• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What activity is there on the railway on Christmas Day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Springs Branch

Established Member
There are loads and loads and loads of people out working on the track
Someone once said if you choose a career as a railway OHLE engineer or technician it's one of those "Good News - Bad News" situations.
The good news is your speciality will continue to be in demand for the foreseeable future.
The bad news is you'll never, ever get to enjoy a Christmas (or Easter) with your friends & family.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Devonman2014

The line is shut from Cowley bridge jctn into St Davids (including level crossing) from 20:00 on the 24th to 08:00 on 27th.
Quite few engineers trains arriving in the area from 22:55 on the 24th so obviously track renewals happening.
Also new lengths of rail through platform 4 so possible station track renewal.

al78

Established Member
That isn't fifty hours...

Yes it is.

Midnight 24th to midnight 25th is 24 hours.
Midnight 25th to midnight 26th is 24 hours.
That is 48 hours. Add two hours puts you to 2am 26th, which is early am 26th, which sums up to 50 hours.

The original assertion is not true as I think there are rail services during the day on Christmas eve, as well as engineering work.

Class 170101

Established Member
There were services in Scotland on Christmas Day until the late 70s, but none on New Year's day, except Anglo Scottish. Now we have none on both.

Erm Unless you don't count Edinburgh to Kings Cross / Plymouth or Glasgow Central to Euston / Manchester?

NR won't give up the access on Christmas Day / Boxing Day unless forced to by DfT and franchise agreements so you can forget services like those that ran prior to the 1960s / 1970s.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Erm Unless you don't count Edinburgh to Kings Cross / Plymouth or Glasgow Central to Euston / Manchester?

NR won't give up the access on Christmas Day / Boxing Day unless forced to by DfT and franchise agreements so you can forget services like those that ran prior to the 1960s / 1970s.

It’s not so much the access, but the economics of running a TOC. If there was money in it, the TOCs would be asking to run services on Boxing Day. They generally aren’t, which suggests that someone would have to pay them - ie the DfT. The DfT don’t want to - if they did, the would!

apinnard

This is what some of Anglia is doing:.......

Planned Engineering Works and Events for Week Commencing: Monday 23/12/2019

Planned works affecting:

LST-Stansted Airport

Thursday 26th Dec

Stansted Express services will operate between Stansted Airport and Tottenham Hale only. Passengers for central London should use Victoria Line tube services from Tottenham Hale.

LST-Hertford East/Stansted/Cambridge

Friday 27th /Saturday 28th / Sunday 29th Dec

Due to track renewal work at Bethnal Green, two lines will be closed between Liverpool Street and Hackney Downs. All services will travel over the remaining open lines.As a result, Greater Anglia West Anglia and Stansted Express services will depart Liverpool Street several minutes earlier than the standard timetable as a result of the track capacity constraints.

LST-Colchester/Ipswich/Norwich

Friday 27th Dec

Due to overhead line power upgrade work between Stratford and Shenfield, only two of four lines will be in operation between these locations. As a result, journey times will be extended by up to ten minutes compared to a normal Friday service.

Additionally, due to the renewal of point work at Colchester, some lines will be shut through the station. A limited train service will therefore operate through Colchester.

Please see below all services that have been amended:

London Liverpool Street to Norwich services will run once per hour. Please note - these services will not stop at Colchester. Passengers for Colchester will need to change at Manningtree or Chelmsford for services forward to Colchester.

London Liverpool Street to Clacton-on-Sea services will run once per hour

London Liverpool Street to Ipswich services will run once per hour

London Liverpool Street to Witham services will run twice per hour

All Braintree trains will operate as a shuttle service between Witham and Braintree

All Marks Tey to Sudbury services have been re-timed

All Harwich trains will operate as a shuttle service between Harwich and Manningtree

All Colchester to Colchester Town and Walton-on-the-Naze services have been re-timed

LST-Southend/Southminster

Friday 27th Dec

Due to overhead line renewal work in the Wickford area, buses will replace trains between Shenfield and Southend Victoria, and between Wickford and Southminster all day.

LST-Southend/Southminster

Saturday 28th and Sunday 29th Dec

Due to overhead line renewal work in the Wickford area, and overhead power line upgrade work between Stratford and Shenfield, buses will replace trains between Southend Victoria and Newbury Park Central Line tube station all day. Additionally, buses will replace trains between Wickford and Southminster all day.

National Rail tickets will be accepted on the Central Line between Newbury Park and Stratford / London Liverpool Street.

LST-Colchester/Ipswich/Norwich and Branches

Saturday 28th and Sunday 29th Dec

Due to overhead line power upgrade work between Stratford and Ingatestone, all lines will be closed between these locations. Additionally, ue to the renewal of point work at Colchester, some lines will be shut through the station. A limited train service will therefore operate through Colchester.

As a result, the following alterations will apply:

Ipswich and Norwich services will operate to / from Ingatestone, with rail replacement buses operating between Ingatestone and Newbury Park Central Line tube station.

Clacton-on-Sea and Walton-on-the-Naze services will start from and terminate at Colchester; passengers travelling to / from London direction will need to change trains at Colchester.

Norwich to/from Ingatestone services are unable to call at Colchester due to short platforms, passengers for Colchester are advised to change trains at Manningtree or Witham.

National Rail tickets will be accepted on the Central Line between Newbury Park and Stratford / London Liverpool Street.

Running everything through the DGL and P1 at Colchester?

Gassy85

are there any major engineering jobs on Christmas Day this year?

I remember a few years ago a bridge was replaced somewhere in GWR country (near Chippenham or Cheltenham, I forget which). Demolition work began on Christmas Eve, after the last passenger train went through, and work continued non-stop until being completed in the early hours of the 27th, in time for the first train of the day.

About 20 years ago that now at Chippenham. Can remember Dad driving us there on Christmas Day to have a look. Was bigger than replacing a bridge. A new bypass was being built and the line at that location runs along a built up bank. So lines removed, part of the bank removed, bridge inserted, lines reinstated. Like you said, all between late Christmas Eve and early on the 27th!

Hellzapoppin

That was Holywell Road bridge. I remember being briefed on site with all the usual safety stuff and then being given lots of additional info, couldn’t see much point in being told that lot until I walked outside and then being asked loads of questions by the general public who had come down to have a look. I must have sounded very professional having all the answers off pat.I also remember that the contractor had arranged for us all to have Christmas lunch in the site canteen during our break. Hasn’t happened since I’m afraid.

infobleep

Veteran Member
There were certainly Boxing Day services - although I think they started later in the day than on normal days. There were also some relief trains on longer distance services in the afternoon of Boxing Day. It needs to be remembered that in the 1960s, most people had only about 15 days annual holiday, and if you visited relatives / friends over Christmas, you needed to be back at work on 27 December. Offices & factories closing for a full week between Christmas & New Year was unknown.
I once needed to be in work on 27 December, purely because I'd not booked it off as leave. I had to buy a full price single from my parents to work as although I think Southern, or was it Connex South Central, ran trains on 26th, South West Trains didn't so I couldn't get home. I also didn't drive or own a car.

I would have happily travelled on the 26th of course. Fair enough if the staff want a break but you'd think the TOCs might have relaxed the rules the next morning, so that people with Network Away Breaks, as they were then, could use them. It wasn't exactly a busy period.

infobleep

Veteran Member
The Farnham Road bridge in Guildford is having bridge strengthening works. As the line is closed between Woking and Haslemere and North Camp and Redhill, not to mention Guildford and Aldershot there must be other works being done too.

Anyone know what these might be? If the works was just at Guildford then Great Western Railway trains would resume at Shalford.

JN114

Established Member
The Farnham Road bridge in Guildford is having bridge strengthening works. As the line is closed between Woking and Haslemere and North Camp and Redhill, not to mention Guildford and Aldershot there must be other works being done too.

Anyone know what these might be? If the works was just at Guildford then Great Western Railway trains would resume at Shalford.

The infrastructure is available Shalford to Redhill. It’s a combination of factors that combine to thwart any attempts at running a shuttle service from Redhill to the point of obstruction - stabling arrangements at Redhill are still a mess following the ongoing temporary closure of Redhill loco sidings. Also, previous long blocks have seen the units tripped to Selhurst for light servicing, but mods made for them to work in the west have invalidated their gauge clearance for the route. The units can’t have full preps done in platforms at Redhill, and the block is longer than a full prep on the unit lasts; so they’d end up trapped at Redhill out of prep with nowhere to do it. Also while there is a small guards depot at Redhill, and standing arrangement is that Southern provide 2x drivers for N Downs services per day; the service is still predominantly crewed from Reading. With long taxi rides to/from Reading at start and ends of the diagrams it would be hideously inefficient driver-wise, especially when considering the Reading - Ash service still needs crewing. Individually the issues may not be insurmountable, but together it’s well into diminishing returns territory.

infobleep

Veteran Member
The infrastructure is available Shalford to Redhill. It’s a combination of factors that combine to thwart any attempts at running a shuttle service from Redhill to the point of obstruction - stabling arrangements at Redhill are still a mess following the ongoing temporary closure of Redhill loco sidings. Also, previous long blocks have seen the units tripped to Selhurst for light servicing, but mods made for them to work in the west have invalidated their gauge clearance for the route. The units can’t have full preps done in platforms at Redhill, and the block is longer than a full prep on the unit lasts; so they’d end up trapped at Redhill out of prep with nowhere to do it. Also while there is a small guards depot at Redhill, and standing arrangement is that Southern provide 2x drivers for N Downs services per day; the service is still predominantly crewed from Reading. With long taxi rides to/from Reading at start and ends of the diagrams it would be hideously inefficient driver-wise, especially when considering the Reading - Ash service still needs crewing. Individually the issues may not be insurmountable, but together it’s well into diminishing returns territory.
How interesting. I thought they had run some trains from Shalford this year but maybe it was just for the day.

Are they ever likely to be able to run trains west of Guildford in the future, when there is engineering works like this or it just not worth the cost, given how infrequently this occurs?

Darandio

Established Member
Yes it is.

That is 48 hours. Add two hours puts you to 2am 26th, which is early am 26th, which sums up to 50 hours.

The original assertion is not true as I think there are rail services during the day on Christmas eve, as well as engineering work.

Indeed there are plenty of services today, it seemed to me quite clear that the OP was talking about from late tonight until early Boxing Day which isn't 50 hours.

That's how I read it anyway.

flitwickbeds

Indeed there are plenty of services today, it seemed to me quite clear that the OP was talking about from late tonight until early Boxing Day which isn't 50 hours.

That's how I read it anyway.
Yes, also read as late on 24th to early on 26th which will barely be more than 30 hours.

I feel a typo was made and the OP was actually counting Christmas Day and Boxing Day, giving roughly 50 hours (actually a bit more) between, say, 10pm tonight and 5am on the 27th.

craigybagel

Established Member
The railway bridge over the River Teme just south of Ludlow was replaced across Xmas 2014. Trains were running up until about 2100 on Christmas Eve before a possession was taken, the old bridge was slid out, the already complete new bridge was slid in to position, and the line reopened a few days later. IIRC it was due to reopen with the rest of the line on the 27th, but there was a slight overrun and it didn't get completed on time.

It's also worth pointing out that at some places there will be drivers coming in to work on Christmas Day, to turn the engines over on diesel units if the temperature drops below a certain point. At my TOC at least this is done on a volunteer basis, with enhanced overtime offered in return

Harbon 1

There’s a few trains out of Toton Christmas evening. Apparently seven are getting ready to go out tonight, and then there’s the high output train as well. Very busy time of year for us freight lot, especially with the MML electrification.

Established Member
The line is shut from Cowley bridge jctn into St Davids (including level crossing) from 20:00 on the 24th to 08:00 on 27th.
Quite few engineers trains arriving in the area from 22:55 on the 24th so obviously track renewals happening.
Also new lengths of rail through platform 4 so possible station track renewal.
Platforms 4 and 5 being relaid.

scragend

Yes it is.

There are trains on Christmas Eve.

Hence I took "midnight 24th" to mean the end of the 24th, i.e. just after 11.59 pm tonight.
Add 24 hours on to that and that takes you to the end of the 25th.
To get to 2 am on the 26th you only add two further hours on. So that is 26 hours.

mpthomson

Lots of groundworks going on just south of York on the ECML all through Christmas and Boxing Days.

Stuart-h

Theres work happening at Peterborough over xmas. Im working xmas eve on a level crossing at Baintain green.

Trainfan2019

There's freight passing through Sheffield on Christmas Day according to Real Time Trains. Early morning and afternoon.

DelW

Established Member
How interesting. I thought they had run some trains from Shalford this year but maybe it was just for the day.

Are they ever likely to be able to run trains west of Guildford in the future, when there is engineering works like this or it just not worth the cost, given how infrequently this occurs?
It was certainly done on Sunday 17/11, though only 1tph. There were RRBs running between Shalford and North Camp, where they connected to an Ash - Reading shuttle service. I only travelled Guildford to Reading, but the bus (actually a coach) arrived at Guildford with a fairly full load of pax from Shalford. Fortunately some were getting off, otherwise I don't think there'd have been room for those waiting.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
The railway bridge over the River Teme just south of Ludlow was replaced across Xmas 2014. Trains were running up until about 2100 on Christmas Eve before a possession was taken, the old bridge was slid out, the already complete new bridge was slid in to position, and the line reopened a few days later. IIRC it was due to reopen with the rest of the line on the 27th, but there was a slight overrun and it didn't get completed on time.

Completion was delayed when the cranes employed to lift and slide the new bridge into position were restrained from working due to high winds affecting their stabilty. They dropped enough the next day for the job to be completed.

JN114

Established Member

Yes, but not requiring the trains to be outbased from Reading for more than 2 nights - which means it can be done inside a full prep window with a sufficiently early ECS back to Reading the morning it all hands back.

Over Christmas they’d need to be out from Christmas Eve to the early morning 28th - not possible.

Wirewiper

It’s not so much the access, but the economics of running a TOC. If there was money in it, the TOCs would be asking to run services on Boxing Day. They generally aren’t, which suggests that someone would have to pay them - ie the DfT. The DfT don’t want to - if they did, the would!

Chiltern Railways being an honourable exception here, operating their Boxing Day Oxford Parkway-London Marylebone service. I expect they would operate to/from Oxford itself if GWR were not responsible for running the station. Merseyrail also have a limited Boxing Day service, as does Scotrail around Glasgow (although no service to/from Edinburgh which I am sure would attract sufficient custom).

Otherwise, it seems that National Express, Scottish Citylink and Megabus coaches are able to cope with the limited demand for inter-city travel in the UK on 25th and 26th December.

Glenn1969

Established Member
Northern are running trains Bradford FS- Guiseley-Ilkley, Bradford FS- Keighley- Skipton and Salford Crescent- Bolton on Boxing Day. First time I can recall trains running up here on Boxing Day and I'm 50 !

The Planner

Veteran Member
Chiltern Railways being an honourable exception here, operating their Boxing Day Oxford Parkway-London Marylebone service. I expect they would operate to/from Oxford itself if GWR were not responsible for running the station.
Bunged lots of cash from Bicester Village to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.