• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What should I expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobRobRob

Good afternoon all,

Firstly can I just say this is the first time of posting in any sort of forum, so please bear with me!

I just wanted to get general thoughts on what to expect as a trainee driver. I start my new role on 30th January and I'm really excited and cannot wait to get going. How did people find the training? What is Northern like to work for? What happens when I pass my training?

All comments welcome!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Johncleesefan

Good afternoon all,

Firstly can I just say this is the first time of posting in any sort of forum, so please bear with me!

I just wanted to get general thoughts on what to expect as a trainee driver. I start my new role on 30th January and I'm really excited and cannot wait to get going. How did people find the training? What is Northern like to work for? What happens when I pass my training?

All comments welcome!

First of all congratulations and welcome to the grade. Prepare yourself for an intensive first year in training with lots to soak in and lots of homework and revision. I made a revision timetable for the exams which helped balance homelife too, having two kids and planning a wedding it was all achievable. You will be in school for a few months learning rules and traction then go out on an instructors shift pattern and route learn. At the end of the year you will have 2 weeks worth of exams (don't be scared, you will know what you need to by then ??????) and after that you will get your own roster and shifts.

Personally I loved my training year as made some good friends and had a laugh in the classroom, wasn't too strict.

For now chill out and just make sure you know where you have to report to on your first day and what yo bring then take it from there.

Good luck

fowler9

Established Member
I have no experience and can't tell you what to expect but wanted to say well done. Mate of mine is a driver for Northern and he loves it. He got his dream job and I hope it is the same for you. He has been doing it a while now and is involved in training new drivers so depending on where you are based you may get to meet him. Ha ha.

Louby

I'm on my last hurdle as coming to the end of my hours and trips, it's a hard slog but well worth it, won't lie and say it's been easy as it hasn't at times, but to hear my instructor say " you boxed em kid" ! Is a very good feeling ! Roll on pass out

Johncleesefan

Nice one louby. Glad to hear your due to pass out soon. It good feeling when all is done and you get your license and key

ComUtoR

Established Member
Remember its not just your first day. Your going to be joined by a class of people all starting out their journey to the driving grade. Everyone is gonna be nervous and probably haven't met each other before.

This is the perfect time to start forming working relationships and very much building friendships.

It goes without saying that you should be respectful and professional at all times but remember you guys and gals will be a team. Work together to help each other pass. It can be hard for some so help those who need it and if your one of those who is stuck, don't be afraid to ask for help. Working together as a class can really benefit your training. Even outside the classroom and through practical handling it will help. Most Trainees form revision groups of some description and share what is happening and their experiences.

There is no such thing as a silly question. I asked a few really stoopid ones :)

RobRobRob

Wow, thank you all for the positive feedback, I really appreciate it! From everything I've heard so far it sounds as though I'm in for a tough year, but by the sounds of it there is plenty of support to get me through. Just got to knuckle down and take one thing at a time. I can't tell you all how much I'm looking forward to taking on the challenge! :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'm on my last hurdle as coming to the end of my hours and trips, it's a hard slog but well worth it

Congratulations Louby, that's exactly what i wanted to hear. Can I ask how long you have been training for since the first day you walked through that classroom door? I understand that I need to take every day as it comes but I would also like to plan for the future in terms of moving home, wages etc.

But again, congratulations on coming to the end of your training!

Louby

Wow, thank you all for the positive feedback, I really appreciate it! From everything I've heard so far it sounds as though I'm in for a tough year, but by the sounds of it there is plenty of support to get me through. Just got to knuckle down and take one thing at a time. I can't tell you all how much I'm looking forward to taking on the challenge! :D

Congratulations Louby, that's exactly what i wanted to hear. Can I ask how long you have been training for since the first day you walked through that classroom door? I understand that I need to take every day as it comes but I would also like to plan for the future in terms of moving home, wages etc.

But again, congratulations on coming to the end of your training!

I started on the 18th April 2016, 16 weeks classroom, few weeks doing traction conversation etc. I'm on my 13th week of driving , with leave etc and a few other stuff I lost about 6 weeks driving but that's the way it goes, I know the pay rise is good but all I can't say is enjoy it and don't rush it , yes I can't wait to be on my own as that is one of the main reasons I applied , but I will miss the banter and wind ups with my instructor
Nice one louby. Glad to hear your due to pass out soon. It good feeling when all is done and you get your license and key

It's sooo close !!!! Can't wait!

maccalad

Hi Mate,
Is this at the Manchester training centre? Are you going to be based at Blackburn?

If so, I'll be on the same course.

Bromley boy

Established Member
Remember its not just your first day. Your going to be joined by a class of people all starting out their journey to the driving grade. Everyone is gonna be nervous and probably haven't met each other before.

This is the perfect time to start forming working relationships and very much building friendships.

It goes without saying that you should be respectful and professional at all times but remember you guys and gals will be a team. Work together to help each other pass. It can be hard for some so help those who need it and if your one of those who is stuck, don't be afraid to ask for help. Working together as a class can really benefit your training. Even outside the classroom and through practical handling it will help. Most Trainees form revision groups of some description and share what is happening and their experiences.

There is no such thing as a silly question. I asked a few really stoopid ones :)

The above is excellent advice. Couldn't agree more.

The rules course can be heavy going. You're in a small room with your coursemates for several weeks. As such, if you build good relationships with both colleagues and trainers, it will make the process a lot less painful.

G136GREYHOUND

A nice honeymoon period before the grim reality kicks in around 2 years time ! Good luck with it but don't imagine it's narnia

RobRobRob

I guess all training is done in the same place - so maybe I'll be seeing you at some point as I start Conductor training on 13 Feb, also to be based at Blackburn.

Nope, mines actually based in Manchester. About 2 mins from Piccadilly.
A nice honeymoon period before the grim reality kicks in around 2 years time ! Good luck with it but don't imagine it's narnia

Care to expand?

Lancs Lass

Yes, that's what I meant - think most training is done at the same place at the Training Centre near Piccadilly, so guess I'll be seeing some of you there.

Louby

Care to expand?

Training is normally at Boulton house for drivers and guards, and ignore the above, every job has it bad sides, in my opinion if you wake up in the morning and you really really don't want to go to work , it's time to move on , and no,I haven't been doing it long before some one comments!

Status
Not open for further replies.