• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is actually down the Aldwych branch line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey C

Established Member
The B-grade horror film Creep (2004) was one film that used the former Jubilee Line platforms at Charing Cross to some extent. The only reason I'm really mentioning it is due to that poster for it. 13 years later and it still gives me the shivers, regardless of the quality of the film it was promoting.

Watching the trailer, plenty of Charing Cross station shots plus a 1995 interior and unrefurbished 1972? stock, presumably the Aldwych one mentioned earlier in this thread :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnV_jGgGZH4

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

High Dyke

Established Member
Did a behind the scenes tour with English Heritage around Aldwych station last year. A most interesting trip, even with the stairs down to the platforms and back up again.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Do many drivers sign the route into the station? I'd imagine that it would probably only be a handful at most

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Do many drivers sign the route into the station? I'd imagine that it would probably only be a handful at most
The concept of "signing" a route doesn't exist on the Underground per se. The rule book requires that you have a "full working route knowledge of any section of the line over which your train is due to work," otherwise you must request a pilot. New Train Operators to a line will have a set list of the number of times a specific trip or move must be undertaken (sometimes certain ones can be done in theory rather than practically) but after that only certain moves would be assessed either as part of the P&D process being discussed with your manager or dependent on location on the annual CDP (annual test of rules).

No Picc line drivers would have the appropriate route knowledge any more; I would expect just Test Train Operators and maybe certain engineering (Transplant) drivers?

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Aldwych is mainly used for "period" filming whereas Charing Cross Jubilee is used for modern day scenes

rebmcr

Established Member
No Picc line drivers would have the appropriate route knowledge any more; I would expect just Test Train Operators and maybe certain engineering (Transplant) drivers?

In the event of all knowledge being lost (or a new route) would a test train driver take a train on the section at caution and/or at a very low speed, to become familiar and then act as an initial pilot to spread the knowledge?

Lrd

Established Member
In the event of all knowledge being lost (or a new route) would a test train driver take a train on the section at caution and/or at a very low speed, to become familiar and then act as an initial pilot to spread the knowledge?
They would likely "hike it" (visit the area on foot) and then take a train down there

Status
Not open for further replies.