• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What decade did you start work in? And how was it for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the connections and networks you need to succeed in a proper job wont be built, solely, by having a chat over a coffee break and neither will keeping yourself to yourself. Also, being very cynical, being good at your job isnt enough. You have to know how to play the game and sometimes go outside what you are comfortable with to succeed. It isnt like the olden days described above but it isnt a meritocracy. Don't think that doing a good job alone will help you succeed. It wont. Obviously it will help but performance alone wont deliver success.

Identify where you have some weaknesses and try to find a way to work on them and improve them. BTW You aren't bad at those things. You just might never have had a chance to show your skills or you may not know to improve or had access to tools to help you. A decent employer will help you with that because they will see the benefit of you doing a better job. There are some really good tools out there on the net to help with this kind of thing. Try something like Belbin or the personality colours test ( there are LOADS like this out there)

It is good that you are self reflecting. That is really helpful, I find, in identifying areas for improvement. If you drop the ball (and we all do) admit that and learn from it. Don't focus on the result but focus on what you have learned and what you will do differently next time. Don't look to blame others when you should be standing up and accepting responsibility. Be honest, open and truthful ( but learn when people cant be trusted) and manage expectations about delivering. Saying you cant meet a deadline early ( and why) is much better than saying at the last minute. I have found most people will support you in that if you can say why early.

Also, to get very management speak, know what you are responsible for and what you are accountable for. The two are very different. Don't let someone push their accountability onto you. Don't try to push your accountability onto someone else.

University or College education is superb. However, university wont prepare you for the real world so take a mindset that you know nothing and listen to people who do. However don't be sacred to ask questions ( i encourage it and there is no such thing as a stupid question) and when you are confident challenge them with: why? Why are you doing that?

Finally, as said above, keep all the cleaners, maintenance men, security guards, receptionists and secretaries sweet. They are surprisingly well informed and often influential people. At the bottom line they can make your life an absolute misery if they want to ;)

EDIT - that is a bit rambling but remember none of us knew any of this stuff before we started work and none of us know it all. Don't be scared to make your contribution. You have skills we don't. You have experiences we don't. That is the value we all have and we can all bring to work.

My job now is to argue with senior people like you and tell you things you don't like to hear. ;)

It wasn't rambly at all, it was very valuable information that I'd be wise to heed in the future.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
@coradiafan2000 - Thank you for your posts, a very interesting read! I think it is great a lad your age is capable of doing those jobs, and you come across as a lot more mature than a lot of people in your own age (and indeed older!).

I like the fact that you are not shy to say how you feel about certain jobs etc. and being able to identify and act upon your own weaknesses is a very helpful skill to have for yourself.

Keep up the good work, best of luck to you mate! :)

Killingworth

Established Member
We used to call that "having a jockey" and people doing it were universally hated. True, some got on but many others faltered when their "rising star" fell like a meteor!

I never found one to hitch to but noted others who did. They didn't stay long enough to get hated, nor necessarily liked, but seemed to progress nevertheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.