• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is this sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOONY

Hi,

I have noticed on a video a "new" trackside sign. It comprises a black "S" on a square yellow background in the same style as Temp Speed Restriction signs.

Can anyone enlighten me please?

Many thanks,

Moony

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Hi,

I have noticed on a video a "new" trackside sign. It comprises a black "S" on a square yellow background in the same style as Temp Speed Restriction signs.

Many thanks,

Moony

Are you sure it wasn’t a 5?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Hi,

Many thanks,

Moony

Can you link the video, if it's online?

The Planner

Veteran Member
Presumably not, as it was spotted from a cabride at speed. It was not a differential board either.

Sorry - It was a few days ago and I cannot locate the source.
Can you not find it in your internet history?

mr_moo

It's a datum plate.
I was waiting for the first person to say that! :lol:

If you can tell us where it was I should be able to have a closer look. I am a rail engineer so have access to quite a few track videos - I may be able to find it and post a pic.

Last edited:

driver9000

Established Member
If its the same as the one at St Helens Central it's a stopping mark for setting back through a crossover.

mr_moo

(From a FFCCTV camera on a train) - The one at St Helens central:

1677164280827.png

and the approach to it, showing a walkway on the side of the track and a crossing (to the signal box) at the other end of the walkway, plus a GPL (Ground position light signal) for moves back towards the station:
1677164498573.png

Thus: Stopping marker for trains to stop there, then the drivers can get out and use the walkway to change ends, before setting back into the station for their next service.

Status
Not open for further replies.