• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What changes would you make for the tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfie

Established Member
Firstly, new stations between Elephant & Castle and Lewisham:

• Walworth (junction of Camberwell Road and Albany Road)
  • Camberwell Green (Camberwell Green; where else? :lol:)
  • Peckham Rye (present station)
  • Queens Road Peckham (present station)
  • New Cross Gate (present station)
  • Deptford (present station)

Hum, not sure about these - Peckham Rye, Queens Road Peckham (and Denmark Hill) will be on the Overground extention from just before New Cross Gate to Clapham Junction scheduled to open in 2012. Is there the capacity? If so it would make sense to scrap your Camberwell Green and substitute Denmark Hill.

Given the volume of Overground traffic which runs through, or terminates at, New Cross Gate I remamin to be convinced that there is the capacity there. Additionally, given that the 2012 Overground extention carefully avoided that station (unsure if capacity or geography was the reason), I am unsure why you wish to use it - perhaps New Cross instead which rather sits in isolation as an unloved terminus on the Overground?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
There doesn't need to be capacity. The route would be underground until roughly halfway between Lewisham and Ladywell, where the existing alignment could be used to provide the portal section.

Regarding the four track Circle, I don't think it would be possible unless it was built at deep-level. How are you supposed to build laterally without potentially disturbing other buildings' foundations? Or avoiding the sewage tunnel (assuming it still exists) under Embankment? Or ensuring that you stay well clear of the river in the same area? The list goes on. I do like the idea; I just can't see it working. As for the Edgware Road idea, I do like the looks of it, but would still suggest keeping the existing connections (between Baker Street and Edgware Road) as a precaution; these seem to have been removed in the schematic.

Wolfie

Established Member
There doesn't need to be capacity. The route would be underground until roughly halfway between Lewisham and Ladywell, where the existing alignment could be used to provide the portal section.

But tunnelling through the London clay south of the river is an absolute pain in the rear-end and horribly expensive, which is why so little of it has been done! I know that this is "ideal world" territory but for any chance of it becoming reality there have to be cheaper ways of extending the Bakerloo than five or so miles of tunnel.....
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakerloo_line_extension_to_Camberwell

Option 3 works for me.....
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Option 2 is an non-starter given the Overground extensions.

Option 1 isn't a million miles from your suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.