• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What are the best and worst bus operators in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I'm not certain about a 'massive waste of money' you can pick up a 'BUS' registration for less than £300

Exactly. This tired line about the cost of private registrations has been explained before and disproven. Plenty of firms have done it before and for many reasons.

Jim Stones of Leigh have a superb fleet, high standards, invest regularly and a set of private plates that they place on the vehicles in their fleet, like BUS 1T

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PCL Travel based in Northumberland gets my nomination for worst bus operator, a few examples are:

- Running buses with no tax or MOT
- Buses not showing up
- not running services when they are supposed to
- drivers being rude to passengers (swearing)
- drivers parking buses overnight in lay-bys or even outside their own homes
- not running on allocated routes (I waited for one for half an hour in Corbridge as it was due to go through Hill Street and didn’t appear as driver took a different route)
- departing earlier than the advertised time on the timetable, 10 minutes or more from what I’ve heard people say.

They have lost some services to another company, Glen Valley Tours which started today and I have no doubt they will lose more if they carry on like this.

Andyh82

Established Member
I don't think most passengers look at reg numbers. It is probably only a very tiny percentage that do. It is really only bus enthusiasts that will look at the reg numbers. In fact most people who don't drive (and even some who do drive) don't even understand reg numbers and wouldn't have a clue what the numbers and letters meant anyway.
I think most people understand registrations especially the ones issued in the first half of the year.

People are also quick to call out an old bus, so a refurbished mid life bus would be written off as ‘it’s still an old bus’, but stick a private plate on and they are no wiser. Buses are meant to last a long time but many base the age on what they’d expect from a car.

Typhoon

Established Member
Jim Stones of Leigh have a superb fleet, high standards, invest regularly and a set of private plates that they place on the vehicles in their fleet, like BUS 1T
Not a fleet (or area) I know but the website http://jimstonescoaches.com/history/ provides a justification for the use of personalised plates which others might find interesting -
Our number plates are another feature of our company. They are well known throughout the Leigh area, and bring a smile to many people’s faces. In 1990, we purchased our first personalised number plate “H1 JYM”, from the DVLA. They have become a talking point, and a witty way of promoting our company. Since then, we have bought many more, including “B1 BUS”, “BUS 1N”, “T1 KET”, “BUS 1S” and “BUS 1T” (which is Jim’s favourite). They are used as part of the ‘advertising’ on the buses, some of which can be seen on this site.
That and
Following on from our much enjoyed themed Christmas Cards, in 2018 we released our first Christmas video.
would lead me to think there is not much chance of this company having 90% grumpy drivers.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
One of the local coach operators (Maynes, Buckie) has used "cherished" plates for some time now. Most use the "GSM" combination, but others have been used in the past, including "BCK", which is/was? the prefix that was displayed on Buckie-registered fishing boats.

Fleet list is here: http://www.maynes.co.uk/fleet-list/

Jordan Adam

Established Member
One of the local coach operators (Maynes, Buckie) has used "cherished" plates for some time now. Most use the "GSM" combination, but others have been used in the past, including "BCK", which is/was? the prefix that was displayed on Buckie-registered fishing boats.

Fleet list is here: http://www.maynes.co.uk/fleet-list/

On the topic of Maynes... Fantastic company! Simpson's who are based just along the coast at Rosehearty are also superb. I'll throw Alan & Black's in there too. Probably the best 3 coach hire firms in the area.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I am still surprised at all the negatively about Arriva from others. Maybe i have just been lucky but i use them all the time and have found them to be excellent. Personally i don't think they are anywhere near as bad as many people say. I have always been very happy with Arriva.

Was in the car yesterday and was thinking about this....whilst driving around the southern side of the M25. Thinking of how Arriva have transformed the former London & Country and Guildford & West Surrey operations. Now, it's always difficult to absolutely nail things down with some of the TfL stuff and consolidating ops but (and correct me I'm wrong)...

Arriva inherited the operations from British Bus (though Cowie Group also had the old South London ex LT operations) and since then, Arriva have closed the depots at Cranleigh, Woking, Leatherhead, Merstham, and Croydon and sold the operations at Crawley and Warnham to those evildoers at Go Ahead so that the only depot left hanging on is Guildford. The last one is also now under threat, having lost the right to serve the university campus to Stagecoach. Also, I seem to recall that Arriva and Safeguard agreed to withdraw services to their own respective areas, and that this arrangement was ended unilaterally by Arriva introducing competitive services. Now they're trying to renegotiate the drivers terms and conditions of employment (just as well it's a cheap area to live) in order to make the depot sustainable.

If this were a First OpCo, they'd be all manner of posts berating the management.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
PCL Travel based in Northumberland gets my nomination for worst bus operator, a few examples are:

- Running buses with no tax or MOT
- Buses not showing up
- not running services when they are supposed to
- drivers being rude to passengers (swearing)
- drivers parking buses overnight in lay-bys or even outside their own homes
- not running on allocated routes (I waited for one for half an hour in Corbridge as it was due to go through Hill Street and didn’t appear as driver took a different route)
- departing earlier than the advertised time on the timetable, 10 minutes or more from what I’ve heard people say.

They have lost some services to another company, Glen Valley Tours which started today and I have no doubt they will lose more if they carry on like this.

Quite an accusation. Have they been up in front of the TC?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
First York - I cannot actually find anything nice to say about them. Their network has been chipped away more and more recently with services having frequencies cut and the fares continually rise at an insane level. But their fleet. I don't know where to start. Incredibly old, tired looking, badly presented and their interiors - does anyone who runs that network see inside the buses? They're so tired and dingy - seat covers that probably haven't been replaced since 2001 and dirty grimy windows.

Transdev Blazefield - their new vehicles are generally really good and their new Coastliner vehicles are some of the most comfortable I've ever been on. But I just can't stand how the company is operated any more. It's a giant load of PR - "amazing" this, "amazing" that, ignoring and blocking anyone who dares criticise them, and their reliability has really gone down recently. The Coastliner used to run like clockwork but so many journeys have been cancelled recently due to "technical issues".

In terms of Transdev, there's obviously fair criticism and they shouldn't be blocking people for pointing out problems. The level of "amazingness" is a bit cloying and the self promotion of Alex Hornby a little tiresome. Firms should be pushing out positive PR messages (rather than go all Uriah Heep - very 'umble, Sir) and there's a lot that Transdev (and other firms) do that they should be positive about. That's not to say that you have to be perfect. Things go wrong and indeed, no firm is immune from making a false move; the Manchester CityZap seemed like a very odd move and wasn't a shock when it got pulled. This antipathy to Hornby seems that this overshadows everything for some people, extending to people criticising them on this board who haven't travelled on them - that seems equally unfair on any firm, not just Transdev. I lived in Burton on Trent a while back and so had the choice of Arriva or trentbarton. TB might not have been perfect, they weren't always "really good" but more often than not, they were and were so much better than the local selection of Arriva sheds!

I did have a little trip from Pickering to Whitby in mid 2017 and have to say that the B5TLs were really quite nice - not amazing but certainly better than travelling on First Streetdecks over the Mendips! Day ticket prices locally do seem a little strong though.

As for First York, I know what you mean. The other half's brother lives in Woodthorpe so we get the 4 into town. Since the daft FTRs, it's been a motley collection of B7Ls, B7RLEs, B7TLs and even Daf HEVs. The only modern fleet are the electric Versas and the rest is just so old. The B7Ls are especially awful and tired but even a smartening up of the B7RLEs is desperately needed. It's an operation that would really benefit from a visit from Best Impressions and some business with Thorntons

Andyh82

Established Member
Transdev does receive an undue amount of coverage here, considering the entire operation is no more than about 500 buses. People are obviously jumping on the bandwagon.

I do find it odd though where one minute we have people constantly wanting to find fault with them as if to get one over on them, and then the next minute berating the likes of First who when it comes to PR are the complete opposite and just sleepwalk into failure. Make your mind up which type of business you prefer!

The problem with First York is that they received a new fleet in 2001,and that was during an era of First that specified very poor interiors, anything from that era feels much older than they actually are and have done for years. Those plastic seats with the thin seat cushions. That’s why nationwide their ALX400s have felt like old sheds for many a year whereas a Stagecoach one would still have been fairly decent.

Quite an accusation. Have they been up in front of the TC?

Here’s one of their vehicles, listed as having no MOT. They have been to court lately and had sanctions placed resulting in losing some contracts.

Attachments

• D0C5A7BB-1D30-47F6-8D81-2839D1432E6E.png
    D0C5A7BB-1D30-47F6-8D81-2839D1432E6E.png
    561.7 KB · Views: 30

carlberry

Established Member
Here’s one of their vehicles, listed as having no MOT. They have been to court lately and had sanctions placed resulting in losing some contracts.
If you've seen the vehicle on the road then you can contact the relevant authorities (DVLA and whatever VOSA are called nowadays) however I don't know how they could have taxed it without an MOT.

jammy36

That MOT expired almost 3 years ago...

A note of caution - DVLA mot data for class VI vehicles isn’t always accurate. I think it depends on which testing station carried out the test and whether a 'digital' certificate was issued. Although showing as MOT test expired, it is possible that more recent tests have been carried out, but have not been entered onto the digital test database and thus do not appear in the search.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
A note of caution - DVLA mot data for class VI vehicles isn’t always accurate. I think it depends on which testing station carried out the test and whether a 'digital' certificate was issued. Although showing as MOT test expired, it is possible that more recent tests have been carried out, but have not been entered onto the digital test database and thus do not appear in the search.

Seconded!

Stagecoach here had a B10M in service until recently which if you trust what the DVLA site states, hadn't had a MOT since June 2010. Interestingly this would have also been around the time it First came off the road.

The vehicle in question being P569MSX, it was converted to a driver trainer in 2008, withdrawn in 2010, listed for disposal and didn't move much for almost a year, before being reinstated in to a school bus, to make things even more astonishing it was reinstated as a full service bus in 2014 and remained in full public service until June 2018. Must be one of the few buses to have been a Driver Trainer (in full livery), school bus, almost scrapped, then reinstated as a full service bus. I've put links to some images below.

As a Driver trainer in 2009: https://www.flickr.com/photos/35114850@N08/8292994171/
As a School Bus in 2013: https://www.flickr.com/photos/thejamster/9473360133
At the start of 2018 in her final months: https://www.flickr.com/photos/busmanscotland/41078785605/

She's currently sat SORN at Inverness depot, so it will be interesting to see if she defies odds again!

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
In terms of Transdev, there's obviously fair criticism and they shouldn't be blocking people for pointing out problems. The level of "amazingness" is a bit cloying and the self promotion of Alex Hornby a little tiresome. Firms should be pushing out positive PR messages (rather than go all Uriah Heep - very 'umble, Sir) and there's a lot that Transdev (and other firms) do that they should be positive about.

Alex Hornby has always been all about how amazing Alex Hornby is. There's no truck with anyone who doesn't agree with how amazing Alex Hornby is. And if someone dares to compete with Alex Hornby then the gloves come off. Look at YourBus, lomg before Connexions.

Truthfully Transdev Blazefield are still good, but they're not a patch on what they were ten years ago under Giles Fearnley. Alex Hornby has turned an excellent operation into merely a good one. It's not that much to shout about.

As for the OP's question, I don't think you can separate it down to the overall owner, as you know. Some operations from all the national companies are good, some are mediocre and some are terrible. Heck, it even varies by depot within the same operation.

Stagecoach have a good national reputation but are insipid in the north east, but even in Newcastle the Walkergate depot is noticeably worse than the Slatyford depot. Go-Ahead have a better north east reputation but some of their other operations are terrible (hello Carousel). I never had a huge issue with Arriva in Hemel Hempstead, other than the geriatric fleet, but over in Luton they were awful.

Established Member
I haven't travelled widely on buses all over the country so I can't really say what's good and bad, except that the companies serving my two bases are polar opposites!

I've found Trentbarton to be very good - reliable, clean, friendly drivers, evening services and, for off-peak/weekend travel, cheap (a return journey to Derby hits the Mango cap, so anything on from there - Red Arrow to Nottingham, sixes to Bakewell, Comet to Chesterfield, etc. - is effectively free!). I can see the point about all the different route liveries being confusing, but I've never had any problem. However, I don't think they help themselves by including services like Derby Skylink on their website - it's not one of their services and Mango isn't valid, but you wouldn't know unless you read the small print or get on the bus and try it! Incidentally, my local service has lost its 'villager' branding and is now just plain V3.
There was talk of the V3 merging with the Harlequin but that has sort of died off now unless they are waiting for room in the paint shop as the swift is currently being refreshed at the moment.

Got the villager home tonight which was a little bit of a experience in a good way. After the bus disappearing of the board at the bus station a team leader person came over to say that the buses has been held up in Burton with roadworks and traffic because the A38 was closed and the next bus was just leaving Burton which is around 75 minuets away and around 90 minuets late and he was looking to get a extra bus and driver so we could be on our way. After around 20 minuets a spare bus and driver was found and made a short trip to the outskirts of Burton in which everyone was allowed on for free and the driver was very apologetic for the delay and made sure everyone knew what was going on. Overall a great bit of customer service to ensure people knew what was going on and trying to keep people moving as quickly as possible.

Andyh82

Established Member
Alex Hornby has always been all about how amazing Alex Hornby is. There's no truck with anyone who doesn't agree with how amazing Alex Hornby is. And if someone dares to compete with Alex Hornby then the gloves come off. Look at YourBus, lomg before Connexions.

Truthfully Transdev Blazefield are still good, but they're not a patch on what they were ten years ago under Giles Fearnley. Alex Hornby has turned an excellent operation into merely a good one. It's not that much to shout about.
You’ve changed history there a bit.

The Transdev pre Hornby era wasn’t great and many of the elements from the Blazefield era were starting to be eroded. The corporate image was very stuffy and it replaced the Blazefield branding.

Imagine if Hornby had been in charge during the ‘Spot On’ era of Lancashire United for example, scrapping the BBT name, withdrawing service after service and which eventually resulted in yellow Leyland Olympians going back into all day service. Or the usage of Keighley H reg Leyland Olympians on Coastliner one summer.

Regarding competition, I’m assuming Stagecoach and others just let newcomers come into their patch and take market share, without competing in anyway? What has Hornby done that Stagecoach wouldn’t do?

Last edited:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
The Transdev pre Hornby era wasn’t great and many of the elements from the Blazefield era were starting to be eroded.

It was better than it is now. Keighley and District certainly aren't what they were, even post-Fearnley Transdev era.

Regarding competition, I’m assuming Stagecoach and others just let newcomers come into their patch and take market share, without competing in anyway? What has Hornby done that Stagecoach wouldn’t do?

I'm not sure "Hornby is no worse than Brian Souter" is exactly a ringing endorsement :lol:

Ex24Driver

Following on from my posts on the First thread about the sale of First Manchester where i stated my dislike for Go Ahead i thought i would start this thread.

What has always really surprised me is that the bus operators who keep getting all this praise and all these awards are the bus operators who i have found to be the worst bus operators i have travelled on.

In my personal opinion these are the worst bus operators i have used in the UK (and i have used all of them multiple times):

Just been reading this over the last few days and User1234 seems a bit confused about the state of the modern bus industry, so let's look at it.
Reading Bus's happen to have reversed the passenger loss in their area that be devilled both Thames Valley and Alder Valley, yes maybe you don't like their network or how they operate but here is the rub.
Their market is people in their operating area, if they back up that with adequate flag information that shows route numbers or branding, up to date timetables on their bus stop posts or shelters, a good website that if possible includes fare charts or zonal maps where flat fares or exact fares are in operation and good publicity for service revisions the rest is academic.
The fact they do exact fare suits them it brings benefits to the drivers as the print out at the end of each turn will enable them to complete a waybill faster and allows the company a greater insight into the cash/cashless fares breakdown.
The industry is out to make a profit, bottom line you do not run a bus service to make a loss, the exceptions are community or tendered services which are "de minimis" provisions by nature and for social necessity.
The fact that their policies do not suit you is not of concern to them, they have their market which judging by statistics for bus usage they are serving very well.

Route branding is designed to give a strong feel to a service or a group of services, the promotion of that group is based upon identification as service numbers can be awkward to people with visual impairment, I recall the change over from white on black blinds when they attempted to find alternative solutions so that the blinds which were always skew wift and dirty could be read with greater ease.

You use bright colours in order to make that bus easier to spot and yes the arguments over non branded vehicles on branded services has been going on as long as vehicles have displayed route branding, conversely you get branded vehicles on ordinary services where operational need over rides the normal "we don't use that vehicle on this service" criteria.
It is not a waste of money, it makes commercial sense because companies like Best Impressions charge a serious amount of cash for that style of route promotion and operators believe it works, but more importantly they pay for it because it does work as the branding creates an image that sells when backed by heavy promotion.

That leads me into the final point your complaints over the use of dateless marks, sorry but that is totally irrelevant, operators use them for 101 reasons from disguising the age of a vehicle used for private hire in a marketplace where people just on a vehicle's immediate age over it's condition, and believe me I've seen some dogs after heavy use when the vehicle is only several years old.
An operator who has immaculate vehicles may use a dateless mark for that reason, and has been pointed out some local operators have used them to signify pride as paying out for a new vehicle for a small operator is a big step thees days so why not make it special by applying a special registration. So when you think about the fact that it might be less than 0.5% of the vehicle's purchase price, it is a final step that makes it a statement to people, here we are and here we stay.

Truth is that enthusiast's sometimes get caught up in believing that the industry is created for their express enjoyment, no it is not, it is there to serve the public by providing a timetabled service that is affordable to it's users and which meets the standards laid down in law for the operation of PCV's. What we make thing or wish for is of no consequence to the managers or owners of such an operation and I can well understand why colleagues of mine did not discuss if they maintained an interest in bus preservation, etc for feat of being ridiculed by their workmates, a lot of whom had no time for part time know it all bus enthusiast's with no actual experience of working within the industry.

CODE02

I can't believe for a fact you can say arriva are good in Hertfordshire they have a shortage of driver buses are also in a right state buses are just repainted to look nice & on Sundays don't care if they don't have a driver they will just cut runs coming from another company I felt useless when a service was cut due to no driver & Arriva quite clearly told an elderly person "Im sorry you need to find alternative transport as we have no driver due to a driver shortage" utterly disgusting

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Truth is that enthusiast's sometimes get caught up in believing that the industry is created for their express enjoyment, no it is not, it is there to serve the public by providing a timetabled service that is affordable to it's users and which meets the standards laid down in law for the operation of PCV's. What we make thing or wish for is of no consequence to the managers or owners of such an operation and I can well understand why colleagues of mine did not discuss if they maintained an interest in bus preservation, etc for feat of being ridiculed by their workmates, a lot of whom had no time for part time know it all bus enthusiast's with no actual experience of working within the industry.

That hits the nail on the head. It's a business and if enthusiasts understood the pressures and realities of life, they wouldn't come out with half the stuff that is peddled.

It was better than it is now. Keighley and District certainly aren't what they were, even post-Fearnley Transdev era.

I'm not sure "Hornby is no worse than Brian Souter" is exactly a ringing endorsement :lol:

Perhaps this is the issue with Transdev. The issues with Hornby overshadow or taint the perception. Is Transdev as good (or amazing) as they continually purport? No. Are they better than the industry average? Undoubtedly yes.

We shouldn't let the views of the person, in any way, get in the way of reality.

As for Transdev (or any bus company) protecting their patch, think about it. Were it YOUR company, what you YOU do? Sit back and let someone else eat your lunch?

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Perhaps this is the issue with Transdev. The issues with Hornby overshadow or taint the perception. Is Transdev as good (or amazing) as they continually purport? No. Are they better than the industry average? Undoubtedly yes.

I'd agree. They were truly excellent, noticeably much much better than the other operators in the same area. Even when First were trying hard, with the Sovereign brand and Overground colour coding, Blazefield were noticably a couple of steps higher. But they were confident but understated about it too.

The truth is they're still good but the standard doesnt match the hyperbole. And the hyperbole is coming from Hornby, just as it did at Trent Barton.

As for Transdev (or any bus company) protecting their patch, think about it. Were it YOUR company, what you YOU do? Sit back and let someone else eat your lunch?

There's protecting your patch and then there's the snide tricks Trent Barton played on YourBus, the same snide tricks now being played against Connexions. Things like the timetable holders or the games being played at Harrogate bus station. Blazefield are good enough to be beyond it, it's just grubby.

Ex24Driver

That hits the nail on the head. It's a business and if enthusiasts understood the pressures and realities of life, they wouldn't come out with half the stuff that is peddled.

We shouldn't let the views of the person, in any way, get in the way of reality.

I think that the issue with with Transdev has become like that with Michael O'Leary and Ryanair, he has been a good manager with good ideas and that has bred some contempt for his critics in that "I've proved myself so what about you?"
But when people stop listening to the critics then they lose sight of the one fundamental point that powers all bus management, you are only as good as the last journey you ran as an operator, plaudits are fine, but a good sound critique of a business is worth more.
I don't think comparing him to Sir Brian Souter is fair either, too big a difference in terms of management styles and also achievement levels within the bus industry as a whole exists to make that an accurate comparison.

As regards the bits about the tricks being done at Harrogate to deter competition, compared to the bad old days pre Road Traffic Act that is mild, even during the Dereg period there were far nastier tactics of spoilers run before the timetabled services of your competitors and the use of unbranded/plain white vehicles to confuse the traveling public as to who's bus you had actually boarded.
Revenue abstraction by means fair or foul has been a part of the business since the first horse drawn bus took to the road and protecting your patch has been done by every method legal or illegal for as long as well.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
compared to the bad old days pre Road Traffic Act that is mild, even during the Dereg period there were far nastier tactics of spoilers run before the timetabled services of your competitors and the use of unbranded/plain white vehicles to confuse the traveling public as to who's bus you had actually boarded.

Oh compared to the initial dereg period it is fairly tame, although the rules were tightened precisely because the bus companies behaved so abominably.

I don't particularly like either side in the Harrogate dispute, and in Nottingham Scott Dunn played a few tricks too.

But I really don't like dirty tricks in an arena which is SUPPOSED to be competitive. And bus wars always seem to follow Alex around like a bad smell.

I sympathise with the idea of protecting a patch but dereg got rid of the idea of patches. But the bus managers in the 80s made hundreds of millions through dereg, riches they'd have never made in the NBC or the municipals, and it's a bit rich to cash in on dereg and then moan at a bit of competition.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Oh compared to the initial dereg period it is fairly tame, although the rules were tightened precisely because the bus companies behaved so abominably.

I don't particularly like either side in the Harrogate dispute, and in Nottingham Scott Dunn played a few tricks too.

But I really don't like dirty tricks in an arena which is SUPPOSED to be competitive. And bus wars always seem to follow Alex around like a bad smell.

I sympathise with the idea of protecting a patch but dereg got rid of the idea of patches. But the bus managers in the 80s made hundreds of millions through dereg, riches they'd have never made in the NBC or the municipals, and it's a bit rich to cash in on dereg and then moan at a bit of competition.

The millions that bus managers made were as a consequence of privatisation not deregulation and, it should be noted, there were an awful lot of drivers in various firms who also made quite a sum of money too.

Appreciate the issues of business ethics but in terms of unfair competition, this is really at the lower end of things. Were it to be your business, you wouldn't respond?

Ex24Driver

The millions that bus managers made were as a consequence of privatisation not deregulation and, it should be noted, there were an awful lot of drivers in various firms who also made quite a sum of money too.

Appreciate the issues of business ethics but in terms of unfair competition, this is really at the lower end of things. Were it to be your business, you wouldn't respond?

You only have to look at how People's Provincial went from being the Arse end of H&D through privatisation and the subsequent employee ownership scheme under James Freeman to a good payout when First Group snaffled them up.

Truth is on responses if you want to see a real bus war in operation head down to Guildford at the moment where Arriva are trying to hold onto the Guildford and Woking area networks by applying pressure to the weaker of their two competitors through their decision to run services on the Bellfield Estate, where they have not been operating in several years.

It might not be Sheffield in it's intensity and that was a mess, but a town like Guildford cannot support the over bussing that is occurring with the resulting traffic congestion from corridors that are now running two times the normal service provision.

It is simple and it is about patches because when you take out the major traffic generator that is the town and its immediate commuting suburbs, the rural interlink network soon collapses as a long thin route rarely justifies investment commensurate with it's needs.

That was the joy with Blazefield, their Coastliner sevice bucked that trend by proving you could using good modern vehicles run such a service and more importantly make enough of a return to continue it's operation as an all year round provision without major service cuts during the winter months.

For Transdev it is the same if they loose the immediate suburban network of Harrogate then the longer and thinner routes will go, and they are in the business of running a bus network to make money, so they will do whatever is legal to protect that network.

SCH117X

Established Member
For Transdev it is the same if they loose the immediate suburban network of Harrogate then the longer and thinner routes will go, and they are in the business of running a bus network to make money, so they will do whatever is legal to protect that network.
Not much chance of them losing the suburban network; Connexions reduced their competition to Transdevs half hourly 6 to a hourly service Mon-Fri only (off-peak) and that with the 8 an hour Route 1 to a 20 minute interval on Saturdays. Connexions made much fuss over issues at the bus station but the answer lay in their own hands to retime services to make better use of the available stands - running the X6A and now withdrawn X6 at the same time as Transdevs 6 mean two stands have to be used for similar services while both operators share a stand on the Wetherby services which, subject to timekeeping, have a sensible separation. Most observers were of the view that Connexions simply were losing money and were looking for someone to blame when they withdrew the X4 and X6, reduced the X6A and X12 to Mon-Fri only (as a fill in for a school bus) and reduced Saturday workings on the X1.
Transdevs day ticket may be £4.60 but that is far cheaper than paying for a cross town journey involving a change of bus. Fares in North Yorkshire generally are high because of the pittance NYCC pay for ENCTS journeys and hence operators look to maximise revenue.

Surreyman

A little personal tale to tell from a few days ago (By the way my attitude to Transdev before my experience can best be described as neutral).
Had to catch the B3 from Hawarth to Hebden Bridge in order to get a train to Manchester Airport, waited at the stop 10 mins before, bus did not arrive, Not a happy bunny, 20 mins after scheduled time, A lady rushes over to tell me the bus has has a broken window, at that moment the B3 pulls up, I jump on cash in hand, Lady Driver - "It's alright love, no charge, we are running late" - I am transformed from disgruntled to delighted in 2 seconds! - never in my 60 odd years have I been given free travel due to late running, what a wonderful policy.
Compared to this experience, Arriva Surrey has a long way to go (preferably one way east, back down the M25 to Kent, taking their vehicles with them).

alex397

Established Member
I have travelled to quite a few places across the country, but I shall just talk about an area where I have used an operator more than once, the South/South East:

Best: Metrobus, Brighton & Hove, Southern Vectis (all of course Go-Ahead companies), Kent Coach Tours (a very small operator!), Ensignbus, Safeguard

Good: Stagecoach South East, Arriva Kent & Surrey (well, the Kent part!), Arriva Kent Thameside (this subsidiary does include the Essex operations, but I just mean the Kent part!), Regent Coaches, Nu-Venture, Go-Coach, Chalkwell, Big Lemon, Southdown PSV

OK: Hams Travel

Worst: Arriva (Harlow), Trustybus, First Essex

The operator I used most, Stagecoach South East, do a really good job, despite some recent cutbacks. I find most drivers really helpful and friendly (there are still some who have a questionable idea of customer service though!), the network is really comprehensive especially in East Kent, reliability is good (despite what locals say), generally clean vehicles, and operate fairly late (but not late enough on some routes). I wouldn't say they did an exceptional job though, but fairly close.

Status
Not open for further replies.