• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is it like to drive the class 158?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BpRAIL158

Hi there. I am interested in drivers' opinions on the performance, reliability, comfort, breaking, acceleration and noisiness of the 158 cab? Also, what is the process for choosing what notch to select when moving off in normal conditions (i.e. high adhesion etc). Is it 3 to get moving, then 5, then 7, or different?
Thank you,
Brad

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Bishop

Hi there. I am interested in drivers' opinions on the performance, reliability, comfort, breaking, acceleration and noisiness of the 158 cab? Also, what is the process for choosing what notch to select when moving off in normal conditions (i.e. high adhesion etc). Is it 3 to get moving, then 5, then 7, or different?
Thank you,
Brad
I quite like them. It’s a little cramped up front if you’re tall with long legs but they’re okay. Our company driving policy states 3,5,7 for starting off but that may vary between TOCs. Above all else, there’s a nice flat desk in front of you to put your cup of coffee on, unlike a 170.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Quite a common theme during the summer is for the aircon to fail in the cab. To ensure the driver has enough ventilation they’ll drive with the cab window open, but due to wind noise will travel at reduced speed so that they can still hear the DVD and AWS.

BpRAIL158

Interesting. What are policies on braking when stood at stations? Do drivers leave the brake in step 1 and allow the train to automatically apply bar equivalent to a full service application or do they manually apply full service?

Towers

Established Member
Interesting. What are policies on braking when stood at stations? Do drivers leave the brake in step 1 and allow the train to automatically apply bar equivalent to a full service application or do they manually apply full service?
Common tactic is to knock back to step one once the doors have been released, as that automatically applies the full service brakes, and then once the doors close the brakes immediately begin to release back down to step one, and then fully as the driver knocks the brake handle to OFF. This saves a wee bit of time in getting the train away!

chuff chuff

It’s a little cramped up front if you’re tall with long legs but they’re okay.
That,not a fan of being stuck in them all day.

Common tactic is to knock back to step one once the doors have been released, as that automatically applies the full service brakes, and then once the doors close the brakes immediately begin to release back down to step one, and then fully as the driver knocks the brake handle to OFF. This saves a wee bit of time in getting the train away!
This is what we used to do but company policy changed quite a few years back to brake being put into step 3 while sitting at stations.

tom1649

Interesting that policy states which notches to use. You'd think they'd trust the judgement and skill of their drivers to use the notches they see fit!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Interesting that policy states which notches to use. You'd think they'd trust the judgement and skill of their drivers to use the notches they see fit!
I read that it developed in a similar way to the brake policy.

BR research determined a more efficient method after the original method was adopted.

When new, the driving technique for Springers was to apply a low power setting (at least Notch 2) to fill the torque converter at a stand, while holding Step 1 brake. As soon as the converter was filled, then straight to Notch 7 and then releasing the brake to give maximum acceleration.

At the time, this was deemed the most efficient method - getting to the required speed as quickly as possible.

Later, tests determined that this wasted a lot of fuel as well as not being particularly effective in poor rail conditions.

ScotRail determined in tests on their 150s that the most efficient policy was Start in 2, 4 at 5mph and Full power at 10mph.

Tests with then fairly new 156s determined the now widely used 3-5-7 policy was best.

I don't know quite how long the switch took, perhaps some drivers decided themselves to continue with the full power start method but it seems by the time 158s are introducing that the whack it open technique isn't the norm anymore.

I did recently watch a video on YouTube of Newport in 1989 with some 156s featuring (standing in for 155s) and they all seemed to be driven on the original Off-low-full technique.

chuff chuff

That went out years ago almost everything you/we do is covered by some policy or other.

Status
Not open for further replies.