• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is the furthest distance between two consecutive bus stops on a bus route in London?

Status
Not open for further replies.

duncombec

Interesting. I thought it might be a reluctance to name it after the two closest communities to the station - Pratt's Bottom and Badgers Mount!

Only ran on Friday and Saturday night, to get people home after a night out in town (much cheaper than a taxi). There may also have been some traffic in the reverse direction - those needing to get into town early. I guess they hoped it would make money. It stopped in quite a few places after Welling. Only lasted three years. Replacement now confined to London, where it serves more of Bexley Borough. More details at the dependable London Bus Route NX1 (londonbuses.co.uk)
The route to Gillingham lasted longer, numbered N81 for a time (I think there was an N80 somewhere, perhaps an earlier part of the journey), being eventually withdrawn in 2002, whilst there was also an N60 (I think) to Watford.

Certainly on the N81, the journeys in the London-bound direction terminated in outer central London (e.g. New Cross), as by that point it was the start of the daytime service!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Certainly on the N81, the journeys in the London-bound direction terminated in outer central London (e.g. New Cross), as by that point it was the start of the daytime service!
More to do with the fact that the buses were out of New Cross garage and the drivers were perilously close to their duty limit!

As an aside, New Cross with its previous tram associations had always been an exception to the norm in night services e.g. running Sat night/Sun morning at a time when most routes didn't, and running the always unnumbered Inter-Station Night Service. Straight shifts, without a break, were also commonplace at a time when they were deeply unpopular elsewhere. Buses even changed route in the course of a duty on one occasion, almost unprecedented then.

Last edited:

Typhoon

Established Member
The route to Gillingham lasted longer, numbered N81 for a time (I think there was an N80 somewhere, perhaps an earlier part of the journey), being eventually withdrawn in 2002, whilst there was also an N60 (I think) to Watford.

N81 was a seven day a week service, but just one journey continued to Gillingham on a Friday and Saturday night, Initially served Gravesend and Dartford, later cut back to Crayford (London border). Details at London Bus Route N81 (londonbuses.co.uk) which is also linked by the NX1 service.

More to do with the fact that the buses were out of New Cross garage and the drivers were perilously close to their duty limit!

As an aside, New Cross with its previous tram associations had always been an exception to the norm in night services e.g. running Sat night/Sun morning at a time when most routes didn't, and running the always unnumbered Inter-Station Night Service. Straight shifts, without a break, were also commonplace at a time when they were deeply unpopular elsewhere. Buses even changed route in the course of a duty on one occasion, almost unprecedented then.
Interesting. Your initial statement, of course, assumes everything runs to time! Central London to Gillingham is a fair old run, even in the dead of night especially as it is following a line of town centres rather than a more direct route. Ian Armstrong's web page (given in #30) indicates that the meal break was taken before commencement of service!

Status
Not open for further replies.