• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is the best unofficial name for a railway line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
As someone mentioned a pre-grouping railway, there was also The Old Worse and Worse - the Oxford Worcester and Wolverhampton Railway.
OWW is still the Engineer's Line Reference for the line!

coppercapped

Established Member
Historically, my favourite is the Manchester, South Junction and Altrincham Railway (MSJ&AR) - Many Short Journeys & Absolute Reliability.
My other favourite from the same part of the world is the MS&L, the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway also known as the Money Sunk and Lost.

When it built its London Extension to become the Great Central it became the Gone Completely.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
LB&SCR Ladies boots and shoes cleaned regularly.
ASLE & F. Associated Society of Leprechauns Elves and Fairies
The Primrose Line Brent-Kingsbridge (before the SDR used the name)

daodao

Established Member
The Slow & Dirty, alias the Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway.

The Knotty, alias the North Staffordshire Railway.

The Burma Road, alias the Waterford Limerick & Western Railway line from Limerick to Collooney Junction, later part of the Great Southern & Western Railway - so called apparently because of the large number of level crossings.

The Premier line (for good reason), alias the London & North Western Railway.

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
'The Desert' - between Westbury and Taunton (or Fairwood Jn and Cogload Jn).

gallafent

If this can extend to trains, I can't think of a lot more evocative than "The Deerstalker Express" for the FW Sleeper. I also quite like "The Master Cobbler" as very occasionally put on the side of a Euston to Northampton fast (aping the Master Cutler to Sheffield).
I'd add “The Highland Chieftain” and (of course!) “The Clansman” to those, fond memories of both! :)

D6130

Established Member
The 'London Smashem and Turnover Railway' (aka London, Chatham and Dover), which in 1899 merged with the 'Slow Easy Railway (aka the South Eastern) to form the 'Slow Easy and Comfortable Railway (aka the South Eastern and Chatham).

gallafent

I just call it the Liz line
I still think that my completely original and unpublicised “Paddingpool” line (or at a push of course in particularly wet weather the paddling pool line ;), for the Elizabeth Line, deserves a greater audience, given that it follows a well-worn path … _Padding_ton to Liver_pool_ Street ... cf _Baker_ Street to Water_loo_, _Bed_ford to St. _Pan_cras, etc. (any more like that?).

Any takers? :)

ELX378

Obviously it was used very jokingly but for me it's somebody calling the Metropolitan Line the "Bow and Harrow Line"

Dr_Paul

Established Member
When I worked in Shepherds Bush, the Hammersmith and City -- H & C -- Line was known as the Hot and Cold Line.

I believe that the Bakerloo Line was an unofficial contraction of Baker Street and Waterloo, which the company didn't like but was forced to adopt as it became very popular with passengers. It would be nice were the Goblin Line to became its official name because of popular usage.

Western 52

The Slow & Dirty, alias the Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway.

The Knotty, alias the North Staffordshire Railway.

The Burma Road, alias the Waterford Limerick & Western Railway line from Limerick to Collooney Junction, later part of the Great Southern & Western Railway - so called apparently because of the large number of level crossings.

The Premier line (for good reason), alias the London & North Western Railway.
The S&D was also Swift and Delightful to those who liked it!

Dryce

I've a lot of Glaswegian-born friends who do call it the Clockwork Orange, and most use it every day.

Well I used to be a frequent user and I've never heard the term used locally - except when it comes up in discussion about it not being used locally.

O L Leigh

Established Member
I still think that my completely original and unpublicised “Paddingpool” line (or at a push of course in particularly wet weather the paddling pool line ;), for the Elizabeth Line, deserves a greater audience, given that it follows a well-worn path … _Padding_ton to Liver_pool_ Street ... cf _Baker_ Street to Water_loo_, _Bed_ford to St. _Pan_cras, etc. (any more like that?).

Any takers? :)

I recall there being a competition to come up with route branding for the Euston DC lines under NSE. The winning suggestion was Harlequin Line formed from the names of some of the stations along the route, but I recall a journalist of some stripe suggesting that it take the example of BedPan and be called the EuWat (you what…?).

John Luxton

Established Member
Then there was the Weston, Clevedon and Portishead - WC &
I have read a few times that a GWR passenger complained about the rudeness of one of a member of staff at the nearby GWR station who when asked directions was told go to the WC&P! How true it is I don't know but I have seen it mentioned in one or two books.

Here on Merseyside there was "The Dockers' Umbrella" the Liverpool Overhead Railway so named because it provided a convenient shelter for dockers as it ran along the dock road and sometimes within the perimeter of the docks.

Future

‘Notwork Fail’ — aka Network Rail. Although I feel that alias could be more fairly applied to Railtrack (*cough* subcontractors *cough*)

peteb

Dudley to Old Hill (Westmidlands) line used to be referred to as "the bumble hole"........ absolutely no idea what that referred to!

Sheridan

The steam railmotor on the Skelmersdale line was known as the ‘Skem Jazzer’. Granted that’s not the line itself, but it seems its use was certainly heavily associated with the line.

SERA01UK

I recall there being a competition to come up with route branding for the Euston DC lines under NSE. The winning suggestion was Harlequin Line formed from the names of some of the stations along the route, but I recall a journalist of some stripe suggesting that it take the example of BedPan and be called the EuWat (you what…?).
A better suggestion was the WatUse line…

matchmaker

Established Member
The steam railmotor on the Skelmersdale line was known as the ‘Skem Jazzer’. Granted that’s not the line itself, but it seems its use was certainly heavily associated with the line.
Similarly, the railmotor used on the Catrine branch in Ayrshire was known as the "Catrine Caur".

Peter0124

Established Member
The thing is, hardly anyone from Glasgow calls it that! It's always been called the Subway, even when Glasgow Corporation tried to call it the Underground.
I suppose there could be confusion with LU if they called it 'The Underground'. Also how about the Subway vs the sandwich shop of the same name :D

Maude673

The thing is, hardly anyone from Glasgow calls it that! It's always been called the Subway, even when Glasgow Corporation tried to call it the Underground.
I suppose I remember it was used more when I was a small child in the late 80s when the orange trains were still relatively new and and the film/book also more culturally relevant

Status
Not open for further replies.