• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What does WAG stand for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class 92

It has always puzzled me!
So what does WAG mean?

Just to make it clear i'm on about the Arriva Trains Wales Premier service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anme

Established Member
I assumed it had its normal meaning of "Wives and Girlfriends". That's why I use the service in question.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Well according to google in welsh it is Llywodraeth (Cynulliad) Cymru - LCC doesn't make a great acronym either.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Well its formal title is the National Assembly for Wales but WAG sounds better than NAW

TotallyGravy

WAG was the abbreviation for "Welsh Assembly Government" - but it's out of date as that name was superseded during 2011. The executive branch of government in Wales is now known simply as the Welsh Government.

The National Assembly for Wales and the Welsh Government are not the same entity:
  • The National Assembly is the legislative branch - the lawmakers
  • The Welsh Government is the day-to-day executive.

The renaming from WAG to WG was partly intended to make that distinction clearer and reduce confusion around which body is responsible for what.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
TotallyGravy is correct. The use of the term WAG Express is just a hangover from the former name.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
The first few (at least two I think, but I'm not sure if anymore than that) refurbished ATW 158s were outshopped with "Welsh Assembly Government" logos. Then WAG decided to change their name and the next few had a gap where the stickers were supposed to be. They then started filling the gap with the new "Welsh Government" logos and changed the ones with WAG logos to "Welsh Government" ones (though I think I saw 158840, the first refurbed unit, with no logo at one point, so the WAG stickets came off a while before the new stickers were applied).

Status
Not open for further replies.