• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What happened to all the Valentas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demps

We all know nearly all HSTs have had engine replacements, but what has happened to the legendary Valenta engine? Did they get sent straight to scrap merchants? (If so which ones) Has any body preserved an example? Is there even any left?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Some have been scrapped. The 125 group has preserved some with the aim of re-fitting to a hst in the future.

anthony263

Established Member
I think some went to Grand central to be used for spares for their HST engines.

I wouldnt mind seing a hst preserved and repainted into interity swallow livery with a valenta engine

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
I wouldn't mind seeing a hst preserved and repainted into intercity swallow livery with a valenta engine

I second that, but I think it would be appropriate for one to be preserved in the original livery.

anthony263

Established Member
Whats to say that you cant have to hsts preserved but in different livery, personally i prefer the swallow livery having been brought up with it when i was younger

Phoenix

Established Member
The 125 group have saved I believe over 10 power units of the Valenta type and also quite a few Marston Cooler groups as you may not know but these were also essential in making the valentas sound the way they do (I believe this from various reading etc)

Demps

Thanks for the replies, is there any still floating about in scrap yards anyway? I'd love to get a Builders plate off one. Oh, and yes i do know what marston coolers are.

Established Member
I think some went to Grand central to be used for spares for their HST engines.

I wouldnt mind seing a hst preserved and repainted into interity swallow livery with a valenta engine

here here ICS all the way :D

BOSCH

We all know nearly all HSTs have had engine replacements, but what has happened to the legendary Valenta engine? Did they get sent straight to scrap merchants? (If so which ones) Has any body preserved an example? Is there even any left?

Still a few left by all accounts,43080 is at Brush getting one !!!<D

Techniquest

Veteran Member
If we're going to see any preserved livery, surely Black and Yellow should make an appearance. That looked absolutely stunning, far superior to the Blue and Yellow/Blue and Grey. Swallow is the one HST livery pre-TOCs that I was very familiar with and liked a lot, but Black and Yellow just worked so well it would be criminal if it didn't return. Hmm, now there's an idea...

Can't recall the number of Valentas the 125 Group has, but it's a fair number. Shame a couple of celebritity 12RP200Ls have had to be scrapped...:cry:

kestrel

If we're going to see any preserved livery, surely Black and Yellow should make an appearance. That looked absolutely stunning, far superior to the Blue and Yellow/Blue and Grey. Swallow is the one HST livery pre-TOCs that I was very familiar with and liked a lot, but Black and Yellow just worked so well it would be criminal if it didn't return. Hmm, now there's an idea...

Can't recall the number of Valentas the 125 Group has, but it's a fair number. Shame a couple of celebritity 12RP200Ls have had to be scrapped...:cry:

Black an Yellow never made it into service,one or two were painted in it but none worked a service train in this livery;)

Blue an yellow flying banana livery suited them well remember when they first came out,ultra modern compared to the drab blue an grimy loco's an stock we had then, although the loco's sounded a hell of alot better than we have now, gimmie a grimey blue western any day :D

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Black an Yellow never made it into service,one or two were painted in it but none worked a service train in this livery;)

It may not have been about in service, but the one shot of 43002 in it I saw convinced me it was a brilliant livery!

Having not been about in the BR Blue era, I wouldn't know how different it looked when the HSTs came in. I can imagine, but that's it.

Demps

At least they got new engines, They could have been scrapped and replaced with 220s!

Who asked?

Its nice to know that a design so old is stil in servcie, but i dont pay aany attention at all to MTU's etc. Completely boring if you ask me.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I believe the Black and Yellow was very similar to the style seen in that link. I know there's a shot of 43002 in the livery at Crewe Works in the HST Silver Jubilee book, but aside from that I'm feeling too lazy to look it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.