• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What Northern EMU or bi-mode services should use the new OLE from Manchester Victoria to Stalybridge when complete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greybeard33

Established Member
From the TRU thread:
Wires to Stalybridge will also have an impact on the Manchester Recovery Plan options.
You'd expect electric services to run through Victoria to Stalybridge rather than diesel services.
Southport and North Wales services terminating at Stalybridge figure in current options, but you would expect EMUs or 769s after the wires went up.
You'd also expect extended diesel services to terminate at Rochdale or beyond.
Liverpool-Stalybridge was a regular service before Chat Moss wires went up, forcing termination at Victoria.
Two 769s made trial runs from Victoria to Stalybridge (on diesel!) a few days ago. But I think EMUs would be a better use of the wires. Any suggestions as to which EMU service(s) might be extended to Stalybridge?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Energy

Established Member
From the TRU thread:

Two 769s made trial runs from Victoria to Stalybridge (on diesel!) a few days ago. But I think EMUs would be a better use of the wires. Any suggestions?
For EMU, class 331. For bi mode, maybe 769? They aren't my favourite trains but given the bimode CAFs haven't appeared in UK gauge (although probably possible) and money is pretty tight at the moment, 769s may be the best answer, if they work.

AM9

Veteran Member
From the TRU thread:

Two 769s made trial runs from Victoria to Stalybridge (on diesel!) a few days ago. But I think EMUs would be a better use of the wires. Any suggestions as to which EMU service(s) might be extended to Stalybridge?
Ultimately, having demonstrated that the 769s can climb miles platting in a time that could resonably be timetabled, the additional performance when running on ac power suggests that any line where the country end services can be covered by the 769s in diesel mode could run through to Stalybridge. That could include Wigan (or even Southport) via Atherton, and the Kirkby line via Pemberton. There is of course the benefit of diagramming services on that line to reduce the occupancy of the Victoria platforms, even if the passenger take east of Victoria isn't huge.

66C

I understood the original purpose of the turnback facility at Stalybridge and also Rochdale was to allow all services to run through Victoria and not block its platforms. This seems to have been lost since the postponement of the Stalybridge electrification.

adamedwards

I assume any 802 operated services will switch to/from electric at Stalybridge, so maybe saving time when heading east up the hill and less pollution at Victoria.

Greybeard33

Established Member
Ultimately, having demonstrated that the 769s can climb miles platting in a time that could resonably be timetabled, the additional performance when running on ac power suggests that any line where the country end services can be covered by the 769s in diesel mode could run through to Stalybridge. That could include Wigan (or even Southport) via Atherton, and the Kirkby line via Pemberton. There is of course the benefit of diagramming services on that line to reduce the occupancy of the Victoria platforms, even if the passenger take east of Victoria isn't huge.

I understood the original purpose of the turnback facility at Stalybridge and also Rochdale was to allow all services to run through Victoria and not block its platforms. This seems to have been lost since the postponement of the Stalybridge electrification.
If the Manchester Recovery Task Force's preferred Option C is adopted next year, there will be 2tph from Southport to Stalybridge via Bolton, which could be worked by 769s. Once the Stalybridge wires are up, they would only need to use diesel west of Bolton. That would need just four diagrams, which would not fully utilise the Northern fleet of eight 769s even after allowing for maintenance.

After this recast there will be no services terminating at Victoria in the standard hour, but there will be a peak extra EMU service from Liverpool terminating there. Possibly this could be extended to Stalybridge when the wires are up, although I doubt that the bay Platform 5 at Stalybridge could reliably turn back more than 2tph. The Southport trains currently have a 25 minute layover at Stalybridge and they have to fit between the 4tph TPE expresses.

Kite159

Veteran Member
If the Manchester Recovery Task Force's preferred Option C is adopted next year, there will be 2tph from Southport to Stalybridge via Bolton, which could be worked by 769s. Once the Stalybridge wires are up, they would only need to use diesel west of Bolton. That would need just four diagrams, which would not fully utilise the Northern fleet of eight 769s even after allowing for maintenance.

After this recast there will be no services terminating at Victoria in the standard hour, but there will be a peak extra EMU service from Liverpool terminating there. Possibly this could be extended to Stalybridge when the wires are up, although I doubt that the bay Platform 5 at Stalybridge could reliably turn back more than 2tph. The Southport trains currently have a 25 minute layover at Stalybridge and they have to fit between the 4tph TPE expresses.

They could use is platform 2 assuming that is long enough?

Greybeard33

Established Member
They could use is platform 2 assuming that is long enough?
I believe the TRU remodelling plans for Stalybridge will get rid of the Platform 2 bay. In any case it is impractical to access it from the Ashton line. It would mean going right across the western throat of the station, threading through the 6tphpd of TPE trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.