems from when i learnt to ride my bike...my dad would take me to the level crossing in town and we'd have to wait for some trains before we go back! Then on some trips up North we'd stop next to the ECML and wait for trains...the joys of HSTs, 91s in intercity livery!

Nowadays at uni most people know i like transport...perhaps given away by the odd poster in my room and N gauge trainset on my desk! Fortunately being on the same floor as "bluecont" on this forum helps...someone to enthuse with! And if we try hard enough we can always persuade a girl we know to go to the station too (if she's bored!)

Cheers

Dave

jonb

Established Member
Most of my close mates found out when I told them which I found to be the best idea. Then when my site appeared in the school magazine everyone knew and they were fine apart from a few pratts who were dealt with...

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I have told none of my school friends about my interest (except a few select people). However, when I was asked my interests by this girl I liked, I felt that I had to tell her. She was fine with it (but then again, her interest was finishing dot-to-dots, so she couldn't really say alot to me ;) )

To be honest, I think if I told people about my interest now, they know me so well that they would probably accept it. However, I can think of some people that could be less welcoming. I'd just ignore them, and they'd grow to accept it eventually, I'm sure of that.

Like Yorkie, I lost my younger interest in trains for a period of time. This was after my poor Grandad died; he had often taken me on days out by train, but after that, I only really went by car and rarely ventured into the station. However, it was meeting people on here that re-sparked my enthusiasm, and its great to meet people that share my interest. I didn't think I would find anybody else that liked trains when I was younger.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Personally my interest in the railway sector was only recently sparked by coincidently finding BVE on random search requests. I wish to be honest that I had started earlier as I wish I'd been able to seen the last days of class 58... but there you go. After joining a few forums, met a few people and went from there. People do accept it, I only told a mate the other day I wanted to be a train driver and we ended up having a right conversation on trains - amazing eh! There are few people who know I'm an enthusiast - I tend to keep it to a double act life!

Ben

if your friends are your friends they'll be friends whatever your hobbies are - i told my mates i liked and they couldnt give a toss

but being honest gets you better friends by finding out who cares

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
all my mates do, Im not ashamed of it and never will be, though ive had the same as hundreds have about words taking the p*ss out of my hobby, I just laugh and let them say what they wanna say, then all I so is 'lol so what?' they get easily bored cos they get the wrong reaction they wanted!

Coxster

Established Member
You will get witty comments, but if you can think of some to say about them, it all turns into a good augh rather than bullying.

Status
Not open for further replies.