• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

what fuel do modern locomotives use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beveridges

Established Member
If the unit is working correctly then both engines power up when the driver opens up. Normally the fuel that is pumped into the unit's tanks on a unit is roughly the same between all the vehicles, but its not unusual for one vehicle to take a lot more than the other on the same unit. The reason is either due to a fault with the unit of some sort, or most likely, because the equipment on the fuel rig is very inconsistant. Sometimes it cuts off well before the tank is full on some, while on others it fills it to the very top or even continues to pump fuel into it while its pouring over the overflow!

Yeah i think it was red at the depot where i use to work and i was told that it was bought for 7p a litre (2007) but don't forget it's not that well refined (dirty oily diesel). Whether that price is right or not the information came from a good reliable source.
Railway diesel is exceptionally filthy and not well refined, it makes me wonder what the health implications are of getting covered in this stuff, as well as breathing in fuel vapours from 1000's of litres of spilled diesel. As is what happens on the fuel rig every night. The PPE provided is minimal, just gloves and overalls.
Sucking the crap out of the toilet tanks is a clean job in comparison to fuelling.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member
If the PPE that you are issued with is either not up to the job or is lacking you should go to your manager to request what you need...put it in writing if needs be. If they don't listen then talk to your union rep.

No one should be performing duties without suitable PPE.

A few years ago we went through a stage of fueling class 66 locos at our depot in emergencies. We were not given any extra PPE to do this task and after the first couple of refuels we refused to do it.

We are now (thanks to the union rep) issued with overalls, gloves, boot covers, hard hat, breathing mask and safety glasses specifically for the job.

shedman

PPE?? The sound of them 3 letters together is what I did when I read that! We get goggles too. One curiosity though, while fuelling we are in a "ear defenders mandatory" area because of engines running, not usually with compressor speed up on but the fuel roads are running lines meaning you can't wear ear defenders! Figure that one out!

Beveridges

Established Member
the fuel roads are running lines meaning you can't wear ear defenders! Figure that one out!

There should be a posession/block on ALL fuel roads while units are being fuelled, which makes it OK to wear ear defenders as nothing should be moving.
Wearing ear defenders with no posession on, while units are being drawn down to be fuelled, would be a different thing altogether though!
Ear defenders are definitely required, noises are on average 90 dB while on working on an average fuel rig, if compressor speedup is on then expect it to be over 100 dB, and even worse if someone is prepping a unit while it's being fuelled and decides to test the horn when it's just 3 foot away from your ear while your fuelling on the pad

Trog

Established Member
I do remember reading of a case years ago where houses near a BR fueling point had problems with rising diesel. As so much fuel had been allowed to drain into the ground.

TGV

Is all fuelling done outside? I seem to remember reading somewhere that some sheds have fuelling points in them at various points to level up with the different classes of rolling stock.

When we do maintenance on our sets, the work is divided up largely into "powered up" and "powered down/earthed" work. I assumed that diesel traction work is similiar but is divided into engine off/engine on work? Or are the engines rarely powered up in the shed to keep fumes to a minimum - even with modern extraction kit?

Beveridges

Established Member
Fuelling points at all depots I work at (Newton Heath / Blackpool ) are outdoors.

I am aware that Neville Hill has an indoor fuelling point so can imagine levels of fumes, diesel vapours and noise levels are even worse. I cannot understand why a fuel point needs to be indoors, these places should always be outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.