• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is the longest bus/coach journey you have been on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Simon75

On Moderation
Stoke-on-Trent to Chelmsford via Birmingham, Northampton, Bedford and Cambridge

Taunton

Established Member
Greyhound, Miami to Los Angeles, 1970s. 4 days/3 nights, 2,800 miles, in one go. Same vehicle, an MC7, ran right through; apparently after a few hours in LA it went back again. I think they used to do about 1 million miles every 5 years or so.

Part of completely circumnavigating the USA during university summer hols. It was a common thing for UK students to do at the time, ticket for $99 took you anywhere within 21 days. May have been around 8,000 miles in the three weeks.

Last edited:

Established Member
Krakow/Warsaw to Kyiv. Done it many times over the last 18 months.

embers25

Established Member
New York to Prince Rupert via Toronto and Edmonton same bus all the way years ago.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Back in my student days I did Aberdeen to London and back with National Express. Never again!

deltic

Established Member
Olsztyn to Elk in Poland - 3hr rail replacement coach service

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
My answers aren't gonna be anywhere near as impressive, for me it's probably a Manchester-London coach (~4h) in Primary School (the only overnight school trip I've ever done, never again).
Longest public service probably a bus from the Trafford Centre at an unlucky time, took over an hour to get from the bus station to the M60.

TheSmiths82

Manchester to Lloret De Mar. It actually isn't too bad as it uses the ferry and stops every 3 hours or so. It takes around 24 hours although not been on that service since the B word.
Second to that it would be London to Lyon (£5 Flixbux or Megabus - I can't remember it was a long time ago), also done Manchester to Paris on a college trip many years ago.

Iskra

Established Member
Berlin-Huddersfield
Huddersfield-Austria and return

Both on college trips. Both journeys were fine although I preferred the top one as it was a double-decker coach.

sharpley

Hoi An in Vietnam to somewhere in Laos whos name escapes me. About 36 hours largely along a dirt track. The bus was full of freight as well so the aisles had sacks of stuff in them. At the border crossing we had to wait so the driver slung up a hammock across his driving area to grab some kip. This was in 2000... happy days.

kez19

Established Member
Xplore Dundee (National Express at time): 17 Whitfield to South Road Tesco (90 min)

Stagecoach (Strathtay): 57 Dundee to Perth via Alyth and Blairgowrie (2 hours)

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
My longest journeys were tours rather than scheduled single journeys and were plane-spotting trips to Europe. The longest was London-Toulouse-Milan-Frankfurt-London calling at a number of other places en-route. Although spread over several days, including hotels most(!) nights, it was the same seat throughout and I soon understood why the "veterans" brought an extra cushion with them! Distance on that one was well over 3000km.

MotCO

Established Member
Mine was a holiday trip in a Ford Transit with standard seats: Dover to Loen (north west of Oslo) via Zeebruge, Hamburg and Copenhagen in 5 days. Stayed in Norway for 4 days, then back again, camping as we went.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Coach (scheduled): London Victoria Coach Station -> Liverpool Coach Station.
Coach (charter/tour): Huddersfield -> Riom (Auvergne) on a school trip. Or possibly Huddersfield -> Köln also on a school trip. Not sure which was longer.

Swanny200

Back in my student days I did Aberdeen to London and back with National Express. Never again!
Did that many a time overnight when I moved to Kent, so I could go "home" and see family in the holidays. I remember sitting downstairs behind the drivers partition of a Trathens Van Hool decker in the late 90's on one occasion and as the announcement was made after leaving Victoria that there was no smoking on board, you could smell it as the driver lit up (numerous times during the journey), wasn't great when you were trying to give up!

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Did that many a time overnight when I moved to Kent, so I could go "home" and see family in the holidays. I remember sitting downstairs behind the drivers partition of a Trathens Van Hool decker in the late 90's on one occasion and as the announcement was made after leaving Victoria that there was no smoking on board, you could smell it as the driver lit up (numerous times during the journey), wasn't great when you were trying to give up!

"Smoking in or on the vehicle' by the driver (and conductor) was specifically prohibited under the P.S.V. regulations - certainly by 1970 and presumably long before.

stuu

Established Member
About 20 years ago, I did Singapore to Hat Yai in southern Thailand, 14 hours-ish, so not that much compared to some of the previous posters. Very comfortable 2+1 overnight bus, however the most notable thing was it was basically time travel given the difference in economic development between the two ends of the journey

Kilmacolm to Newcastle
Ijmuiden to Diksmuide
Diksmuide to Ypres to Mesen to Ypres to Diksmuide
Diksmuide to Albert to Liéven to Diksmuide
Diksmuide to Ypres to Diksmuide to Ypres to Diksmuide
Diksmuide to Calais, Dover to Burton-in-Kendal to Kilmacolm

co-tr-paul

Bristol to Blackpool , AEC Reliance/Duple Dominant 1.
We always booked the rear seats so as in this case, 5 seats between 3 people !!
Wessex, Bristol.

Status
Not open for further replies.