• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What drives you round the bend when using the train?

What annoys you on the train

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

richieb1971

Established Member
Don't know how many trains exist with windows near the seats anymore but i've been in a train where most windows are open and it was so loud.

The most obnoxious thing is when a group of people are laughing really loudly and when you tell them to please quieten down, they start laughing louder and then at you.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cool110

Which law would one be breaking?

That would be byelaw 7(1)
Except with written permission from an Operator no person on the railway shall, to the annoyance of any person:
(i) sing; or
(ii) use any instrument, article or equipment for the production or reproduction of sound.

trainophile

Established Member
Don't know how many trains exist with windows near the seats anymore but i've been in a train where most windows are open and it was so loud.

The most obnoxious thing is when a group of people are laughing really loudly and when you tell them to please quieten down, they start laughing louder and then at you.

Perhaps if you "ask" them to show a little consideration rather than "tell" them to....

Tooktook

On the train today sat in a virtually empty carriage. A man comes down and places tissues on the seat next to me and a card stating 'have no money, please give generously.' Then the awkward moment when he just stares when i decline to give any money.

trainophile

Established Member
On the train today sat in a virtually empty carriage. A man comes down and places tissues on the seat next to me and a card stating 'have no money, please give generously.' Then the awkward moment when he just stares when i decline to give any money.

I'm pretty sure that is a Bylaw offence, for a couple of reasons.

AM9

Veteran Member
That would be byelaw 7(1)

Well a byelaw is not highly illegal. It is a local railway rule which in extreme Practical circumstances could result in the perpetrator getting a warning. On the way to that the actions of the loud person would certainly come under some scrutiny.
Now please read back to the relevant postings where the situation was described by Cowley in post #142 as:

"Also noisy people talking too loud generally. Was on a train in the 90s trying to read while a fairly large Hyacinth Bucket type woman was having a very loud and boring conversation with the other people on her table, when this time someone else snapped and told her she was irritating everyone else in the carriage. The whole carriage applauded this and the woman looked like she was going to explode. It was hilarious."

Clearly, the person making the noise had no consideration for her fellow passengers. I doubt that these fellow passengers would undermine the opportunity to shut the noise up, so any attempt of the woman to run along to a conductor would be unlikely.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Passengers who have the sound on when playing games on their phones/tablets.

Especially those games like candy crush

boxy321

Monday mornings are the worst. There's always some women in 1st class from London to Brum who think they're the Red Queen played by Helena Bonham Carter in 'Alice in Wonderland', revealing/showing off about their activities over the previous weekend.

6Gman

Established Member

I'd have thought that justified a move to First Class.

:D

bramling

Veteran Member
Well a byelaw is not highly illegal. It is a local railway rule which in extreme Practical circumstances could result in the perpetrator getting a warning. On the way to that the actions of the loud person would certainly come under some scrutiny.
Now please read back to the relevant postings where the situation was described by Cowley in post #142 as:

"Also noisy people talking too loud generally. Was on a train in the 90s trying to read while a fairly large Hyacinth Bucket type woman was having a very loud and boring conversation with the other people on her table, when this time someone else snapped and told her she was irritating everyone else in the carriage. The whole carriage applauded this and the woman looked like she was going to explode. It was hilarious."

Clearly, the person making the noise had no consideration for her fellow passengers. I doubt that these fellow passengers would undermine the opportunity to shut the noise up, so any attempt of the woman to run along to a conductor would be unlikely.

Always seems to be a correlation between having an annoying voice and speaking loudly.

Two things I find irritating are when people board a virtually empty train, then come and sit very close to you and play loud music through their headphones or start interfering with windows. Show some consideration and sit elsewhere where your activity doesn't need to affect anyone.

AM9

Veteran Member
Always seems to be a correlation between having an annoying voice and speaking loudly.

Two things I find irritating are when people board a virtually empty train, then come and sit very close to you and play loud music through their headphones or start interfering with windows. Show some consideration and sit elsewhere where your activity doesn't need to affect anyone.

Maybe they find you less irritating than some other regular they normally encounter. :)

SS4

Established Member
I hate it when people moan about kids crying, despite the parents really looking after them. Yes, it's annoying when the parents ignore them, but when the parents are trying really hard to pacify, particular parents travelling on their own, then I have no issue with it. Babies cry. You did it, I did it. It happens.

In my experiences the amount of effort a parent puts into calming a crying infant has no discernible effect on the annoyance said crying causes. What is does do is increase my empathy towards the parents.

backontrack

Established Member
What about the couple of middle aged women occupying a table for four that me and my folks had reserved between Glasgow and Inverness refusing to move despite the fact that we had paid for the seats - then telling us to sit on the floor? They wouldn't listen to the guard either. Eventually, they moved to another carriage and moaned about us for about the whole way, trying to turn the carriage against us. We could here a whole carriage away.

When they got off and got their luggage, they said 'here's the man (pointing to my dad) who stole our seats'.

That happened back in First days.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
TOCs that have tip up seats in the cycle space, meaning that when you board you have to confront people who are sitting in the space you've reserved for your bike.

I've taken my bike on 185s many times and almost always find someone sitting in the cycle space even when there are many other seats available.

As a standard road bike when stored horizontally takes up the equivalent of 4 seats, surely the most sensible solution is to offer a dedicated cycle space where bikes can be stored vertically like on XC Voyagers or Northern 333s? Not only does this take up less space, but in my experience I've found other passengers don't tend to put their luggage there as it's obvious the space is for bikes only.

For me its reservations. I dont think its right that people who spend a couple of quid on a ticket get a guaranteed seat yet people who have paid full price don't i've always said advance tickets should be booked on a train but not a seat, Also those people who reserve a seat but find a better seat. Company's like east coast can have a huge amount of reserved seats i just think they should be done away with completely

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
For me its reservations. I dont think its right that people who spend a couple of quid on a ticket get a guaranteed seat yet people who have paid full price don't i've always said advance tickets should be booked on a train but not a seat, Also those people who reserve a seat but find a better seat. Company's like east coast can have a huge amount of reserved seats i just think they should be done away with completely

But the Advance ticket appeals to the leisure market. This is a price sensitive market who need as much incentive to travel by train as possible, which may include getting a window seat, or seats together, or seats near the buffet etc.

But the Advance ticket appeals to the leisure market. This is a price sensitive market who need as much incentive to travel by train as possible, which may include getting a window seat, or seats together, or seats near the buffet etc.

I understand this having worked in the industry for 7 years now but its just my opinion. I've had two people exactly the same journey on the same train the advance holder sat and the other ticket holder having paid a good £45 more stood. I've never agreed with with however i totally understand why the system works as it does

trainophile

Established Member

Or none of the above, with certain operators' Advance tickets, which give a timed train but no seat reservation! ATW and LM spring to mind, and I'm sure there are others.

A trivial annoyance for me is when those vertical toilet paper holders are stuffed so full that you can't get any out of the dispenser slot, or if you eventually do it's a whole wodge of it, much more than needed. And what do people do with the surplus? Yep, drop it down the pan and cause blockages. (Well I don't, I stuff it in my pocket and hope it isn't theft! :oops: )

Mordac

Established Member

You can book reservations on flexible tickets instead. Indeed, some TOCs like CrossCountry let you do it with very little advance notice.

6Gman

Established Member
My pet hate is those people who sit in the vestibules when there are empty seats in the train.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
A trivial annoyance for me is when those vertical toilet paper holders are stuffed so full that you can't get any out of the dispenser slot, or if you eventually do it's a whole wodge of it, much more than needed. And what do people do with the surplus? Yep, drop it down the pan and cause blockages. (Well I don't, I stuff it in my pocket and hope it isn't theft! :oops: )

On a similar theme, when the paper towels are placed in the dispenser upside down so there's no edge to grab onto.

Even worse, when there aren't any paper towels, just a crappy hand dryer that doesn't work "cough 158's cough".

Even worse, when the bogs out of use or run out of water.

Mordac

Established Member
When the toilet paper provided is the flimsiest they could get their hands on and falls apart at the slightest touch.

You can book reservations on flexible tickets instead. Indeed, some TOCs like CrossCountry let you do it with very little advance notice.

I know about that being the TOC i work for :-P As i say even with that in mind i still don't agree with reservations. I personally believe it should be first come first served with seats just my humble opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.