• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What does 'RDR' stand for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Longforgan

There are two types of signaller - 'resident' and 'relief'. The latter can be subdivided again into 'general purpose relief' (GPR) and 'rest day relief' (RDR). Resident signallers only work at one signalbox on a fixed shift pattern. Reliefs cover a number of signalboxes and also have a fixed pattern of nightshifts and dayshifts, but it is much more flexible about when and where they're required to work. I believe some areas in England call relief signallers "Flexi" for this reason.

I can only speak for my little bit of Scotland because all areas work slightly differently but as an RDR you'll cover the additional rest days of all the other signallers, which came in around 8 years ago as part of the 35 hour working week, and all their safety briefing days. You'll therefore need to learn to work a number of different signalboxes in the local area. In the Tayside area all the additional rest days are taken on the backshift therefore the RDR roster doesn't inclide any nighshifts and only a very limited number of Saturdays (no Sundays). However, the RDR roster is fixed with very little flexibility so you can plan your days off months in advance. The RDR is at the bottom of the pile for overtime so it isn't a job to take if you want to get rich. On days when there's no booked work you become spare and can be utilised as a GPR to cover whatever turns are required, and this can include nightshift if your other booked shifts either side allow.

GB

Established Member
Don't know if its changed in the last 10 years or its different it Scotland but flexi reliefs also get between 18-36% on top of their basic depending how much area they have to travel.

Longforgan

Flexibility premium is a national agreement as part of the JWP. RDRs in my area are on 12% because of the fixed nature of their roster. There are precious few GPRs on 36% round here either; they redrew the areas to save money but some of the more foolish ones who lost out still go to old haunts to "help out".

Status
Not open for further replies.