• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is this train? (Unadvertised)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GOEdwards

Apologies if the wrong place to post (relative newby here)-was changing trains at Cheltenham at lunchtime and saw D213 come through-sounded and smelled fantastic!
65B1363A-266F-4D17-B0DD-679C80476080.jpeg

zwk500

Veteran Member

Mcq

On the same subject - does anyone know what X365 is in Hertford N EMU siding 1?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Possibly a little off-topic, but I wonder what this is on 5 July from Victoria:

It's not on any of the tour sites.
Special charter to Althorp House

https://telegraph.tripsmiths.com/tours/belmond-earl-spencer-althorp-house-tour

Althorp House tour by train

1 Day
From £615
In association with TS Tours

Travel in luxury on this iconic train and enjoy a private welcome and tour of the Spencer family estate with its owner

On this exclusive rail journey, you'll enjoy a three-course brunch as you make your way from London to Althorp in Northamptonshire, one of the UK's finest stately homes. Once there you'll be met by Lord Spencer, who will give a private talk and let you explore the house and grounds.

On your return to London you'll be treated to a Champagne reception and delicious four-course dinner on-board the Belmond British Pullman so your day will end - as it started - in style.

Mcq

Don't know but thanks for your guess.
Can signalers (York) put just anything in there - how does the next shift person know what it is?

_toommm_

Established Member
Don't know but thanks for your guess.
Can signalers (York) put just anything in there - how does the next shift person know what it is?

I believe signallers can ‘transpose’ anything they like. You’ll often find at stations like Manchester Piccadilly, if a unit is going to sit in the station for a few hours, they’ll put the departure time in that signal berth.

There was a thread somewhere on the forum highlighting funny things they’d found that signallers had put on the signal maps.

Mcq

Thanks - I've noticed a range of variation for presumably out of use sidings -
For instance the short 'stub' at Bowes Park has recently become STOP
The siding on the down line of Hertford North - which I though was still in use - now says *OOU
But the apparently unused siding at Welwyn Garden City by shunt 178 is marked OOU-
All these are controlled by the same York ROC
Lastly I observe that now Moorgate and KX are controlled from York that all their terminating platforms show **** when there is no train occupying - is that something meaningful?
Just interested - thanks.

_toommm_

Established Member
Thanks - I've noticed a range of variation for presumably out of use sidings -
For instance the short 'stub' at Bowes Park has recently become STOP
The siding on the down line of Hertford North - which I though was still in use - now says *OOU
But the apparently unused siding at Welwyn Garden City by shunt 178 is marked OOU-
All these are controlled by the same York ROC
Lastly I observe that now Moorgate and KX are controlled from York that all their terminating platforms show **** when there is no train occupying - is that something meaningful?
Just interested - thanks.

OOU is Out Of Use. Train describers need four characters normally so there’ll be something either at the start or end like a star or dash.

**** is (I believe) when the track circuit is activated, but the system doesn’t know what’s there (in terms of a headcode).

Status
Not open for further replies.