• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is the cause of unreliability of Vivarail Class 230 trains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Conked out this morning. Unconfirmed street word is that there was a fire.

Bit of a shock as since the new year the mechanicals have been reliable.

Yeah, it's mostly been staff issues. The standby bus has been outside rather a lot!

That said, given that the problem is primarily overheating and it's been cold I think the issue may just be masked rather than fixed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

big all

On Moderation
Yeah, it's mostly been staff issues. The standby bus has been outside rather a lot!

That said, given that the problem is primarily overheating and it's been cold I think the issue may just be masked rather than fixed.
Rather cynical :D

Yes they could just sit back and do nothing, for the problem to return during the next hot spell, or they could be working on a solution to the problem, with no way off knowing if it has worked, until next summer;)

Last edited by a moderator:

samuelmorris

Established Member
Indeed we have no way of knowing, because nobody's said anything. Given how much disruption it caused last Summer and how much Abellio like to big themselves up I'm surprised there hasn't been an announcement about the fault having been rectified, if indeed it has been.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Indeed we have no way of knowing, because nobody's said anything. Given how much disruption it caused last Summer and how much Abellio like to big themselves up I'm surprised there hasn't been an announcement about the fault having been rectified, if indeed it has been.

While Vivarail like to keep their cards close to their chest, I'm unconvinced it has been fixed, and if the things last that long before another conflagration I can see the problems starting again in May or thereabouts as the weather gets warmer.

samuelmorris

Established Member
While Vivarail like to keep their cards close to their chest, I'm unconvinced it has been fixed, and if the things last that long before another conflagration I can see the problems starting again in May or thereabouts as the weather gets warmer.
Is my concern as well - while the 230s have lifted themselves off the bottom of the reliability chart, if things are only going to revert to how they were once warmer weather appears, things will still be dire - staffing issues notwithstanding. Imagine if last summer had been like 2018's instead. There'd have been bus replacement on the route every day for months.

Neen Sollars

Thanks for the updates on reliability issues. I have been following this D78 to 230 programme with interest but clearly things have not gone to plan. If I remember correctly Vivarail were going to use another manufacturers diesel engine, and new batteries from either another supplier or upgraded ones from the original. Everything has gone so quiet with the TfW 230`s that you wonder if they will use the new diesel engines, perhaps these will be better cooled than the Ford ones. The 230`s selling point is ease of power configuration with the under slung rafts so if any improvement is seen with new engines, I hope the Marston Vale 230`s are upgraded as soon as possible.

philthetube

Established Member
Nobody in their right mind would make an announcement about overheating problems being fixed until proper testing had taken place, and this will not be possible until we have hot weather.

Silverlinky

Two separate occasions of "brake block contamination" at the back end of last week. Yes NR had been rail grinding down there as other contamination had built up on the rails causing track circuits to fail. That was though to be from the 230 sanders as it was worst on approach to the stations.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
It isn't "convenient", it's fact.

Are we saying the swarf from grinding is contaminating brake blocks? If so how? Is the waste product not too big for that?

I have only ever seen large scale waste removed from the machinery. If the small waste still causes issues I will bow to your knowledge. I assumed it was all burnt up!

big all

On Moderation
Are we saying the swarf from grinding is contaminating brake blocks? If so how? Is the waste product not too big for that?

I have only ever seen large scale waste removed from the machinery. If the small waste still causes issues I will bow to your knowledge. I assumed it was all burnt up!
you only get true swarf from cutting tools that shave metal off
grinders wear away the surface and the resultant discharge is metal particles and grit from the grinding wheels or it is with the speno when we piloted it ??

Peter Sarf

Established Member
There has been no service for a couple of months!

Doh. That crossed my mind and then I decided surely not !.

Surely by now the need for public transport has grown enough ?. Where I live there are plenty of people who do not have a car and are having to rely on ever filling busses. Or perhaps the schools going back will tip the balance.

Lets hope the engineers have had time to use the opportunity to tinker thoroughly with the 230s at Bletchley.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Doh. That crossed my mind and then I decided surely not !.

Surely by now the need for public transport has grown enough ?

They've put RRBs on which is more than enough capacity, it is not, other than the school trains, a busy service.

I believe when it was unserved completely they had made arrangement with a small number of key workers for alternatives, I guess taxis.

Status
Not open for further replies.