• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is the best unofficial name for a railway line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The Misery Line was the Evening Standard's name for the Northern Line (coined in 1972?) which caught on.

Taunton

Established Member
Then there was the Weston, Clevedon and Portishead - WC & P
Old lady at Weston GWR station : "Stationmaster, your porter has just been appallingly rude to me".
Stationmaster : "That doesn't sound like Old Jim at all. I'll go and speak to him".

Stationmaster : "What did you say to the old lady".
Old Jim : "Nothin' particular. She'd just missed her connection to Portishead, so all I said was 'Madam, in that case the best you can do is go to the WC&P' ".

dk1

Veteran Member
Many would be instantly deleted if posted on here as not politically correct these days. One that always makes me chuckle however is the Felixstowe branch which staff a few years ago christened ‘The Fake Burberry Line’ lol.

BrianW

Established Member
Somewhere then- The Politically Correct Line?

... or Incorrect ...

The Offensive Line- Ely to Kings Lynn via South West Norfolk- Liz Truss's current constituency

miklcct

On Moderation
My favourites are:
  • The Drain (Waterloo & City line) - which describes the function elegantly
  • Lizzie line (Elizabeth line) - so cute

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Not a line but platfiorms 8-11 at Euston are known as The Wood.

Airline Man

The London, Tilbury and Southend was always known as the 'Misery Line', fortunately not now.

newtownmgr

‘The Bumble Hole’. Branch line from Blowers Green on the Stourbridge-Dudley line to Old Hill on the Stourbridge-Snow Hill line.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
There used to be the Triangle of Doom at Exeter (Exmouth,Paignton and Barnstaple). Now since Okehampton it’s the Square of Despair!
Laira was always known as Fantasy Island.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There used to be the Triangle of Doom at Exeter (Exmouth,Paignton and Barnstaple). Now since Okehampton it’s the Square of Despair!
Laira was always known as Fantasy Island.

Once Axminster gets included it’ll have to be the Quadrangle of something. ;)

Re ‘The Mule’ no I’m not sure where that comes from either but it does kind of suit it.

boiledbeans2

Earlier this year, I was at Romford, when a man asked a TfL staff, "Is the push & pull running?"

Now, as I've been a good student and have read Wikipedia, I knew what he meant (It was also my first time hearing that name used in the field).

The TfL member of staff was utterly confused, so I jumped in and said, "yeah, it's running", as I was heading for the push & pull as well.

Grecian 1998

I've heard two explanations regarding the Mule for Waterloo - Exeter.

1. It used to have a lot of jointed track and early MkIIs with open windows into the 1990s, so you could travel long distance at 85mph enjoying a train rattling over jointed track with a 'clip clop' sound. Both now gone of course.

2. It was the Cinderella route to the south-west so was a mule compared to the Berks & Hants thoroughbred horse (although that wasn't particularly fast till improved around 1980s when the HSTs arrived).

No idea if either is true though.

Status
Not open for further replies.